A different perspective on "THE BLACK GHOST" by UTG.

-
I

Hope he is..its too bad he only finally figured out how to make a living at 62 years of age... maybe he can use some of that money to buy some new clothes, get a haircut and a shave , go to the dentist and then buy a carton of class a cigarettes....I always say being cheap is a nasty habit that's hard to break...:)

I'm not going to be that judgemental. :)

Last edited:
What that called in some circles? A pickle sniffer or some such?
LOL! it gets bad especially over at YT. