A different perspective on "THE BLACK GHOST" by UTG.

-
I'll just wait for someone to show me another high option, original owner, triple black 70 hemi challenger, and see what it brings
I saw it at mecum and to be honest it looks waayyyy better in pictures than it does in person. Still desirable car obviously.

Its because its old and unrestored...vinyl , paint and carpet etc doesn't last forever. Even in a garage. some say the unrestored survivor thing adds value Im not so sure but...

I'll just wait for someone to show me another high option, original owner, triple black 70 hemi challenger, and see what it brings
i'm of the same thought. not only unrestored but also original owner is near unheard of. you know the history of the car, you know where the car has been the last 50 years, no questionable timeline.

that alone puts this in a different class.

add in hemi + 4spd high option numbers car and that's easy 7 figures

i paid a premium for my barracuda damn near 30 years ago because i knew the family i was buying it from, meticulous paperwork detailing all of the work done to the car and had the timeline on it back into the 70's. i would think something like that would have even more value today and figure into a higher figure for an already rare car.

But fact is Tony is jealous he has no taste nothing nice so he has to bash it , it's out of his league and line of thinking...he still has to beat the "you can do it cheap" drum and it just isn't reality unless you have a leftover parts pile like he does. In my opinion, What rubs people the wrong way and it isn't so much him as it is his viewership, they want to act all smug like they are the smart ones and the guy who laid out the cash for that Hemi car is the idiot...

Last edited:
I think the car is fairly rare, 1 million dollars rare I'm not so sure but to someone that has the money its just a number right? and it hasnt been torn down restored yet etc. it has alot of potential.
something to consider is that when you get into these high dollar cars-- triple digits, rare or sought after pieces-- is that a lot of these people are collectors. sure they may be enthusiasts, and maybe now they have the means to buy the hemi car they always wanted but a lot of them view it a purely transactional. it's an investment.

it's also rich guy bragging rights. "yeah, your 62 ferrari california is nice but i have steve mcqueen's mustang from bullitt"

there's also another factor. when you have the financial means to just buy what you want and get instant gratification.

i have a client that just had to have 440-6 4spd road runner. i told him what a monumental ask that was and what a task it would be to hunt one down let alone what the purchase price could be. but here's the twist, it also had to be a 68. despite informing him that, uh, 440-6 wasn't a thing in 68. now here's where the rich guy stuff comes in: he said i don't care, build it. he didn't want to wait around 3~5 years for a car to get restored, he didn't want the responsibility of owning a real deal, and he wanted it to be 68. he didn't care that the car started life as a old man tan 318 auto. he didn't care that it wasn't "correct". he wanted what he wanted, and he wanted it how he wanted it, and he wanted it now. and was happy to pony up the cash to make that happen.

sometimes, because of subjective taste and passion these vehicle eschew intrinsic value. and that's something that will never change.

Funny how every Uncle Tony thread shoots to 7 pages in a weeks time.
Not a big fan of his, but I watch him now & then, usually when he's brought up here. I do agree though, time does alter peoples recollection, and stories grow to legend status, sometimes even more so through each successive teller,
line under my photo says it all.

Funny how every Uncle Tony thread shoots to 7 pages in a weeks time.
Not a big fan of his, but I watch him now & then, usually when he's brought up here. I do agree though, time does alter peoples recollection, and stories grow to legend status, sometimes even more so through each successive teller,
line under my photo says it all.
I agree I think there is a niche crowd of folks who really love Tony's stories, it doesn't matter how well his car runs or how nice it looks, they like hearing him talk smack about it...it would have never mattered if he never ran that 1/8 mile race against that Ford pickup, but he did and it was something for him to talk about...he does talk too much however and he gets a bit braggadocios if that is a word meaning he goes a bit too far with the BS...I think he should stick to talking though because his wrenching skills are lacking actually and I don't say that out of hate there is actual proof out there if you pay attention. But, in terms of this thread this hemi Challenger sale was something for him to talk about. It doesn't matter what he knows or thinks he knows he had to go on YT and pretend to be a high dollar vehicle expert and then share his opinion on something that isn't really his business, its pretty safe to say he never ran one of his cars through a big dollar car auction :)

Last edited:
UT is his own writer, producer, but I guess someone else is his camera man and sound man!! Probably Mrs. UT.

Personally, I beleive the old car hobby has gotten stranger every year since the 80s! Way back...... MCG (Mopar Collector Guide/Hemmings) was the print souce of cars. Now. The puter, then Cl and now FB Marketplace just shows us everyday how many crazies are out there! POS project cars priced like people on bad dope. Not even decent parts cars.

