A Body 833 or A Body 833OD?

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've got a B&T 833 mated to a slant that I know for a fact that the trans is in good running condition (I was driving the car before I parted it out). I've also got an A/F Body 833OD with a slant bellhousing still attached that I bought used. The seller ( a friend of mine) had no idea of the condition of the trans. I will be leaving my 65 Dart wagon slant-equipped (with extra goodies of course) and converting to a 4 speed. Which 4 speed to use - the 65 B&T 833 or the OD 833? If it matters I will be using an 8.75 with 3.23 gears.

I have a good Ball and trunion driveshaft that may work if you decide to go that way.
I dont think you will like the od with the gears you plan to run.

I think you'll be at 2000 rpm at 65mph with the 3.23 & OD based on my 65 Dart which has a 2.94 & has 2000 rpm at 70mph. It's noticeably quieter with the lower revs than a non OD.

If you put HEI in & dial up higher initial timing, electric fan, tall radials, enlarge the exhaust to 2 1/4, & set the tappets a bit loose you can run between 25 & 31 mpg depending on your travel conditions.

Thanks for the replies. I'm about 80% set on using the 65 B&T 833 as I know it was a good transmission as I regularly drove the car in which it was in. The B&T is an easy workaround to convert it to a later set-up. The OD833 might be good and then again might need a complete rebuild. Gas mileage is not a big concern since the wagon will not be a daily driver plus with triple carbs (either SU's or Webers), who's looking at gas mileage.

Attachments

• intakes 008.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 196
  • intakes 009.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 206
Seeing those brings back memories of a couple of cars in my past 240Z with the webers oh the sound of them sucking air and the su's on a Austin Healy the good old days.

I had the 833 OD behind a slant running 294 gears and it didn't like it at all.I now have it behind a 318 same gears and it works great.

sounds like a kool project,,, pretty strange both trannys you are considering have the 3.09 first gear,, i had a 65 B&T trans i converted to a slip yoke tail shaft,,easy to do,, u just have to make sure the donor trans for the tail shaft has the same size rear main bearing,, u have to switch the main shaft in the tail shaft as well as the housing,,

there is also a place that has a conversion U joint that is stronger the the ball and trunion and bolts right up to the trans 4 bolt flange if you dont convert to a slip yoke,,the trunion parts are hard to find new

OD has some big gaps between the gears. The slanty might be happier with the non OD unless you plan on dropping the rear ratio. Being its not a daily driver and gas mileage is not a big concern I'd go with the non OD

sounds like a kool project,,, pretty strange both trannys you are considering have the 3.09 first gear,

Gotta use what I have. That said, I'm not too familiar with A Body 4 speeds as found behind a V8. Would they have a different numerical first gear ratio?

as far as i know,, all the ball and trunion trannys have the 3.09 1st gear,, at least the one i converted to a slpi yoke did

and all the O,D trannys have the 3.09 1st gear,,

then up till the end of 1969 the 1st gear was 2.66 and after 1970 was 2.45

the 3.09 will get you off the line quicker and make the motor rev faster,,it worked great with my 33 inch tall tires,,,

its a perfect blend on a car with OD,

-
Back