833 rebuild

-

hemidart69

Reaction score
Have a 69 Dart GTS 528 Hemi. Need to get the tranny rebuilt to get it on the road. I'm in northern Indiana. Tried Brewers but they are 9-12 months out.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you Tom

try Paul at Liberty in Mt. Clemens 586 469-1140
they turned mine around in 3 or 4 weeks last year..

The best advice that I can offer you is to get the 833 Transmission Manual that both Jamie Passion and Brewers sell. It was a very valuable resource when I rebuilt mine. You might even be able to get one cheaper thru Amazon.

I did mine and one for my brother the word got out locally and ended up with half a dozen more before the smoke cleared. Get the books clean and inspect the parts replace if in question and lube them as you assemble so nothing sticks together. It's not very difficult and I like Brewers gaskets.

Okay, @hemidart69, I have a couple of questions for you.

First; Are you a decent mechanic? @mcodecuda and @Oldmanmopar and @69hemibeep are right. The 833 IS an easy rebuild. About 20 years ago, I converted my 69 Barracuda from an automatic to a 4 speed with parts from a 69 Barracuda Parts car. The transmission made a grinding noise going into third, so I pulled it and thought I'd try the rebuild myself. Using an article on 833 rebuild from an old Mopar Muscle Magazine and the Factory Repair manual, I tore into it. I bought a rebuild kit from Brewers. You can get them cheaper elsewhere, but they are good people. I took lots of pictures throughout (they came in handy later even with the two reference manuals). I did take one of the shafts to Topeka Transmission (best transmission shop in the area) to have them press off the bearings and press the new ones on. It worked fine after the rebuild. If you are a decent mechanic, you can certainly rebuild it yourself.

Second, since you are building a 69 Dart with a 528 Hemi, I assume you can afford to have the transmission rebuilt. That means you need to find a place to have it done. A specialty shop like Brewers is awesome, because that is all they do. However, any competent (emphasis on competent) transmission guy who has experience with 4 speed rebuilding can do it. When I took the shaft to Topeka Transmission, they told me they had a few guys who could do it and quoted me a reasonable price with a quick turnaround. You could probably find a similar transmission shop in your area. 833s are easy to rebuild, so like I said, any competent person with manual transmission experience can do it.
Good luck with whichever route you take.

Give Jamie a call at Passon Performance.570-401-8949
I mean NO disrespect to you at all, but after the problems some people had with Jamie's 5 speed 833 replacement transmission, and the super poor customer service he gave at least a few of our members, I would not give him one dime. I do realize that several members have his 5 speed and like them, but the screw jobs on the others more than offset that.

I mean NO disrespect to you at all, but after the problems some people had with Jamie's 5 speed 833 replacement transmission, and the super poor customer service he gave at least a few of our members, I would not give him one dime. I do realize that several members have his 5 speed and like them, but the screw jobs on the others more than offset that.
Agreed, I’d go with brewers for anything you can’t find locally.

He rebuilt my 4 sp and all was good. But that was 15 years ago, so things with him must have changed as I had both good service and no problems after the work was done. But things do change as we all know.

Have a 69 Dart GTS 528 Hemi. Need to get the tranny rebuilt to get it on the road. I'm in northern Indiana. Tried Brewers but they are 9-12 months out.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you Tom
I can't do anything about how much work I have in the shop right now, but if you decide to tear into it yourself I'm only an email away if you get stuck, have questions, etc.

When ever I have an issue with a 833 I call Dan at Brewers. He just helped with and issue we were having with a 23 spline. He explained what the cause of the problem was and sold me the one part needed to fix it. Its back in the car and works perfect.

I can't do anything about how much work I have in the shop right now, but if you decide to tear into it yourself I'm only an email away if you get stuck, have questions, etc.
How's that for customer service. Before you were even a customer! That's why so many recommended Dan

-
Back