9and 1/4 versus 10 and 1/2

-

ahlberg

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm hoping you experts can help me out. I have a 1965 barracuda with a 273 engine 4bbl (Commando) I ordered a clutch for it about 8 months ago. My kids gave me an awesome present by rebuilding the engine without me knowing. Great kids and friends!! Anyway it turns out the old clutch is a 9 1/4 inch and the clutch I ordered was a 10 1/2 inch. The flywheel has 123 teeth ring and the disc 23 teeth.
I would need to know what I need to do to use the 10 1/2 clutch. Flywheel (external balanced), starter?, throw out bearing? fork? ..... etc. If it is to much of a problem, I may just buy a 9 1/4 inch clutch. Anyway I would sure appreciate your help with this problem. Thanks!!

You will need an internally balanced 10 1/2" flywheel and a bellhousing to match. The clutch linkage and the starter are just fine.

hi, mcleod has a 9 1/4 pressure plate and disc listed. part number is 360050, and 260104 disc. this is for the smaller 273 clutch housing,

I have a 66 signet that I converted to 4 speed,because automatic cars are . . . . . . well you know .I opted for the 10.95 inch clutch because I didn't want to use such a small clutch since I drive it like a rental car most of the time.You need to get a later flywheel,130 tooth.A later bellhousing with the same opening for the bearing retainer.Mine is 4.80,I have the overdrive trans and had to have the bearing retainer cut down and have the bellhousing opened up.Your trans should be 4.30.then you have to either modify your z-bar {torque shaft}or buy the one from Brewers like I did,it was bolt in and go.So basically you need a bellhousing,flywheel,clutch,and a z-bar.They make a nice 9 1/4 inch clutch,but from wht I remember,it was pricey.hope this helps :read2:

z-bar 004.jpg

Thanks guys for all the help. I was thinking I would need a externally balanced flywheel from what little info I found about it. But internal is correct? I'm thinking I'll go with the 9 1/4" clutch for now and get parts as I go for the 10 and 1/2. I'm anxious to get it running

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

You'd be better going to NAPA or Clutchmasters. I have been searching for
9 1/2" clutches for quite some time now and no-one makes a performance clutch in the 9 1/4-9 1/2" size. I contacted McLeod and they quit making them
a few years ago when the company got bought by B&M. The info on their website is old and hasn't been corrected or updated. You need a flywheel and bell housing and some linkage like yellow68runner described. There is quite a few
threads about this subject here on FABO. What a nice surprise getting your mill overhauled. Toolman

hi, B&M doesn't own mcleod. red took it back. give them a call, 714-630-2764. don't rely on others. I find a call makes all the difference. you will get the latest information straight from the horses mouth , not from the other end. just food for thought!

-
Back