904 tranny cooler line fittings replacement

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am looking to see if anyone knows of what the two cooler fittings part numbers are for my 63 904 tranny with a slant six.

I replaced my cooler lines and they are leaking on me. I have gotten under the car and tightened them as much as I can and it looks like one of the cooler lines may be cross threaded.

I figured I would get replacements (hopefully!) to have on hand for the next time I get under the car and drop the rear of the tranny to gain access. (Learned having parts on hand when I fixed my oil pump leak on my rebuilt engine!)

I appreciate the help.
Cheers.
John

Unscrew the fittings and hard line off the transmission. Then unscrew the brass fitting that goes into the transmission. Do the same thing at the radiator. Bring the parts down to a good auto parts or hardware store and match them up. They are pipe threads on the trans and radiator side and flare fittings for the double flare on the hardlines.

You can make your own new lines with a double flare kit and a decent quality tubing bender from Summit or Jegs. Mopars use 1/4" hardlines, while everyone else uses 5/16" hardlines. The fittings will have to match your existing hardlines etc.

Or you can order the lines pre-made with new fittings for your specific car from any number of aftermarket manufacturers. Do a Google search.

Thanks JBC, the lines are new from Summit but I connected them with the tranny in place, kicking myself for not installing them on the floor before putting the tranny back into the car. Now paying the price.
So you say the lines are 1/4 and not 5/16? I found some info that said they were 5/16 so thanks for that info. Ill mic them to be sure I dont screw it up.
I found a dorman # 800-713 for the straight line fitting but that is for the 5/16 size line.
Cheers!

Just a FYI, the 63 has a unique set of cooler lines with an inline filter...non in the pan in that year. I've got that whole set-up..PM me if you need it.

Thanks Punk, when I did the rebuild on the 904 I installed an internal filter and removed the external one. I got a new set of cooler lines from Summit that fit correctly, just screwed up and did not install the lines before installing the tranny into the car.
I will be pulling the line tomorrow I believe and seeing if I damaged the fitting and the line and go from there.
Thanks for all the help!

pulled the leaking line yesterday and removed the fitting, plugged the tranny to keep the fluid from leaking out and headed to my favorite parts places here, Tacoma Screw in Kirkland and picked up a new 1/4" x 5/16" fitting for a buck or so and even got an extra, never know when I might have to replace another one on another /6 I say.
Went home and put in the fitting with some Teflon and reformed (bent) the cooler line that caused me to cross thread and it slipped on all the way tight by finger tightening and I cinched it up with a wrench.
Fired up my Lil Thing and took of for a little ride and voila no leaking! Yeah!
Now on to getting the exhaust replaced and the interior completed and a new top but this will be next year I fear, dang it seems never ending!
Cheers to yall!

Howdy,

I just picked up my duster a few months back, and I had a cut transmission cooler line, the return feed. Is there any trick to installing the new line. I bought the lines pre bent.

thanks for your help

Welcome!
Biggest problem I had was access to get the lines on and not being cross-threaded and then turn the wrench. First attempt was cross-threaded. I ended up dropping the rear of the tranny so I could make sure the lines went on straight and then tighten them more easily.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

-
Back