A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
So you decided not to use the chisels or sawzall?? That's too bad! Woulda had a unique hood! :poke: lol! It was great meeting all you guys today! Looking forward to more progress on you car!

^ Yeah no chisels or sawzalls used. The 4" hole saw bit did the trick very well! Thanks again for coming by, always nice to meet more FABO members!

I will continue working on the underside of the hood, gonna weld up a lot of the unnecessary holes, kinda clean it up a bit.

So my car has always been a bench seat car and I never really liked the bench seat, this goes back to my original 74' Duster...just didn't like the bench seat. So I sold the bench seat a few weeks back and have had my eye out for the right bucket seats that won't break the bank but will look right and do the job. Big Thanks to RichardJ916. His post here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=335577
I think they look great, he says they are comfortable...So I just ordered them! Can't wait to see these in my car!

cpa3001pbk by Alexl5280, on Flickr

cpa3001_dimensions_2 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

bvt69dart, hollywood higgs, and 75slant6 (out this way from Kentucky) all stopped over this morning. Very nice to have 3 FABO guys here! We all chatted up some Mope talk and had a very nice time. Later on i cut the 4" holes in my hood for the scoop prep. Started cleaning up the underside too getting ready to shoot some primer to the underside.

IMG_2899 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

i need to stop by occasionally, to prevent you from sanding on the hood with the gears under it..........lol. don't you think the case has enough dust in it yet?

carbon fiber hood could look pretty "bitchin' imo.

ok, ruffled enough feathers around here, i'm out.
higgs

^ Yeah no chisels or sawzalls used. The 4" hole saw bit did the trick very well! Thanks again for coming by, always nice to meet more FABO members!

I will continue working on the underside of the hood, gonna weld up a lot of the unnecessary holes, kinda clean it up a bit.

So my car has always been a bench seat car and I never really liked the bench seat, this goes back to my original 74' Duster...just didn't like the bench seat. So I sold the bench seat a few weeks back and have had my eye out for the right bucket seats that won't break the bank but will look right and do the job. Big Thanks to RichardJ916. His post here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=335577
I think they look great, he says they are comfortable...So I just ordered them! Can't wait to see these in my car!

cpa3001pbk by Alexl5280, on Flickr

cpa3001_dimensions_2 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

money bags...............which reminds me...........don't you owe me.........nevermind.
higgs

Brewer's A-833 rebuild kit arrives tomorrow, I'll start the 4-speed rebuild tomorrow evening after work. Working on the underside of the hood. Welded up all the holes not needed, sealed up the panels. Paint to follow.

IMG_2911 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Welded up and primed the last of the holes not needed. Gonna do a final sanding smoothing and I'll shoot the underside in epoxy primer. I have been using Kirker epoxy primer.

IMG_2929 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Rebuilding main gears & install in tailhousing was a snap. Countershaft 76 needle bearing install was a nightmare...got counter shaft stuck...will explain more as I find the fix.

IMG_2933 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

counter shaft first, broom handle and lots of wheel bearing grease to keep the needle bearings in place. How did you get it stuck?

We all want to know how you got the counter shaft stuck in the first place?:blob:

So....what I did was forget to use or install the 5 5/8" needle bearing spacer. I assumed that there was a ledge or a stop inside the counter gear. I installed the dummy arbor and packed in the 19 bearings, washer, then another 19 bearings and the last washer on both sides. So when pushing the countershaft through there was no stop for the needle bearings. They all moved out of sync as I tried to push the dummy arbor out with the countershaft. Major binding and a big screw up.

IMG_2936 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

The 5 5/8" needle bearing spacer should go over the dummy arbor...then put inside the counter gear.

IMG_2937 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Like this, then you put it all the way inside the counter gear and can pack in the double sets of 19 bearings and two washers on either side. Then the countershaft should slide right through. The 5 5/8 spacer holds the 76 bearings in place, without it...disaster! I did have to order a new countershaft and another set of 76 needle bearings. No biggie, live and learn.

IMG_2938 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

I should have the A-833 complete as soon as the new countershaft and 76 needle bearings arrive. But that is only a complete A-833, it won't shift by itself. This should do the trick:

s-l1600-1 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

For the last month or so I have been on the phone and emailing with Mike at MRL Performance. We have come up with a plan to do a kinda sorta "remote build". I'll be purchasing all the needed parts from Mike at MRL, under his direction.....I'll send the $ and he'll send the correct parts. So, we have an MRL 408 being planned out. Just got a tracking number from Mike, looks like a balanced .030 over Forged rotating assembly is on the way!

In my conversation with Mike at MRL Performance, he is suggesting Subframe Connectors and Torque Boxes as well as the Front Core Support.....I will start looking into that as well. This means under the car and more welding, oh well....git er' done.

I only have subframe connectors in my Duster, and that made a big difference. With just those, the front end come up perfectly even on a good launch. I made them out of 2" X 4" (I think, might have been X 3") rectangular tubing.

Cool...I'll get the Sub Frame Connectors and other supports ordered.

Got the countergear, countershaft and all the 76 needle bearings installed correctly. This time it was a snap when using all the correct parts, i.e.. the freekin' 5 5/8" needle bearing spacer!!!

IMG_2949 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

I have a 6" straight handle shifter for the Hurst body if you need it.
Pay shipping and it is yours.

^ Thanks, appreciate the offer.... but a B body non console pistol grip shifter will be residing
in the Hurst mechanism.

-
Back