A Cam Grinder

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a custom grind hydraulic roller cam, anyone have a good experience with someone who will do this?

Bullet Cams, they will do what ever you want. Might talk to them first just to see what they recommend.
Delta Cams, there in Oregon. I have used both of them.

I'm thinking of getting a custom grind hydraulic roller cam, anyone have a good experience with someone who will do this?

I have Bullet Cam in my stroked 408 and a buddy runs them in his as well.

They are with out any doubt the best. NEVER buy off the shelf cam again.

I am sure there are other Custom Cam Grinders out there that are awesome. I have xperience with Bullet and will use them from this day forward.

www.bulletcams.com

I dealt with Tim Langly, great guy and very knowledgeable.

For what a hydraulic roller costs,off the shelf, I would definitely go a custom grind....
All the cam grinders mentioned here,will more than deliver. Something to consider...: Be honest about what you ACTUALLY want it to do...,& have all the combination information ready,& at hand. Head flow numbers,compression,gears & transmission/ converter are must have info....

Call Bullet and ask for Tim. If you have to hang on for an hour, then do so. Be prepared with EVERY piece of information possible.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Mike Jones Cams....
Ive used Jones , Engle, Herbert, and most of the others, but not worth mentioning for the sake of this question. Call Herbert cams, they have everything you will need without the re branding. All those Hughes,lunati,etc hyd roller lifters are mostly just re boxed.

Ive used Jones , Engle, Herbert, and most of the others, but not worth mentioning for the sake of this question. Call Herbert cams, they have everything you will need without the re branding. All those Hughes,lunati,etc hyd roller lifters are mostly just re boxed.

Not that I doubt you......but the rest are reboxed WHAT exactly? I am just curious.

Not that I doubt you......but the rest are reboxed WHAT exactly? I am just curious.
Quite a few are/were getting lifters from morel, some etching their name on them, others selling them as some new and improved retrofit lifter... and when it comes to springs, same deal most of the time. Springs for a BIG roller in a small block can get expensive and the valves need to be longer for most off the shelf springs, now the geometry needs work, more work. The rocker kit from B3RACINGENGINES help in more ways than one. K motions K800 is a good go to for a solid roller under .600, Herbert sells a decent hyd roller spring, heavy on the seat, but it works and only around 89 a set. You can easily spend twice the money and end up with the same parts you could have paid half for. This IS a hyd roller cam grinder thread, I know, and cam grinders are like favorite restaurants...Never even heard of some of these companies some push till a few years ago, they were too small before that, doesn't mean they aren't good, but doesnt mean they are either. It's the guy figuring the grind for you that's important. At Herbert, I work with Bruce, Engle its Chris , Bullet....is remember his name...but he didn't even have his own lifters for the solid he sold me, half were different...and though there really is only a couple suppliers/manufacturers of then anymore...they wanted an arm and a leg for mix matched **** and the cam was already way too much....hell the grinder they use is the same for a few of them over here on the west end...lol...pick whoever ya want, I really can only recommend the good ones closer to the source of the parts they push. You're lucky and unlucky that its only a hyd roller.

Last edited:

I'm not going to name names....but Kenny could tell you who grinds what cams and then reboxes them with their name on them.

That's why I'm down to very few cam grinders. I don't want a reboxes cam. And if I call Racer Brown, Jones, Controlled Induction I get the owner on the phone. If I call Cam Motion, I get the guy I've been dealing with since 1999 and if I have a question, I get the owner.

All the companies I mentioned grind their own cams. Jim at RB answers the phone and does the grinding.

Quite a few are/were getting lifters from morel, some etching their name on them, others selling them as some new and improved retrofit lifter... and when it comes to springs, same deal most of the time. Springs for a BIG roller in a small block can get expensive, the valves need to be longer for most off the shelf springs, now the geometry needs work, more work. The rocker kit from B3RACINGENGINES help in more ways than one. K motions K800 is a good go to for a solid roller under .600, Herbert sells a decent hyd roller spring, heavy on the seat, but it works and only around 89 a set. You can easily spend twice the money and end up with the same parts you could have paid half for. This IS a hyd roller cam grinder thread, I know, and cam grinders are like favorite restaurants...
Never even heard of some of these companies some push, doesn't mean they aren't good, but doesnt mean they are either. It's the guy figuring the grind for you that's important. At Herbert, I work with Bruce, Engle its Chris , Bullet....they didn't even have their own lifters for the solid they sold me, half were different...and though there really is only a couple suppliers/manufacturers of then anymore...they wanted an arm and a leg for mix matched **** and the cam was already way too much....hell the grinder they use is the same for a few of them over here on the west end...lol...pick whoever ya want, I really can only recommend the good ones closer to the source.

