A Body pet peeves

-
I have a 67 Dart and I really hate it when some dope drives by while I'm washing it and says, " Nice Malibu". I once had a guy stop by when I was washing the car and ask me how much I wanted for my Malibu. I told him I wanted $50,000 for it. He asked me why so much? I replied that it was a one year only Dart Malibu and they were only sold in Southern Kalifornia by the beach. Another pet peeve of mine is everyone that is selling a NOS piece thinking it's worth it's weight in gold, it's not like I'm restoring a Hemi car, it's an A-body for gosh sakes! My last pet peeve is everyone selling A-body 8 3/4 rearends for $400 - $1000. Come on, if I really wanted to spend that much money I'd just have a B-body 8 3/4 rearend shortened and that way I'd get the big bolt pattern which would open up so many more options for wheels.

Dan in Silicon Valley

those stupid crying dolls at car shows

how else would people notice fords if they didnt have one ( or a couple ) of those dolls hangin off it?

but for me,

donks on a abod and flowmasters are right up there.

not for abodies but walking around a car show and every car has flows and bfg radial t/a's. how bout some variety?

I guess mine fits a couple of your folks pet peeves

360 in a slant 6 car
Hemi hood without the Hemi
and an Air Gap Intake

and I agree with some of the stuff that's been posted, but if
we all liked or disliked the same things it would be kinda boring.

I likem' all why, because I'm a car guy. I would be proud to
drive any A body on this Forum.

and I'll be the first to say that I likes my 'Cuda:-D

If you do, ask 68dodge for pics of his. He did a nice job on it.
Thanks Robert!

Very Nice car Tony, The hood scoop looks great! I have a 440 with a hemi hood scoop. Car was had a 318 in it.

Attachments

• pittsraceway3.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 68.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 233
Ummm! where should I start ? I've got almost everything listed. Maybe not all on one car but non the less. I've got original to nothing stock. Take the yellow dart on my avatar for example, there isn't anything original on it except the sun roof! It was a factory 318-3 speed car, red with a white stripe. I have a 75 duster custom with the factory s/6, auto, and brown paint. and a long list of other mopars. I guess my pet peeve is the lack of parts selection, and the fact that most of the venders out there think chevy is the only car ever made. When you look at a company to see what they have available and the only things they have are for GM cars, It really gets under my skin. On a positive note though, I like A-body dodges partly because you don't see them on every street corner and because I like being differant. Plus they're just freekin awsome !!!!!!

i get tired of hearing "need to pull the 318 ,put a 360 in and hot rod it." iam not cutting up a one owner ,unmodified car.#2 does it have a hemi ?.

Biggest gripe is people telling me that my mods aren't "correct". Who cares. It my car. I did a "super six" upgrade to the slant. I put in a Rocky Mountain Dashes insert with Autometer Phantom gauges. Looks great, fits great, works great. They will really gripe when I put in a set of Procar buckets this year. And, drop kick those crying dolls right through the uprights!!

I hate the card board glove box...I don't even put in my registration and insurance in there because I know as soon as I do some cop with a hangover is going to pull me over because my exhaust exacerbated his migraine and i'm not going to be able to get it because its in limbo between the glove box and the dash.

The price of parts and the people who think they're slant-6-rolling-body-half-***'d-body-worked-stripped-barracuda is worth 8k because they over paid a white trash worthless body man 4x what they should have(there are currently 2 on craigslist in my area atm and you all know how few get posted)

That most Mopar owners seem to have exclusive cliques.... seem to bash the E-body mentality but retain some of it themselves.

F'n Mopar Rallye wheels on pre 1970 cars. They are ugly and don't belong on these good looking cars. Let the comments begin.

Pet peeves?
Lets just say I like to see cars restored bone stock, or if cloned, at least cloned into something that looks factory correct for the model year.
I don't like seeing clean unrestored survivors altered, modified or even restored as they are only original once.
I don't like seeing clones being passed off as originals.

So, really there are people who have 'pet peeves' about things that Chrysler did and they wish were done better/different and there are people who see cars that are finished with items that are 'not their style'. There are always things that could've been done better, but hey, it could've been worse too. I see cars at cruise -ins and think to myself (not aloud) I would've done it this way or used this part, but that is my opinion or style. My buddy always gets on me about putting wheels on my Dart Sport, but I like the rallyes. It's no big deal.
Now on a separate note, I hate when guys come up and say "my buddy had one just like yours, EXCEPT........." go figure.

I had a guy tell me "I had one just like this EXCEPT it was a 68 NOVA !!!!" .Not only is the guy ignorant about cars, but he must not be able to read either because it says DART SPORT right on the side of it. Yeah I was Peeved

So, really there are people who have 'pet peeves' about things that Chrysler did and they wish were done better/different and there are people who see cars that are finished with items that are 'not their style'.

best post in the thread............... well said

Lets see... Things I hate about my Dart.

