904 abuse

-

phf

Reaction score
Hey gents. I was wondering just how much abuse a 904 can take. A couple of years back a good friend sold me his 904 for $50. It has about 2000 miles on a rebuild, manual valve body, shift kit, deep pan. He ran it behind a blown 340. Dont know how much power he made, but he sold me the tranny because he said it was slipping a lot.

Would it make sense to rebuild it, or my spare 904, with heavy duty parts. I plan on building a 318 on nitrous and racing my Barracuda weekly at the track as well as driving it on the street.

There's a LOT of people running 904's with great success at high power levels. Yours in not super/ turboed? How much HP do you expect to make?

They are a lot stronger than you would think. they are a little lighter than the 727 and for that reason some people prefer them over the big meaty 727

Mine has riveted in roller sprag, Kevlar bands and blue plate special front clutch pack. I would put it up against the same in 727 anyday of the week. It is used alot in racing due to the weight factor. Mine is for sale also.

What bremereric said, also much less reciprocating mass. We run one in the C/M Dakota 11.20's all weekend, change the fluid at the first of the season and race it.

Bill S.

Thank you, gentlemen. I've heard a good friend tell me about the same. I plan on running 100 shot of laughing gas through it, but he has assured me that when properly built, the 904 can handle a lot more than that

I ran 10.64@123 with a built 904,tranny cost me $600 built.It,s the t.convertor cost me more than the trans.(8 inch coan 4500 stall):wack:

I ran 10.61@123 with a built 904,tranny cost me $600 built.It,s the t.convertor cost me more than the trans.(8 inch coan 4500 stall):wack:

What kind of internals are you running? I'm told that a manual valve body is a must, but the build sheet stops there lol

Cope Racing has majority of the parts, can also put in a lower 1st and 2nd gear planetary in as well. Get's my 68 barracuda off the line quick even running a stock converter.

they hold a lot of power reliably if built properly. don't really need anything exotic init either.

don't have to worry about it exploding like that overweight pig of a trans the 727.

Cope Racing has majority of the parts, can also put in a lower 1st and 2nd gear planetary in as well. Get's my 68 barracuda off the line quick even running a stock converter.

Thank you. Ill get them on the phone and get my credit card out :blob:

They can be built to hold that little sissy blowed 340 and then some. lol

-
Back