800 mile roadtrip

-

MCPObr44

Reaction score
I'm heading one state over to visit some family this Christmas. It's going to be roughly an 800+ mile road trip (one way) in my 71 Valiant 225 \6.

Any suggestions on spares or tools I should bring along? I mostly keep a pretty well stocked tool kit in the back, along with plenty of the most important fluids. It's had a lot of work done on it since I bought it, with new brakes, rebuilt fuel makeithappener, new fuel pump, new rad, rebuilt power steering (still leaks, dang it), new tires, new belts, new lights, new fuel hoses, new rad hoses, new vacuum choke, tested vacuum advance, new sparkelators, new plug wires, new cap, new rotor, new voltage regulator, new batt-tree, new fuel sending unit, and probably more I've forgotten. Heck, I even replaced that heat riser tube under the air filter.

I have a spare set of points in the glove box if the pertronix poops out on me, along with the matching coil and ballast resistor.

Anything I've missed?

Depending on the states you will be going through...thermal undies and a gun

A good sleeping bag, rated for the climate you will be in and a few hundred in cash

Apparently you watch Vise Grip Garage. So do we, lol. You have a basic car that requires basic tools. You pretty much have it covered. Good luck on your trip and Merry Christmas!!!!

Apparently you watch Vise Grip Garage. So do we, lol. You have a basic car that requires basic tools. You pretty much have it covered. Good luck on your trip and Merry Christmas!!!!
Heh yeah, I was watching an episode while asking the question, so it sort of worked its way in there. I figure the man does a lot of what I'm about to do, so I was looking for ideas from his videos.

I'm one of those types of people who plans out a trip to every detail, makes lists, packs weeks ahead of time... and then ends up forgetting a toothbrush :D

Seven feet of heater hose, A fusible link, a set of alternator brushes, various bulbs.
and whatever it takes to install this stuff.
Oh yeah;
If traveling alone, don't eat until you get to your destination; else, bring toilet paper.

Seven feet of heater hose, A fusible link, a set of alternator brushes, various bulbs.
and whatever it takes to install this stuff.
Oh yeah;
If traveling alone, don't eat until you get to your destination; else, bring toilet paper.
Ah yes, that's the "probably more I've forgotten". I replaced the alternator brushes with new, and kept the half used ones as spare. I have spare bulbs for everything, the heater core is new, and so is the hose. I always keep TP handy.

I'll snag a new spare fusible link though. Thanks!

Ah yes, that's the "probably more I've forgotten". I replaced the alternator brushes with new, and kept the half used ones as spare. I have spare bulbs for everything, the heater core is new, and so is the hose. I always keep TP handy.

I'll snag a new spare fusible link though. Thanks!
Or maybe just carry a spare alt.? Maybe easier to just swap it. (I'm not familiar with the brush replacement procedure.)
I'm guessing the belt(s) is (are) in good order?

Or maybe just carry a spare alt.? Maybe easier to just swap it. (I'm not familiar with the brush replacement procedure.)
I'm guessing the belt(s) is (are) in good order?
Yep brand new belts. Swapping brushes on these old mopar units is pretty easy. It's not much harder than swapping brushes in a dremel tool. Just a couple screws and they pop right out. I could do it in five minutes.

I have become a firm believer in having a lithium jump battery in the trunk. Saves a lot of aggravation if the battery goes bad, or you just forget to shut the lights off.
This are the two I have, and they work great. However shop price. Prices vary greatly.
Topvision 2200a bought from walmart.com

Last edited:
Bring your own food and drinks. Check tire pressure and inflate to the high side, especially when going to colder climates, also the spare tire. Check all fluids and for you bring power steering fluid. Sun glasses, music and audio books. Enjoy

Some electrical stuff, few lengths of different size wire, various connectors, ect. Oh and a water whirler. Those two things are usually what bites you on a road trip.

Not sure why it posted in a quote box ^^ but I’m not changing it.

Piece of cardboard laying in the trunk under all your stuff. Beats laying on the ground if you have to!

(Seriously, your car should do just fine without all this crap. Go enjoy it!!)

Piece of cardboard laying in the trunk under all your stuff. Beats laying on the ground if you have to!

(Seriously, your car should do just fine without all this crap. Go enjoy it!!)
Actually I've kept a small tarp in all my cars (all two of them) for years because of this very thing.

Grab two plastic milk crates. In them put a couple jugs of antifreeze premixed 50/50, a jug of transmission fluid, some ps fluid with leak sealer in it, a set of booster cables, a booster pack and a roll of shop towels. Make sure you have a phone charger cord for your cell phone and a working cigar lighter socket to keep it charged, a credit card, some cash and go...

If all above information fails, Roadside assistance card.
I've had AAA for over 10 years. Ever since I first got my drivers license.

Only ever had to use it one time, when I locked myself out of the car. I couldn't imagine not having it.

With all the stuff your bringing you may need a set of these

1671157231977.png

Spare key. Put it in your wallet. You really don't want to accidently lock yourself out of your car 400 miles from nowhere.

Spare key. Put it in your wallet. You really don't want to accidently lock yourself out of your car 400 miles from nowhere.
My wife does that occasionally

Often enough for me to have a hide a key on her vehicle with a key that will unlock the door (still need a keyfob to start it)

Last month we were visiting friends in Indiana and we had taken her car

Wouldn't you know it, not only had I locked us out of it, I had also forgotten I had put the hid a key under there

Luckily she remembered

-
Back