1. The typical A-body *** drag.
  2. The lack of aftermarket body parts (grills and bumpers)
  3. 9X3 and 9X2 drums with SBP on a car this size?
  4. It came with a pea shooter for a carb
  5. The cast Iron cylinder head was designed for an engine displacing 55 CI less than it supports
  6. No dual exhaust
  7. No 4 speed? What the hell?
  8. 6'4 guys like me don't fit the best, mostly on road trips
  9. 75 mph puts me at 2750 rpm, way too high
  10. Speaking of which, where's the tach? Automotive calculaters aren't realtime
  11. No sway bars
  12. It's got the crapiest rear-end to ever come out of detroit
All things I intend to change...

i dont like seeing 68-69 dart power bulge hoods with other scoops put on there and torsion bar suspensions lowered all the way down to give it a jacked up look

Not really any pet peeves..but really don't like the a-bodies after '71 they all have those "generic" sidemarkers, '73's and up have that little pointy hood on them dusters have those ugly grilles,ugly bumpers and big ugly taillights..stock cars are ok if you like them,not me i modify everything i own gives them more of a personal touch,besides stock is stock=boring..

I haven't personally seen anything I just couldn't stand but swapping in a non-Mopar engine would be unforgivable. Not a fan of trendy wheel styles either.

I swear - this place is getting almost intollerable - a bunch of old ladies posting.

For crying out loud, it's a simple innocent topic of discussion - people need to stop crying in every damn thread because someone else hurt their feelings. And don't come back and say "I wasn't offended..." Yes you were, and I guess that's why you felt the need to submit a post crying about how it's your car and your taste, and we should all love eachother in the hobby, bla bla bla.

My pet peeves:
-black engine compartments
-flat black body color (not graphics and hoods, but the entire car)
-340 or other performance Mopars with stock skinny tires in the rear
-t-handle shifters
-plumb crazy on pre-70 cars
-homemade custom center consoles or silly emblems or stickers
-cowl induction hoods on Mopars
-custom pinstriping or graphics

It's not always A body specific, but I can't stand dirty or unfinished interiors.

I'd rather drive an ugly rust bucket with a nice interior, than a car with no door panels, stained carpeting and a ripped front seat. I just don't like feeling like I need a shower after a 10 minute trip down the road.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket floor shifters or pistol grip shifters either. I think both are really ugly.

Vinyl tops as well.

Just in general for mopars:
Big flashy wheels with rubber bands for tires
Entirely Chrome engine bays
People telling me to get a Chevy/Ford
Lack of restoration parts for all the specific cars I work on ('70 Super Bee, '73 Duster, '77 Warlock)
People who think they know everything and constantly tell you what you're doing is wrong because that's not what they would do if it were there car so they refuse to help you and make fun of you if something goes wrong. It's a learning experience for everyone and if you know so much, open a friggin shop and top talking smack on the guys that have shops. Get that stuff way too much here in So Cal.
People telling my dad and I we're crazy for having a vynil top on the Super Bee, It's original and looks good so it stays.
Don't care for full vynil tops on Dusters though.
People who nit-pick over what's factory and what's not, what's period correct/not on cars that obviously weren't built at a concourse restoration.
And finally the entire Slant S*%T engine family. Bulletproof my @$&! Perform perfect maintenance according to owners and service manuals and blew up two of them in two years. Never revved them over 5000, never got the car above 70 and the crank shattered in one, the block cracked in the other. I hate that engine...

I hate it when people ride in my car and complain about not having the comfort features of the modern cars. Me personally, I think its just part of the fun fighting manual brakes and steering, not having much climate controll, and having to speak up because of the exhaust.

I got really pissed at a guy that was driving a toyota and stopped at a gas station for the sole purpose of telling me to "get that muscle car trash off the road!!!" Im usually a calm person but I was in a bad mood and that just set me off!

I don't like:
Donk wheels or anything over 16" on an a body or any other mopar for that matter
Chromed to the max everything in the engine compartment
Flat black paint (rat rod) if you are not a rat rod type of guy
'73 Duster full wheel covers
Skinny tires on the back esp. with a sacked out rear end
Big speakers and stereos with the wires hanging everywhere
Aftermarket guage clusters
"crying kids" and other similar car show cutesie do-dads
overspray
$20,000 paint jobs and an undetailed engine compartment
So many more.....
But the worst is
Straw hatters at car shows who never lift a wrench themselves and get someone to work on their cars, and then have the nerve to critisize yours.

Hey danmc77, read my mind and tell me what I'm thinking now.
If you want to get all worked up over this thread, go for it. But don't put it on me.
If you want to offend me, tell me how much you hate Fender Stratocasters. Do it, I double-dog-dare you. No, wait. That probably won't do it either...

-
Back