904 torque converter questions

-

swinger 74

Reaction score
I asked this in another post bit no replys. Ok when the torque converter is seated all the way in the pump is there supposed to be movement from side to side and up and down? Or should it be in nice and snug without any movement?

just got the tranny back from being rebuilt and still seems to have to much paly. like before rebuild. can move it side to side and up and down quite a bit with your hands. also all the way seated the TQ rubs the pump

100% positive its all the way in. you cant put your fingers behind it and also it clicked 3 times and the back of the TQ rubs against the pump

Once you bolt it to the flywheel I would think all that would end. Have these two parts operated together properly in the past?

The torque converter could be worn also. When both parts are new condition there isn't a lot of movement there. I'm sure there is a specification/tolerance but don't know what it is or where to find it. I'm going to guess, no more than .01 between I.D. and O.D.

Movement is more than .01 The torque converter is a reconditioned one from the rebuilder. Wish I knew how to post videos on here. I would take a video and post it.

Movement is more than .01 The torque converter is a reconditioned one from the rebuilder. Wish I knew how to post videos on here. I would take a video and post it.
Well of course the movement seen several inches away in 2 directions would be exponentially more that the I.D. O.D. fitment.
First thing that comes to mind or example I can come up with... Turning a satellite dish only 3 degrees to aim at satellites positioned 250 miles apart. Anyway...
The trans case and the back of the block are machined to align them within some tolerance also.
If you need to lift the torque converter to get its bolt holes aligned with flex plate holes, there most definitely is a problem. That's along way to go for discovery though.
Sometimes our only choice is to trust in our rebuilder, bolt it up and drive it.
p.s. continuing to wobble the torque converter about aint good of that seal.

It's normal for the converter to hit the pump when it's not bolted up to the flywheel, and it's also normal to have slop when the converter register isn't in the end of the crank shaft.
The crankshaft centers and supports the engine side of the converter, and bolting it up to the flywheel sets the depth in the pump.

I think TrailBeast is correct. You aren't wiggling the converter, you are wiggling the trans shaft because it has no support on one end.

-
Back