Parts cars??? ha go find one I guess in the N.E. when they fold in two, they are then parts cars. People that want a perfect old driver for next to nothing.

That Black Ghost. I bet IF that car was advertised anywhere for sale, other than going thru the Mecum hype,it would not be worth pennies on that $. But I am glad someone paid a ton for it and it will have a warm/cool spot in a fancy garage!

People are trying to get into it now on the cheap, even 4 door a bodies can be 7-10 grand these days. Uncle Tony's Bottle rocket would fetch that...its a famous race winning car... :lol:

I only found UTG bout a year ago.. started watching and i was like.. ok.. this guy knows his parts and how to get some stuff done, then i would see stuff that was like.. umm WTF.... just noo... and stopped watching.. Nice thing bout this world is you can just not watch something and let other people enjoy it :) I also don't watch Nick due to stuff on there... we all like what we like.
Yeah he's a butcher and a hack...:rofl:

I can't really talk.. i take some shortcuts but... yeah.. some of the things i have seen.. oh boy..
Did you see his frame fix for that 66 Charger? Or how about his linkage to kick on his nitrous right off the line?

Did you see his frame fix for that 66 Charger? Or how about his linkage to kick on his nitrous right off the line?
no.. i haven't watched him in probably a year and half or so... he was cutting up a 4 door valiant to make a 2 door.. and took his car to the track with bad LCA bushings.. that was one of the last things i ever saw of him.

no.. i haven't watched him in probably a year and half or so... he was cutting up a 4 door valiant to make a 2 door.. and took his car to the track with bad LCA bushings.. that was one of the last things i ever saw of him.
Yeeeah I bailed after the Lunar 318 build thats when he lost credibility with me...and it wasnt so much the build (which was a fail) it was the "oh well" attitude after the kid dumped alot of money out just so Tony could make a YT video. Thats when his true colors shined through

Yeeeah I bailed after the Lunar 318 build thats when he lost credibility with me...and it wasnt so much the build (which was a fail) it was the "oh well" attitude after the kid dumped alot of money out just so Tony could make a YT video. Thats when his true colors shined through
Was the the extra tolerance main bearings one? I did see that motor die on nicks channel.. who i don't watch anymore either though.. ran into it looking at dyno vids

Was the the extra tolerance main bearings one? I did see that motor die on nicks channel.. who i don't watch anymore either though.. ran into it looking at dyno vids
Yeah that was it. Tony did a "marathon build" yeah that's ok but don't forget to check bearing clearances. Then he acted like "that was him, not me" ok Tnoy was the older adult there for guidance and Tony was "the old pro" he would have taken all the credit if it didn't go south...this is the slimey ness about him that I dislike. Furthermore he put his name on the side of the Oil pan...we all make mistakes but adults own up to them

He did send along a big bag of stay dry. He was figuring on it to blow. I figured the kid was in on it, knowing it was going to be junk. Who drives all the way up to Quebec to dyno test? It was using Nick and Tony for clicks.

He did send along a big bag of stay dry. He was figuring on it to blow. I figured the kid was in on it, knowing it was going to be junk. Who drives all the way up to Quebec to dyno test? It was using Nick and Tony for clicks.
That's one way to spin it I suppose ... :lol:

Had a pretty serious conversation with my brother about Tony and his video about the Ghost. My brother agreed with him about the whole story being made up, all for the purpose of jacking up the sale of the car. He made some good points, but in the end it is a one owner, triple black 70 Hemi Challenger 4 speed car, and someone was willing to spend some big $$ on it. Is it worth a million? Someone once said that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it on any given day. Should the new owner decide to take a chance and sell it, the market will them decide what it's worth.

I would much prefer to get Mopar advise from the knowledgeable on FABO than UT, but again, his point about the bidding being as bogas as the legendary status of the car makes more sense (to me anyways) than there are TWO extremely wealthy uniformed collector car bidders.

^^ I guess the BJ or Mecum dog and pony sales, could be like the little monthly plug horse sale...... have one bidder and another guy running it up??? Or just two rich and perhaps drunk guys actually bidding????

IF they did not charge you a fee for a bidders number, would it not be a hoot to call in BS phone bids!!???? Just saying....

I'm not a fan of UTG, but he found a market and is making money at it. Why don't you critics start your own channels and do things correctly. You could make a million. As they say, "those that can, do. Those that can't, talk".

-
Back