904 squirting

-

Payy

Reaction score
Hey!

Just replaced my 904 after burning the cluch (i think) with another used 904.

It seemed to be working, but made a loud rattling noice while the trans was in (neutral, drive, reverse) at first. Could sound like a bad bearing somewhere but it disappeared after running in neutral for a while.

I started driving very carefully to let the trans get its components running easy and getting lubricated etc. (it haven´t been used in 8 years or so). It seemed to give the engine a little resistance and shifted a little to firmly into drive, but otherwise seemed to be running ok.
After a while it started to spray out the fluid while I was driving, so I stopped in in a side road and let it cool down. Then I refilled it with fluid and started up again, and as soon as I put it in neutral it starts splashing out again.
I couldn´t see exactly from where it came, but it looks like its somewhere in the the area probably right above the pan, on the drivers side.

Any ideas here? :S

How many liters of fluid have you put in?When installing the t.convertor,did it go in correctly?It,s either overfilled and coming out the vent tube(inside housing,behind the t.convertor)Or you,ve damaged the pump.Pull a trans line off and run in nuetral,put the line in a coffee can or jug and check for fluid pressure.Good luck.

Hey! I guess I had about 7-8 liters of fluid.

I´ll double check the cooling lines tomorrow but think they are fine, its not that much pressure on them is it?

Forgot to mention that I can actually hear it from inside the car when its blowing out fluid!

Edit: I guess I had about 0,3 liters in the converter when installing it, I am pretty sure it went on correctly, it was a nightmare to finally get it to slide in correctly, but it finally did and I measured it to be correctly too. Since the converter is turning in park with no problems I am still pretty sure that its ok :)

The noise was probably air in the system. Air in the system can make a lot of racket. The noise disappeared because the air worked it's way out. The cooler lines have plenty of pressure to pee a nice big stream and they are the only thing on the drivers side above the pan rail that's pressurized.

Wait what? Air? How do I get air in the system, and more important, how do I get it out? :S

Altso I broke part of one of the cooler pipes while unscrewing it from the trans, the guy at my local amcar-store said I could just cut it and place a fuel hose there because the pressure there was kind of low, but is this true or could that be the problem?

Which line, the forward one or the rearward one? The forward one is under pressure from the pump, the rear one is a return line (still pressurized but not as much). If you hose is on the forward one that's probably where it's coming from.

Wait what? Air? How do I get air in the system, and more important, how do I get it out? :S

You said you replaced the transmission, right? Any time you do that it is a natural occurrence to get some air in the system upon assembly especially since you said the transmission had been setting for 8 yrs. so every drop of ATF probably drained out of it. If you re-read my post I said the air works it's way out of the system naturally so there's no need to over-think this and worry. It'll be fine after a trip around the block.

Altso I broke part of one of the cooler pipes while unscrewing it from the trans, the guy at my local amcar-store said I could just cut it and place a fuel hose there because the pressure there was kind of low, but is this true or could that be the problem?

DO NOT USE FUEL LINE TO REPAIR A TRANSMISSION LINE!! Stupid auto parts guys will tell you that it's ok but it's not. Fuel line is not up to par for use with ATF and may very well fail. Find some low pressure hydraulic return hose (power steering return hose works if it's the same diameter) and use it, or if there's not much line missing you can use a compression fitting to repair it.

Possible, not from ATF but from pressure. I would replace the line with all steel if it were me that's the pressure line from the pump. You can fix it with a compression union and a piece of line, but that's just more potential for a leak.

Hey again.
Had a look under there today, and it turns out that it was that friggin piece og hose. It had a longitudinal hole and the whole thing was kind of sloppy and soft so i do believe that the ATF has made it weaker, and the pressure was obviously to high for it to handle!
Kids: Don´t put fuel-hoses on your trans cooler-pipes ;)

Thanks for all the great responses!

Hey again.
Had a look under there today, and it turns out that it was that friggin piece og hose. It had a longitudinal hole and the whole thing was kind of sloppy and soft so i do believe that the ATF has made it weaker, and the pressure was obviously to high for it to handle!
Kids: Don´t put fuel-hoses on your trans cooler-pipes ;)

Thanks for all the great responses!

Glad to hear you found it.:thumrigh:

-
Back