A Body 8.75 housing/axles dont match

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so i bought separately "a body" axles and "a body" housing. well the axles are to long!! grr... so now i need to figure out which i right.

so the housing is 51 3/4 from housing end to housing end and the perches were 43" or 44" on center. < sorry long day

the axles are 29" from the outside of the wheel hub to the end of the splines, or 27" to that plate that bolts to the housing.

so pics or ideas on whats what? possibly later a body axles (after 73)

That could be the problem... *i know i'm not much help* but just off the top of my head, possibly the seller of the axles didn't know which axle they came out of?

do you have a differential yet? maybe the axles sit out a bit after they hook up to the differential? sorry i don't have any dimensions handy, just on a dinner break! gotta go back to work soon..

do you have a differential yet? maybe the axles sit out a bit after they hook up to the differential? sorry i don't have any dimensions handy, just on a dinner break! gotta go back to work soon..

yea i can put one axle in and past center by about an inch. and i am using a original power-lok

The only way those axles came out of a Duster with an A body 8 3/4 is if they are aftermarket units. No A body 8 3/4 ever had large bolt axles. Now, if they are aftermarket axles, do they have the "Green" style bearing on them???. If they do and you are trying to assemble your rear end with a center section, you need to remove the thrust button in the center section. The thrust button is used to set the backlash on the OE tapered axle bearings but is not needed with the Green bearing setup. I just measured a standard small bolt axle from an A body rearend and it measures 25 7/8" from the back of the flange to the tip of the splines.

Also, your measurment of the perch location and flange length is critical in identifying the exact housing you have, so shoot us an exact measurment of the perches. A body rear end flange to flange is 51 5/8" and the perch center is 43". Good luck with your project, Geof

The only way those axles came out of a Duster with an A body 8 3/4 is if they are aftermarket units. No A body 8 3/4 ever had large bolt axles. Now, if they are aftermarket axles, do they have the "Green" style bearing on them???. If they do and you are trying to assemble your rear end with a center section, you need to remove the thrust button in the center section. The thrust button is used to set the backlash on the OE tapered axle bearings but is not needed with the Green bearing setup. I just measured a standard small bolt axle from an A body rearend and it measures 25 7/8" from the back of the flange to the tip of the splines.

Also, your measurment of the perch location and flange length is critical in identifying the exact housing you have, so shoot us an exact measurment of the perches. A body rear end flange to flange is 51 5/8" and the perch center is 43". Good luck with your project, Geof

ok i will get some exact measuments tomarrow, i just got done blasting the housing for paint. there were no weld makes or seams where width was altered...
and did even try to assemble. the two axles won't even fit together in the housing they both stick out.

I just measured a standard small bolt axle from an A body rearend and it measures 25 7/8" from the back of the flange to the tip of the splines.

25 7/8 from the back of the wheel flange or the flange that bolts to the housing?

A BODY
'66-'72= 27 11/16

again is that from the wheel flange or the flange that blots to the housing

so the housing is 51 3/4 from housing end to housing end and the perches were 43" or 44" on center. < sorry long day

Sounds like the housing is a little over 3/4" too narrow. Should be 52-5/8" end to end.

Somebody may have cut it down using that stupid chart that's on mymopar.com and now it's too short.

Sounds like the housing is a little over 3/4" too narrow. Should be 52-5/8" end to end.

Somebody may have cut it down using that stupid chart that's on mymopar.com and now it's too short.

well i'll take pics tomarrow. but like i said i just sand blasted it and there are no welds or grinding areas

Them would be 68-70 B-body axles. Sounds like the seller either didn't know what he had or ripped you. I'd be contacting him.

i did. he said they were out of a duster... but in his defense he also said he would see if he had another set he can trade me...

There has to be welded area's as that's how the housing ends attach, even from the factory. Measure it again and see if you get the same measurement.

im sorry, yes there were the factory stick welds around the housing ends

My Moser axels are 28 inches.

thats what mancinni sells to... so if my math is right on a factory housing of 52 5/8" or 52.625 - 1.5" (for the center space) = 51.125 or 51 1/8 then divide by 2 for both axles and u get 25.5". now this number would be from the housing flange on the axle. so a total axle length would be 27 11/16 as previously stated.
so wouldn't 28" axles be to long?

-
Back