A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
Alex, Your car is turning out fantastic. Some top show cars aren't as straight as this or taken the time for the details. Excellent job!

Thanks Brock, I am doing the best I can.

I had to go back and re do the fitment of the welded in 1/4 panel. I just wasn't happy with the way it was looking and the fit. Now....I finally have the transition from Goodmark 1/4 panel to the passenger door to my liking. It took a lot of work, but I like it now. This goes back to post #56 & #57 where DusterDaddy responded: "I had a bunch of guys tell me not to take out that door seam or remove the above the body line", he was absolutely 100% correct. If I was changing a 1/4 panel again I would definitely preserve the door gap and cut an 1" behind it, this will save a lot of trouble when you go to blending back in the panel and door!!! Anyways, I am moving on. I'll spray epoxy over this before shooting the whole car in 2K Primer. Sprayed the trunk lid outside in 2K yesterday (4 coats) and blocked it. Ready for sealer now.

37282046625_3f49fdfbaa_b.jpg
IMG_4577 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

37109278062_031b2dde7a_b.jpg
IMG_4580 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sprayed reduced white epoxy as the sealer, it sprayed out very nice! I think the Sassy Green will pop off the white epoxy sealer.

36477135094_5148c301c7_b.jpg
IMG_4582 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
I love everything about this car. The color, the wheels and tires, the motor, and your attention to detail!

Thank you so much TF360, quite the complement and I sincerely thank you. I'm just trying to do things as correctly as I can.

Last edited:
Sorry about the boring primer pics, just documenting as the car gets another coat of Kirker's Perfect Prime. One coat on one side takes about 20 oz of sprayable primer. More blocking next, getting straighter and straighter.

37334533565_2fdbb43f0f_b.jpg
IMG_4585 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

36521454553_dda2e111e2_b.jpg
IMG_4586 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

37334532435_258e9b8d08_b.jpg
IMG_4587 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

36521451533_bf2567a84d_b.jpg
IMG_4588 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

^ LOL!!! Thank you.....I need to spray sealer before I can spray color...I am getting there. I am also going to remove the doors for spraying the car in color. Gotta order a gallon of Sassy Grass Green.

Last edited:
All your updates a very well documented, very nice work, I haven't been on here in a while but it is always nice to come back and see the updates, keep up the great work. Over the last few weeks here I have be putting a lot of miles on mine. Soon the season will be over and I will be ready to start my updates myself. Mine a small compared to yours. Over the last few months I have been doing a lot of front end parts ordering, now need to replace all new parts, also replace carpet and sound dampening stuff. Well keep in touch when you have time.

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG1082.jpg

IMAG1086.jpg

Thanks for stopping in Richard. Sounds like you have some winter fix-it projects planned. I'll keep on plugging over here.

The first coat of epoxy sealer was dry enough to wet sand with 400. Knocked it down smooth and shot one last coat, it is like glass now! Green next!!! I am using Summit's DTM White epoxy as the sealer, and man does it lay down flat. Gun is Iwata AZ3 with 1.8 tip. No reducing needed, it shot much better just mixed in its 1:1 formula and no reducing.

36536499303_7faf350700_b.jpg
IMG_4592 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

36536496973_0b1235ac6f_b.jpg
IMG_4593 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ordering AAR rear fiberglass bumper so I can deal with fitment as Jamakin pointed out, now is the time. I refuse to put those god awful heavy boat anchor bumpers back on. I will have to fab up some mounts, no biggie. The OEM shock absorber rear bumper mounts were completely removed.

AAR bumpers to be painted in Sassy Green......or Black...what do you think is better???

Bumper, Duster, 1970-1976, rear | AAR Quality Fiberglass Reproductions

Bumper, Duster, 1973-1976, front | AAR Quality Fiberglass Reproductions
Just figured I'd give you a 3rd option on the bumpers. If you want fiberglass bumpers and chrome bumpers you can get chrome vinyl and wrap the bumpers. Looks pretty realistic.

Thanks for the option alert but.....No Chrome on this car. I don't really care for chrome.... for this car. Window trim will be blacked out. Bumpers will be painted green or black...haven't decided yet.

Is the Iwata an HVLP gun, or full pressure? I grew up on full pressure guns, and have struggled with the HVLP gun that I bought a few years ago. I painted a golf cart body a while back, and it turned out ok. Everyone that doesn't know what they're looking at says it looks great, but it's just so-so for me. I keep telling myself that it's just a golf cart that sits out in the weather at the beach....lol.

Thanks for the option alert but.....No Chrome on this car. I don't really care for chrome.... for this car. Window trim will be blacked out. Bumpers will be painted green or black...haven't decided yet.
And just how are the NASA guys going to go about blacking out all that stainless?

The Nasa shop here in Broomfield, CO will either powder coat the stainless trim, or spray it in DTM (direct to metal) black epoxy. Yes Sir!

Epoxy primer likes the sun for curing...so... a little sun baking! I ordered 1 1/2 gallons of PPG Deltron Sassy Grass Green & activator this morning!!!

37230638711_a256b4b448_b.jpg
IMG_4599 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Alex. I've watched some of his videos, and he offers a lot of good tips. Once I get past fabrication on my Duster, I'm going to buy a really good spray gun for base/clear. I've got a good primer gun, and also have a nice Sata gravity feed gun. My Sata is a full pressure gun, so there's some wasted material with it. The dang stuff costs too much nowadays to waste! lol Thanks again.

JD, I decided to buy a "good" or really nice gun to shoot the paint....for the same reasons: Paint is expensive and it is such a time consuming project painting a car that I wanted the best results possible. So a good or a really nice base/clear coat gun was purchased as well. I got a Devilbiss Tekna Pro Lite. Got it from Summit. Lots of great reviews about this gun.

Last edited:
-
Back