904 help

-

Kart74

Reaction score
I have a 318 with a 904 that I just rebuilt. I put in a tci shift kit and Hughes converter. At first it wouldn't shift to 3rd until way too high. I have been working the kickdown cable and got it better. I noticed the other day after it sat for a few days I started it up and went to take off, but it was like there was no pressure. Or low on fluid. After revving a few times it took off and was fine. This has happened again after letting it sit. Any ideas what would cause this? Fluid is full on dipstick while running in neutral. Thanks

It sounds to me like a front pump issue = Possible pressure loss
but the shifting is probably linkage adjustment and unrelated.

Last edited:
It’s called torque converter drain back. Start it in neutral and run it for a minute or two. Did the TCI kit come with a new manual valve? Did u put the converter valve back in the right way? What are the clearances in the clutch packs. Did u do any other mods to it? Kim

It’s called torque converter drain back. Start it in neutral and run it for a minute or two. Did the TCI kit come with a new manual valve? Did u put the converter valve back in the right way? What are the clearances in the clutch packs. Did u do any other mods to it? Kim
Converter drainback. I have 3 Mopars and 2 of them gave that issue and one is a 96 overdrive. Sounds like the shifting issue is kickdown adjustment.

The tci kit was a full rebuild kit with a shift kit. All clearances where in spec. The kit did not come with a new valve body, and I just modded the existing. The kit had tow, street/strip, and race. I followed the street steps. The drain back is exactly what it seems like. Is that normal? Something that needs to be fixed?

"All clearances were in spec"...means nothing....post the specs...then WE tell YOU if they're in specs..

"All clearances were in spec"...means nothing....post the specs...then WE tell YOU if they're in specs..
Honestly it was my first rebuild and I don't remember. I checked everything against the tci and stock specs.

I've heard that a jillion times....okay maybe just twenty times...End play, front clutch clearance and forward clutch clearance. "TCI full rebuild kit" has me rolling my eyes....not sure about anybody else on here...Where is the fluid on the stick EXACTLY?

I've heard that a jillion times....okay maybe just twenty times...End play, front clutch clearance and forward clutch clearance. "TCI full rebuild kit" has me rolling my eyes....not sure about anybody else on here...Where is the fluid on the stick EXACTLY?
Fluid is just below the full line. Other than the little bit high 2-3 shift it seems good. Just have this no pressure thing that I was mainly concerned about. If that is "normal" then I will work on the kickdown adjustment and see if I can get it

The Transgo II 904 reprogram kit allows the pump to pump in Park and Neutral, and helps reroute the torque converter drain back problem.

No more morning sickness.

Screenshot_20220710-225135_Firefox.jpg

20220710_225334.jpg

Transgo made a specific kit to stop drain back & it contained a new manual valve.

SIR, listen CAREFULLY; there is no such thing as a "little below the full mark". BECAUSE some transmissions won't suck up all the fluid out of the pan; leaving enough to show on the stick; especially if the tube jams down into the case. Run it 1/4" above the full mark. It's no big deal. You could actually be a quart low....NOT IN SPECS>>>>>

The old TH350 had a mismarked full line. Always ran them a quart over full. They were sluggish if u didn’t add an extra qt. Kim

Last edited:
I had an old friend who was an old school transmission man for over sixty years in Macon and was also a Mopar guy. He always told me to ignore the dipstick and keep adding fluid until the transmission went into gear INSTANTLY when the shifter was put in D. Normally that ended up being a little over full on the dipstick, but they always worked best like that.

I had an old friend who was an old school transmission man for over sixty years in Macon and was also a Mopar guy. He always told me to ignore the dipstick and keep adding fluid until the transmission went into gear INSTANTLY when the shifter was put in D. Normally that ended up being a little over full on the dipstick, but they always worked best like that.

This is interesting, more fluid in the pan helps the converter from draining back??

Wonder if this is something like not having enough water in the P-Trap below the sink to keep the septic gasses from entering the house??

Wonder if there is something to this to have it slightly over full so it goes right into gear, not having to fill the torque converter again after sitting?

Was under the impression that having it a little over full they are more likely to leak trans fluid out the vent, dripping at the front of the trans, Don't Know?

Would like to hear more on this of other people's experience.

Thanks

Best bet on the converter drain back so far is the Transgo shift kit.

Reroutes the pump to pump in park and neutral, less likely to drain back with the new configuration. Have had success with one of these kits.

Screenshot_20220710-225053_Firefox.jpg

-
Back