904 tranny pan question

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I am having problems getting the factory 904 tranny pan to seal. I have tried cork gaskets, Felpro gaskets, using gasket material and using it dry and it will still puddle under the car after awhile. I can see drips on the front row of pan bolts. I am assuming that the pan isnt sealing. Can you tell me where I can get a cast aluminum pan for this at a reasonable price .

Ok guys I am having problems getting the factory 904 tranny pan to seal. I have tried cork gaskets, Felpro gaskets, using gasket material and using it dry and it will still puddle under the car after awhile. I can see drips on the front row of pan bolts. I am assuming that the pan isnt sealing. Can you tell me where I can get a cast aluminum pan for this at a reasonable price .
Did you flatten out the bolt holes? They are usually concave after years of over tightening.

This^^^^. Also, are you SURE it's not leaking from the dipstick tube O ring?? That will drip off the front bolts, too.

Did you clean out the bolt holes?

Maybe the bolt is bottoming before the pan gasket is sealed fully.

Realgaskets.com

makes a silicon gasket for 904 pans, I have had great results with their thermostat gasket 7 years not a drop.

i just installed this pan: Summit Racing SME-1010R Summit Racing™ Aluminum Transmission Pans | Summit Racing

it's beefy. considerably heavier and stiffer than a stock pan. the fit was reasonable, not perfect but no real heavy adjustments or fighting. the 12 point hardware is nice, but the base of the cap heads don't really index super neatly into the counter bore holes. the billet spacer is whatever, it's a spacer, it does spacer things, and that hardware was fine, the filter looked like just a parts store filter. the drain plug is decent and sits flush so you won't snag it on anything.

the gasket came folded up like a newspaper and was straight trash, i went with this reusable one from lube locker: LubeLocker LLT-A999 LubeLocker Transmission Pan Gaskets | Summit Racing the stock mopar one, moroso and this one are all about the same price and probably made by the same company.

anyway, dude's driven it and thrashed if for a few weeks now and hasn't reported any leaks.

if you were looking to do it bucks down, a steel 999 pan from the junkyard (or off amazon) and that gasket plus the spacer and you'd be cooking. or summit sells it in all one go, just tack on the gasket and you'd be in for like a hundo. RT Off-Road RT24001 RT Off-Road Transmission Pans | Summit Racing

i just installed this pan: Summit Racing SME-1010R Summit Racing™ Aluminum Transmission Pans | Summit Racing

it's beefy. considerably heavier and stiffer than a stock pan. the fit was reasonable, not perfect but no real heavy adjustments or fighting. the 12 point hardware is nice, but the base of the cap heads don't really index super neatly into the counter bore holes. the billet spacer is whatever, it's a spacer, it does spacer things, and that hardware was fine, the filter looked like just a parts store filter. the drain plug is decent and sits flush so you won't snag it on anything.

the gasket came folded up like a newspaper and was straight trash, i went with this reusable one from lube locker: LubeLocker LLT-A999 LubeLocker Transmission Pan Gaskets | Summit Racing the stock mopar one, moroso and this one are all about the same price and probably made by the same company.

anyway, dude's driven it and thrashed if for a few weeks now and hasn't reported any leaks.

if you were looking to do it bucks down, a steel 999 pan from the junkyard (or off amazon) and that gasket plus the spacer and you'd be cooking. or summit sells it in all one go, just tack on the gasket and you'd be in for like a hundo. RT Off-Road RT24001 RT Off-Road Transmission Pans | Summit Racing
Yes! I second this.
The added capacity and that drain bolt on the bottom are great bonuses as well.
I used the steel one mentioned in the quote for my A999 tranny.

I've seen the drain plugs on the bottom of the summit pans crack the pan due to over-tightening.
Instead of a conventional 1/2x20 drain plug it is a pipe plug (with tapered pipe threads).

I use the factory pan gasket for the a-500 on all my 904 transmissions. Rigid plastic, with rubber strips for sealing. It looks like the lube locker gasket in post #7. and it is reusable. You might need to use "slightly" longer pan bolts.

I was looking at jegs for a pan.thanks

The factory rubber coated 42RH gasket is the ticket no matter what pan you use.
Like mentioned, longer bolts are a good idea to keep from pulling the aluminum threads out of the case.
They are mandatory if you have a floor shift bracket mounted on the pan rail.

Someone here discovered their pan bolts were too long and bottoming in the pan rail. I don't remember who it was, but that's worth checking. I agree about the aluminum pans though. They are nice. That's likely what I would do.

Check to see if it's leaking around the shift shaft seal.

-
Back