A body Steering Boxes

-
Lotta good information coming from this thread.

IMG_5894.gif

Thanks @72bluNblu I plan on swapping to a manual box and was looking at all of my options. My Dart had a FF 20:1 box on it and I was very happy with it.

Thanks @72bluNblu I plan on swapping to a manual box and was looking at all of my options. My Dart had a FF 20:1 box on it and I was very happy with it.

I think the 20:1 box is a great option, I think PST is still selling them. I love my 16:1 manual box but I do understand that not everyone would, it does get pretty heavy at parking lot speeds. At the same time I think a 24:1 factory box would just be a lot of turning the wheel to make things happen, ~5.5 turns lock to lock is a lot. The 20:1 box is a nice in between.

Yeah, I like the 16:1 box out on the highway, but, it's a real workout to parallel park.

There again, I'm talking about power boxes, not manual boxes! For 16:1 manual boxes, 72bluNblu is correct....A-body only from '66-9. They were all bearing type boxes too. Chrysler came out with a 20:1 gear set later on as an optional replacement for 16:1 or 24:1 ratios.
Chrysler had the standard manual steering boxes and also offered a close ratio one. I have that in my 69', in the photo. not sure of anything else except the pitman arm is different from 68' and up, from a 67'. 67' is on its own with that. As stated, steering columns are different from power steering (short shaft) and manual steering (long shaft).

Chrysler had the standard manual steering boxes and also offered a close ratio one. I have that in my 69', in the photo. not sure of anything else except the pitman arm is different from 68' and up, from a 67'. 67' is on its own with that. As stated, steering columns are different from power steering (short shaft) and manual steering (long shaft).
The '67 Idler arm is unique, but, the pitman is the same as all '67-72 A-bodies except for the factory big block cars.

All of this talk about steering box ratios. What is the ratio of the stock Mopar power steering box?

All of this talk about steering box ratios. What is the ratio of the stock Mopar power steering box?

16:1

I think the exact ratio is 15.9:1 like @cudamark stated earlier. The manual boxes have a decimal on the actual ratio too, they're all rounded up slightly to 16:1, 20:1 , 24:1.

Thanks yall. That's what I thought.

Thanks yall. That's what I thought.

Sure! And that applies to all of the power boxes as far as I know. The TA cars had fast ratio power steering at around 12:1, but that was done with extended steering arms. So the power steering box itself was still 16:1.

-
Back