904 help

-

65fish

65fish
Reaction score
Well guys and girls Ive been checking this most wonderful site for some time now and 99.9% of the time I find the answer I need. But this time I need all the help I can get. I have had the trans out of my 65 barracuda 3 times in the last 2 years for the same problem. It starts pouring fluid out the front under the torque converter. The motor trans rebuild has at most 10,000 miles on it. The car has been completelly restored for about 12 years. The last time I had it out had the converter hub and input shaft checked. ID" OD" is good. All new seals and bushings throughout. Motor is 273 commando .030 over MP purlple cam. .450 .455 spitfire headers. and of course the problem child of mine 904A cable shifted trans. If the car wasnt all original the trans would be in the trash by now.

I performed my first 904 overhaul last year on the 66 with great results and installed a Transgo shift improver kit. One of the issues it claims to resolve is front bushing and seal burn up.

I used their SK®TFSC kit and I really like the shift firmness. I'm not a transmission expert by any means, but maybe someone else here can chime in on this one. The Transgo site link for the Mopar stuff is below.

http://www.transgo.com/sk_dodge.php

Thats the same Kit I used. It worked great for about 8-9 years. Now I cant seem to get the leak stopped. Shifts into all gears fine just pours out the front?

well its obviously a sealing issue somewhere in the front of the trans. so the next thing is, where is it leaking at? converter hub or around the pump? was the converter or pump ever replaced at some point? I think, IIRC, those are the only two seals in the front of the trans, if so, then it has to be one of them....or you have a crack in the case somewhere.
-Tim

The other times when the trans was pulled and put back in did it start leaking right away or did you drive it for some time before it started leaking? Also, does it have to be warmed up before it starts Leaking?

passengers.jpg
I had a friend and his 68 Valiant had a torque converter that was cracked , he pulled it a few times and seals before he figured out it was the torque converter.

The last time it was pulled it was fine for about 4 months then started leaking again. Converter was sent to check for damage. They said it was in great shape. I did find out that I have been using the wrong filter for like 15 years! oops. Should have been using the one with 2 holes not one. Gonna try to change it tonight and see what happens

Well looks like the trans will be comming out again. Damn this is getting old. I have done everything that I can with it in the car. Correct filter, Deep pan, Stock Pan, Cable adjustments, Original valve body (no shift kit), modified valve body (shift kit). I guess my next step is pull it check the OD of the converter and compair it to the original one i have and then compair that to the converter seal. We got a lot of snow and ice last week so i guess i have plenty of time now. But on the positive side. The fish had not been started in about 8 months took about 10 cranks to get fuel but fired right up. Now I remember why we spent so much time and money on the little 273. BTW if anyone tells you a 273 will not wind up above 7000 RPMs just slap em in the face and send them my way.

Take some pics when you find your problem,it may help others with similar issues.Thanks and good luck finding the problem.

Well just an update to the leaking. Trans was pulled I figured start from the front. measured the JW performace converter and compaired it to my original and the are a little different. Called JW and the are sending me the specs that it "should" be. Also tried to put the original converter back in just for giggle and it will not drop all the way in? went ahead and pulled the pan and valve body to inspect and put the rebuilt one with the shift kit back in. trans looks good no burnt smell and no metal shavings. Looks like the converter hub OD is about .0031" smaller then the original. I am also pretty sure that if the seal and converter hub are both supposed to be 1.50" then the converter is just "floating" not riding on the bushing. Converter OD was 1.499". I guess my next step will be pull the front pump and start inspecting it. I am also going to try to find another front pump so if anyone has one laying around let me know.

was board last night so took my chicken scratches and made look a little better. these are the specs I came up with.

65 converter.JPG

check the hub on the torque convertor for cracks,they famous for that

Hey WAGGIN:cheers: you just won the $1,000,000 question to my leaking trans. Turned out the weld around the hub was leaking. Took the converter to the sho today to pressure test and it starting blowing bubbles at 1.5psi. No wonder there 4 quarts of trans fluid on the floor after 30 seconds of run time.

Thanks everyone for helping trouble shoot this. FABO just went to the top of my short cut list !!!

..........That is actually a very common problem..........the biggest reason i never run a 904 is the hub..........cracks or breaks off..........dont ask me how i know................when i get something with a 904 type i change it over 2 the 727 style pronto........kim.......

-
Back