A/C on the hot rod cruiser

-
A/C is a must here. it has been over 100 degrees for over 2 weeks now. and its not even hot yet.........ill be installing the complete A/C sustem out of my parts truck (04 dodge ram) after i get the car up and running on the hemi for the same truck. the car i picked up for the swap is an orriginal A/C car, but it is only complete under the dash all the engine bay stuff is missing, so ill adapt the a/c compressor, condenser and all that good stuff to work. should make for a nice setup. (espically for a racecar)

A/C is a must here. it has been over 100 degrees for over 2 weeks now. and its not even hot yet.........ill be installing the complete A/C sustem out of my parts truck (04 dodge ram) after i get the car up and running on the hemi for the same truck. the car i picked up for the swap is an orriginal A/C car, but it is only complete under the dash all the engine bay stuff is missing, so ill adapt the a/c compressor, condenser and all that good stuff to work. should make for a nice setup. (espically for a racecar)

Sounds interesting, you`ll have to post some pics of that when you get ready to install it.

Sounds interesting, you`ll have to post some pics of that when you get ready to install it.
I will have pic of it, as I will be doing a semi restoration on the car. I will post the pics here once i am getting to the point of running the A/C but we are just getting started on building the cage/subframe connectors. and then we will be installing the motor, and once its up and running and moving under its own power we will look at a/c.

jaws, how well did the lines for the condenser line up with the factory holes? Can you take a picture of the hardlines, or are they identical to the website photos I posted a couple of replys up?

The pics you posted are just like mine. I had to take a round file to one of my blower motor holes about a 1/32nd of an inch. Every thing else went in just like the instructiouns. The condenser lines go through a factory hole in the support. I can post some better pics on Saturday or Sunday. Did you want pics of anything special?

Nice, did you modify a fan shroud to work with that radiator? It doesn`t look like an original.

That makes me wonder, do factory A/C cars have a different radiator core support from the cars without A/C?

The radiator, fan and shroud are out of a 77 Volare 318 with air. The radiator set right in the original mounts from the Barracuda. My car was a /6 auto with nothing else.

Vintage air is a good system if you get one that works. I installed a few when I worked in a street rod shop and wasn't too impressed. My dad got one for his 50 Dodge custom and has had nothing but problems with it altho the people at vintage air are pretty good about the warranty on parts/system if it leaks or just wont work.

Ok, too ksome pics of the hoses and the inside of the car. Upon a second look my low presure hose in front is a rubber line with hard ends. Still tucks in nice. Controls are factory non air controls that were modified per instrutions.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Here's a link to my Hot Rod Air setup.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=85073

They are out of business as far as I know, but the engine mount brackets are the same ones that vintage air uses. I just got a street rod kit (universal) and the brackets for a 360. I used a bulkhead connector and the condensor was just a universal mount that I was able to use existing holes through the sheet metal around the radiator. Classic might be a faster install, but I kind of like the look of a compact control panel of the vintage systems. You can see from my following pictures how hot rod air's panel installed. I also like how vintage has electric motors instead of cables. If you get a universal kit you can count on it taking a long weekend. I spaced mine out over a couple weeks. My evap was the biggest they make, I have 4 dash vents and had to disconnect the wiper crossbar in order to use my defrost vents. You also have to crimp the hoses after you get them all cut to length (my local NAPA did it for $45).

interior1.jpg

int2.jpg

"Longgone" Wow beautiful Cuda - don't sell it A/C it !

"juvat" hate to hear Hot Rod Air is gone, their web site is still up & running. Thanks for the install link

"Jaws" thanks for the photos

Like "BWDart" says, Bouchillon Performance makes & sells all manner of pulleys & AC parts. I like the low mount (under the alt) Sanden compressor mount # BPE4715. It requires mech fuel pump removal & swt to elect FP. I think you can use the rest of your non AC pulleys & just buy a longer belt.

Most of the aftermarket AC companies now have electronic controled evap units, no more vac lines or mech pull cables to fret over and then mount the ctls in your console, under the dash, where ever you want -- visible or hidden.

Be cool in your cool ride & enjoy the summer season.

For my 67 B-body Classic's "Perfect Fit" system would use my std heater box ctls (some functions work backwards) But I would have to cut two more holes thru the firewall for the heater lines, AC uses the OEM heater holes (for my car). I will opt for a universal fit evap from them, Vintage Air or Hot Rod Air with electronic ctls. Hope to use the low mount comp mount & run my lines thru the top of passenger fenderwell & into the dash area. That's the plan anyway.

Be sure & post back with pics, how you guys do your projects !

John

I'm in the process of building a custom A/C setup for my Barracuda. At the time I started, I didn't know ClassicAir had a surefit system. I am creating my own custom setup using a Vintage Air servo controlled airbox, a "spare" dash I had (radio area was already cut up), and an assortment of original and aftermarket parts.

The idea is to keep the car looking mostly original under the hood (yes that is a fake blower motor-just the shell, original vents under the dash, as well as the Vintage air controls mounted in the dash. I will use the Classic Air parts for under the hood and have some custom hard lines bent where they run over the fenderwell. Here is my progress so far.

Rob, great photos!

Any photos of how you ran your A/C lines from the engine bay into fenderwell area & into the dash to the evap unit ? Where did you source the heater line pass thrus ?

Thanks !

Thanks, Jaws.

Now, I noticed the classic air kit does not include pulley's or belts. Is it just one extra stock crank pulley?

My set up came with a lower pully and a new belt for it. It was a bolt on deal that had longer bolts to go through the old pully and mount the new one in front. I just went to the wrecking yard and got a lower A/C pully and it worked great.

Not me. I run with the windows down and listen to the motor. Ive been on four power tours and no air for me. It was 99 here yesterday.

I just purchased the Classic Air Kit for my 340 Dart. I'm having a problem hooking up the Idler Pulley Brace and the Compressor Brace. The instruction sheet that was provided is not the best to tell where these braces bolt into the engine. Can on of you who have installed this system provide me with some pictures of how yours bolted up. Everything else seems to be installing smoothly.

I just purchased the Classic Air Kit for my 340 Dart. I'm having a problem hooking up the Idler Pulley Brace and the Compressor Brace. The instruction sheet that was provided is not the best to tell where these braces bolt into the engine. Can on of you who have installed this system provide me with some pictures of how yours bolted up. Everything else seems to be installing smoothly.

Anyone?

This is a Classic Auto A/C Perfect Fit install. I had to tint the windows to make it cool enough in the direct sun. I used the do it yourself stuff. The stock glass was like being under a magnifying glass.

DSC03829.jpg

Mine bolts to the top water pump bolts, and a brace runs back to the intake. I can take some pics when I get home tonite.

You use the two front lower holes in the A/C compressor and bolt them to the water pump bracket. The intake manifold brackets go to the back, upper driver's side and the back lower passenger's side of the A/C compressor.

hey guys i agree you got to have ac my 69 cuda was factory ac i have collected every part except the idler pulley and the brace for the compressor any body got it pm me thanks

I'm thinking the problem is with my Intake. I have a Weiand 7507. From the pics you guys have provided I don't have the same mounting points. I have contacted Classic Air to find out if I'm gonna need a new Intake or if there is something they can do to make mine work.

SANY1277.JPG

SANY1278.JPG

If the compressor fits onto the water pump bracket and over the manifold, it should be easy to fab up some custom brackets to support the back of the compressor.

-
Back