9 old tools almost nobody uses anymore

-
I would love to have an analyzer. Played with one back in college, they had a huge one stuffed in the corner of the shop. I just thought it was cool. Tossed my obd stuff out a while back. Nice snap on scanner with all the cards and boxes. Should have kept it might be worth something some day
Hoppy has some I bet. You would need to make a run out east to pick one up. It would be an adventure. Ray is a great guy.

I have a lot of "STUFF", from the '80's, and '90's. Not really obsolete, as they are used on "our" cars, but not really usable on the new vehicles.
10 lbs of "stuff", in a 5 lb box. Been collecting tools and equipment for 67 years.

Had a guy from another forum buy $4000 of tools from me awhile back. He told me anything made in USA he would take.
My days of wrenching are getting thin.No one in my family will want anything when I'm gone.
Maybe some young hot rodder will get it all.I can only hope.

Hoppy has some I bet. You would need to make a run out east to pick one up. It would be an adventure. Ray is a great guy.
Speaking of Hoppy, I have a "Hoppy" head light aiming setup. Don't have all the adapters, though. Would like to find them, at a reasonable price.

Speaking of Hoppy, I have a "Hoppy" head light aiming setup. Don't have all the adapters, though. Would like to find them, at a reasonable price.
I have a set too. Man, it has been years since I opened the big "suitcase". I'm sure there's not much for adapters inside. I remember at the dealership we had a whole wall of adapters. Rarely did we use them.

Here's an old one I don't use nearly as often as I should.

fullsizeoutput_12f8.jpeg

I have a set too. Man, it has been years since I opened the big "suitcase". I'm sure there's not much for adapters inside. I remember at the dealership we had a whole wall of adapters. Rarely did we use them.
I don't have the adapters for my 88 Diplomat. Called all around the area to see if any one (including dealers) could aim them. Absolutely no one had a aiming machine. They all said they just "shoot" the wall.

I was just thinking, I need to get a distributor wrench. It's hard to get in there with a stubby ratchet and socket.

Snap-On drive on alignment rack with turn plates, and Hunter caster/camber gauges. Front wheel alignment only.
Just back-on the rack, & reverse the toe readings for the rears. Did a piss-load of rear shims & aligns that way before We put up a 4-post & replaced the Lite-Align with a K111 system. Good old days, lolol.

I don't have the adapters for my 88 Diplomat. Called all around the area to see if any one (including dealers) could aim them. Absolutely no one had a aiming machine. They all said they just "shoot" the wall.
The private shop I worked, referenced above, kept those updated 'til We got the "camera on tracks" sensor-style. We had the adjustable 3-leg composite adapters good for models to at least '08 models with the "nubs". He may let that setup go if He didn't toss it, I have that K111 now, they don't do alignments there any longer so I picked that up. Let me know if You're interested, I can drop by there & see if it's still there.

Just back-on the rack, & reverse the toe readings for the rears. Did a piss-load of rear shims & aligns that way before We put up a 4-post & replaced the Lite-Align with a K111 system. Good old days, lolol.

Ok, asking for a friend…what is more??? A piss load or a **** load?

Again, asking for a friend.

Shooting a wall is a lot more accurate, especially now with these damned "everybody has a custom" set of headlights

Ok, asking for a friend…what is more??? A piss load or a **** load?

Again, asking for a friend.
"Depends", on what job You were fed. A piss-load is harder to contain, but much more tolerable, a ****-load is easier to handle but a dirty job.

Another thing people should use, is the booklet that says "directions", or "owners manual".

My Dad (long gone now) used to bust my chops for actually reading the directions or referring to a manual while working on my car or anything else. Of course, he screwed a lot of things up.

Had a old drive on AMMCO rack that sat in the corner because of no place to set it up.Kid next door took it to the scrap yard.
Kept the turn tables,bubble gauges and toe trammel bar.Still use those items today.
I may have those exact ones. My toe setup I cannot use. It is some light projecting/ mirror/ magnifier deal that is magnetic, and won't stay on the spindles, heavy and cumbersome. I bought a trammel setup off egag that turned out to be for heavy trucks, had to cut it down to get it under the Dart LOL. I don't have a shop, so I jacked and blocked the car trailer level and used that for a "rack."

ammcotg-jpg-jpg.jpg

_mg_6332-jpg-jpg.jpg

_mg_6330-jpg-jpg.jpg

I also bought an electronic Hunter alignment machine, which I hoped "housed" a DOS computer that I could simplify. This early model instead, had a very very proprietary, clumsy, heavy computer setup that was all or nothing. Basically what I came out of there with, was some wheel clamp units, that I cam going to modify (remove the electronics modules) and behind them are actually plates that will accomodate a universal, magnetic caster/ camber gauge.

Well LOL you guys inspired me a bit. Went out and dug out the old Hunter units and tore them apart. This gives me 2 good wheel adapters to clunk my old caster/ camber gauge on + a spare. The mounts for the original sensors are "quite handily" steel, so the Ammco claps right on, and those round plates are adjustable with the 3 screws, just like leveling a tripod

Hunter2.JPG

Hunter1.JPG

I have used all of these tools except the babbit mold. I did have a babbit scraping tool though. I still use the plug gauge shown along with a wire plug guage, a Sears engine analyzer with dell & tach, electrical analyzer, vacuum gauge, air ratchet & impact, air grinders, several sized distributor wrenches. I wish I still had my Allen oscilloscope and distributor machine.

-
Back