833 OD Lever questions

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought an OD trans that has no levers or linkage. Ive been trying to find levers and linkage with no luck. Does anyone know the part numbers for the levers? Are the truck levers the same? I have found a lot of truck levers.

I bought an OD trans that has no levers or linkage. Ive been trying to find levers and linkage with no luck. Does anyone know the part numbers for the levers? Are the truck levers the same? I have found a lot of truck levers.
i don't know if this will help you or not. but, i took a 3 +od trans out of a 81 D100 short bed pickup and all i did was changed the tail shaft and housing and installed it in my wifes 72 swinger using all of her original shift linkage.
every thing bolted up like it was supposed to.. just had to readjust the linkage a couple of turns.
good luck and hope this helps.
Pete

Perhaps I can help, somewhat. The disclaimer, I'm nobody's idea of an expert. Maybe a reasonably informed amateur.

I have a rebuilt but not installed 833OD to go in my 66 Valiant (currently three on the tree). The guy that sold it to me said it would be a direct fit but this has yet to be determined. Here is a photo of the levers from that tranny.

tranny linkage 4.JPG

I also have an 82 D150, with the same tranny. I can verify the levers are the same, I matched them up. So if you have easy access to truck levers, it looks like these match up to a car tranny. As info, the only number I saw anywhere is the 967 on the back of the shortest lever, above.

When I set up my car linkage to compare them to the D150, nothing matched up. Everything is completely different - the truck stuff is for sure 2-3" shorter than the car stuff and the bends are way different.

Here is a photo of the current linkage under the truck. Hope this helps.

tranny linkage.jpg

tranny linkage.jpg

shift linkage 1.JPG

tranny linkage 2.JPG

I put the trans in neutral and dropped any old levers on there that I had laying around, that ended up near-vertical , like in the pics shown by halfafish. I did need the one offset lever as he has on the 1-2, to make the shifter line up in plan-view.
I moved my shifter to the rear and up high and mounted it on a thick steel plate with the stick where I wanted it to be and at the angle I wanted it to be at; then shifted it left to right on the trans with appropriate spacers I made from tubing, so it lined up to the levers..
Then I cut off the ends of several rods I had laying around and used them to make new cut-to-length and heat-to-bend rods, from some heavy-wall steel-tubing I bought for the job.
At the lever-end, after the tubes were shaped, I just slid the cut ends into the tight-fitting tubes and welded them in.
At the stick-end, a tapped the tubes for the adjusting ends, making sure to leave some adjustment.
IIRC, I used thick seamless cold-rolled tubing, with the right I.D. to be tapped for the ends I had scrounged. It worked great!, I haven't missed a shift since 2004.
Oh yeah, fixing the tunnel was a chore, and the carpet didn't fit all that well; but the shift quality was vastly superior, so to me, it was all worth it.
I have used a ball on the stick, ever since the T-handle came loose on a particularly nasty 2-3 shift in high-school, back in 1971. I think a guy only needs to clobber the dash once, to never want it to ever happen again.

I tried drilling levers when I did mine, the one I needed has a too small hole.

They're hardened, I guess. It didn't go well.

The levers are indeed hardened but only case hardened, so if you took a Dremel tool or small grinder to the area you want to drill and grind past the hardened layer you'll be able to drill right through with no problem. If you grind the area to be drilled but still can't get the bit to bite grind a little deeper.

Perhaps I can help, somewhat. The disclaimer, I'm nobody's idea of an expert. Maybe a reasonably informed amateur.

I have a rebuilt but not installed 833OD to go in my 66 Valiant (currently three on the tree). The guy that sold it to me said it would be a direct fit but this has yet to be determined. Here is a photo of the levers from that tranny.

View attachment 1715272262

I also have an 82 D150, with the same tranny. I can verify the levers are the same, I matched them up. So if you have easy access to truck levers, it looks like these match up to a car tranny. As info, the only number I saw anywhere is the 967 on the back of the shortest lever, above.

When I set up my car linkage to compare them to the D150, nothing matched up. Everything is completely different - the truck stuff is for sure 2-3" shorter than the car stuff and the bends are way different.

Here is a photo of the current linkage under the truck. Hope this helps.

View attachment 1715272270

View attachment 1715272271

View attachment 1715272272

View attachment 1715272273
Thanks for the replies, Brewers has 1 set of truck levers, also a guy on eBay has a set of truck levers. I haven't seen a set of OD linkage yet. I have the Hurst shifter but no shifter plate yet. I did this conversion in my Dart but can't remember which levers I had. The linkage that came with the truck shifter are short and pretty straight.

The linkage that came with the truck shifter are short and pretty straight.

Yes, the truck linkages are much shorter, and pretty much more straight. Somehow my above photos only included two of the three rods of what I believe are the correct rods for your ride. Here's a photo of the last one.

As info, I was told the correct shifter plate was a Hurst 2298. Photos included. This came from what I consider to be an extremely knowledgeable source, but as yet I can't verify it as I haven't actually bolted anything up for a real-world test.

100_1865.JPG
100_1876.JPG
100_1877.JPG

Sadly, as I accumulate parts based on best information, I keep hearing Johnny Cash singing about his stolen Cadillac he got one piece at a time in his lunchbox, but when he went to bolt it up but all the holes were gone... :eek::eek::eek:

Hopefully I don't suffer that same fate. Good luck in your search.

Yes, the truck linkages are much shorter, and pretty much more straight. Somehow my above photos only included two of the three rods of what I believe are the correct rods for your ride. Here's a photo of the last one.

As info, I was told the correct shifter plate was a Hurst 2298. Photos included. This came from what I consider to be an extremely knowledgeable source, but as yet I can't verify it as I haven't actually bolted anything up for a real-world test.

View attachment 1715272654 View attachment 1715272655 View attachment 1715272656

Sadly, as I accumulate parts based on best information, I keep hearing Johnny Cash singing about his stolen Cadillac he got one piece at a time in his lunchbox, but when he went to bolt it up but all the holes were gone... :eek::eek::eek:

Hopefully I don't suffer that same fate. Good luck in your search.
Thanks for the info and pics! Everyone Ive talked to agrees the 2298 Pad will work. I talked to Brewers and they said the truck levers will work. They had one set of OD linkage for sale for $149. plus the truck levers and shipping would $210 - $220 plus a shift plate out of my budget for now . The trans and parts are almost as much as my car costs.........pedal assy. flywheel......

Hey guys, let's not turn this into a sale thread. If you have something for sale, contact the other member through a personal message. Thanks.

-
Back