99 RAM 1500 Sport. Opinions

-
I had one, bought it brand new and drove it 12 years. still had original battery and exhaust when I sold it. I did however put a rebuilt tranny in it at about 90,000 miles

I currently have one and it has 145k and it's in good shape. I would drive it across the country. 5.9 4x4 auto.

Here she is right before I sold it, 12 years old, original paint and some bad canadian winters.

Attachments

• IMG00127.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 320
Bought a 97 5.9 4x4 1500 new in sept of 96. Only reason i sold it is I bought a bigger truck for the bigger camper in 07. Sold it with 127k on it to a guy in Pittsburg. He ie repainting it after adding another 1ook to the clock. Says the truck is still too tight to even think about getting rid of.

Only real issue I had with it was the normal catalytic convertor clogged up, rear window leaked once and flodded the floor with puddles of rain water, typical antifreeze leak at the thermostat housing and then at the timing cover where it meets the block.

Never had a problem with the transmission, nor the trans in the wife's 02 5.9 Durango (currently at 70k). I think the key to them is to NOT leave it so it shifts into overdrive while driving around town. I always turned OD off when I started the truck andonly turned it on if I was going to be hitting 40-45 mph for exyended runs. And I never towed anything in overdrive.

Stated he had the trans inspected. Why? and what they found? Not mentioned. 4x4's had trans problems. Mostly due to larger tires installed which causes the speed sensor to make shifts at improper speeds and torque. I had a 2002 bought it new. I installed 315 tires when the originals wore out. That was the start of my problems. I would look for one that always had original size tires since new. Or at least has the speed sensor re-calibrated for those tires.

These trucks were notorious for trans problems Chrysler could never get the ratios correct for the overdrive with a lock-up converter on the 4x4's with the extra drag of the front rear. They never seem to know what gear they want to be in. The price is to high for that year. The offset wheels also destroy the front hubs so the originals are a plus on this truck .

Looks like a nice truck. just be weary on the info I stated. and take it for a long drive on hills. If the trans starts shifting erratic when its hot take money off or stay away.

I always liked black Rams. If it was near me I would be looking at it. They suck me in.

The biggest problem that they had with Mopar transmissions is that nobody seemed to have any idea what that overdrive lock out button was for. People would tow all sorts of things and never lock out the OD which it specifically states in the owners manual you should do. I managed a whole fleet of Dodge work trucks and vans and had minimal problems with the transmissions or anything else for that matter. Lots of our trucks went 300,000 to 400,000 miles with no problem. My ram1500 4x4 has 369,000 miles on it right now and I drive it every day. The other problem with the 97 and later transmissions is that they have some electric sensors built into the valve body that will occasionally go bad but they are usually a pretty cheap fix, like $25 to $100 bucks. Of course there is not a trans shop in the world who would tell you that when they can hit you for a couple or 3 grand to "rebuild" your trans. I scour the Craigslist ads every day looking for trucks and Durango's with "bad transmissions" because about 8 out of 10 times I can get them going and quadruple my money on them.

One of the biggest causes of transmission failure ( so I have heard)is the check valve inside the coolant line near the radiator.. I replaced that line with just a hose without the check ball..

The cheapest insurance to make sure a trans will last forever is a good temp gauge, a decent deep aftermarket pan ( I prefer a Mag Hytec double deep which has 4 extra quarts of fluid) A decent trans cooler(in addition to the factory piece) and always use the Mopar ATF fluid because the junk that comes from elsewhere just don't cut it.

X2 on removing the check ball and locking out overdrive in town. I have 125k on my SS/T and haven't had any issues with the transmission(knocks on wood) yet.