There ore only 3 maybe 4 lifter manufacturers in the entire world. It's not the reboxes lifters I give a **** about. It's who is grinding the cam.

Just because YOU have never heard of who I mentioned doesn't mean jack dookey to me.

Last edited:
Oregon Cam Grinders did mine and was recommended by someone whose opinion I trust, and it was a hydraulic roller regrind without the fuel pump provision.
Couldn't complain at all for $150 shipped with no core.

Oregon Cam Grinders did mine and was recommended by someone whose opinion I trust, and it was a hydraulic roller regrind without the fuel pump provision.
Couldn't complain at all for $150 shipped with no core.
Cast iron core, is that right?

Oregon cam grinders did my stock magnum roller cam too. Like trailbeat said around 150$ shipped both ways and reground.

Oregon cam grinders did my stock magnum roller cam too. Like trailbeat said around 150$ shipped both ways and reground.

What did you have yours reground to?
Mine is 214/244 and about .512 lift on a 110

Thank you!

Quite a few are/were getting lifters from morel, some etching their name on them, others selling them as some new and improved retrofit lifter... and when it comes to springs, same deal most of the time. Springs for a BIG roller in a small block can get expensive and the valves need to be longer for most off the shelf springs, now the geometry needs work, more work. The rocker kit from B3RACINGENGINES help in more ways than one. K motions K800 is a good go to for a solid roller under .600, Herbert sells a decent hyd roller spring, heavy on the seat, but it works and only around 89 a set. You can easily spend twice the money and end up with the same parts you could have paid half for. This IS a hyd roller cam grinder thread, I know, and cam grinders are like favorite restaurants...Never even heard of some of these companies some push till a few years ago, they were too small before that, doesn't mean they aren't good, but doesnt mean they are either. It's the guy figuring the grind for you that's important. At Herbert, I work with Bruce, Engle its Chris , Bullet....is remember his name...but he didn't even have his own lifters for the solid he sold me, half were different...and though there really is only a couple suppliers/manufacturers of then anymore...they wanted an arm and a leg for mix matched **** and the cam was already way too much....hell the grinder they use is the same for a few of them over here on the west end...lol...pick whoever ya want, I really can only recommend the good ones closer to the source of the parts they push. You're lucky and unlucky that its only a hyd roller.

Cast iron core, is that right?

Thanks guys, I'm not a oppose to getting a proven off the shelve cam, but having said that there's true merit in getting it customized to you specific application. My main motivation here is to get a cast shaft so I don't have to pay an extra $100 for a drive gear just to go roller! So even if it cost a bit more it could be a better option!

My goal is not high reving power, but the best street street motor I can build to suit my needs that I can still afford, so I feel don't feel I need a bullet cam!

Thanks guys, I'm not a oppose to getting a proven off the shelve cam, but having said that there's true merit in getting it customized to you specific application. My main motivation here is to get a cast shaft so I don't have to pay an extra $100 for a drive gear just to go roller! So even if it cost a bit more it could be a better option!

My goal is not high reving power, but the best street street motor I can build to suit my needs that I can still afford, so I feel don't feel I need a bullet cam!

And that's just fine, but if you ever do decide to go with a billet core...let me tell you that those 90 dollar coated steel gears from crane work great, I use one ,street driven.
Whatever you...don't pay mind to thin skinned commenters on here, cantankerous and eager to "master debate" all over other experiences, opinions, and even facts that threaten to pop the bubble they live in.

Whatever you...don't pay mind to thin skinned commenters on here, cantankerous and eager to "master debate" all over other experiences, opinions, and even facts that threaten to pop the bubble they live in.
That's okay everyone has an opinon, I take it all in though.

www.camcraftcams.com/ He also works with one of the Petty teams on their small block Mopar circle track engines.

-
Back