Attachments

• IMG_5426 (Custom) (2).JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 280
Have a 99 1500 with aftermarket rims and tires and it still has the original front hubs at 150k (give or take sone) only reason my trans gave out was cuz i drove up on a car (on purpose) and it stretched the tv cable out of adjustment and could never get it dialed in again

My 96 has 385,000 and change, the trans has never been out of it, but as stated I never tow in overdrive.

people who tell you they have weak transmissions will also tell you they never have changed the fluid; or if they did they used non chrysler brand fluid

Definitely inspect the tranny before purchase. I'd drain the fluid and pull the pan to take a closer look before purchase. Road test it as well.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Live in So-Cal / currently visiting Family in Leesburg VA

Definitely inspect the tranny before purchase. I'd drain the fluid and pull the pan to take a closer look before purchase. Road test it as well.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Live in So-Cal / currently visiting Family in Leesburg VA

and what seller is going to let you pull the pan in his driveway? I know I sure as heck wouldn't! if you take it to a shop then your going to end up paying for a flush and fill for something you don't even own!

Me and My dad had a 1998 ram 1500 sport and the tranny was good, had no problems, only problems was the suspension, ball joints,tie rod end, ect it also wandered bad on the road over 60 and we replaced the whole suspension+wheels tires,aligned ect. overall was a very good truck, I enjoyed it.

Quickie lubes responsible for most Chrysler transmission failures.
Got to use the proper trans fluid & you won't have problems.
Even some dealerships were guilty of using the Bulk trans oil in them.
Owned a 1995 & 1999 Sport, no problems other than keeping tires on the rear with tread.
The 1999 was far better power wise than my 95.
Powertrain was the same in both.

and what seller is going to let you pull the pan in his driveway? I know I sure as heck wouldn't! if you take it to a shop then your going to end up paying for a flush and fill for something you don't even own!

I've done it several times infact. I have them meet me at the shop and I perform the service I also eat the cost of the fluid for the flush if the tranny is in question. I as the cash buyer have to be fully satisfied before cash is handed over. I always make it known up front that I intend to fully inspect and road test. They usually won't argue once the cash is waved in their face.

My 99 Ram 1500 has 127, 000 miles..changed the trans fluid at 75k,,,,,,use ATF 4

Towed a trailer to ohio and back to Vegas ...coming back the truck was fully load with house hold stuff...trailer had another car on it plus a Freezer...Used the OD on the flat lands while towing.

I also had a 99 ram. Wish i never slod it. Sending unit and brake lines as well as gas lines went all with in a month, repaired it all but was expensive...thought id cut my losses!!!!!!! mistake i think. Its probly still goin . Never had a lick of problems other than these

Only real issue I had with it was the normal catalytic convertor clogged up, rear window leaked once and flodded the floor with puddles of rain water, typical antifreeze leak at the thermostat housing and then at the timing cover where it meets the block.

I always turned OD off when I started the truck and only turned it on if I was going to be hitting 40-45 mph for exyended runs. And I never towed anything in overdrive.

He did tell me he discovered a wet floor on the driver's side a couple times but couldn't find the leak.

I agree with the OD, I've never understood while it's automatically on.

Thanks

Oldmanmopar - I was a little curious about him getting the trans "inspected" as well. He claimed he took it in for a flush n fill and asked them took look it over. I suspect they they just did the fnf and told him it looks fine. Let me know when you put that GLH up for sale. That's next for me, after the Scamp and Road Runner.

It definitely has a little wander on the highway but I think that is more a function of the tire size and tread more than anything else. They are oversized and I am considering taking them back to original. The first time I talked to him he told me of a slight leak in the water pump and knew enough to refer to the viton seal.

Being well aware of how few people realize you have to turn off the OD most of the time. I asked him, slyly "how well it towed in OD?" He immediately stated that he never tows with any vehicle in OD and I let him "explain" why. He actually knew.

It shifts smoothly through a gradual acceleration and when I flogged it. No big hills nearby to test it on but there was a mild one (maybe 4%) that I slowed down for and accelerated up, it zipped right up without downshifting.

Got him down to $4900.00 and I certainly had the confidence to pull the trigger, so I did. Just gave him a little cash for a down, got a receipt and will pick it up next Thursday.

Thank you all for the input!!! It is greatly appreciated.

I was hoping to get some better pictures by now, but she's all covered in snow and and salt, but I did get this one the day I first looked at it.

IMG_0318_zpscdace556.jpg

-
Back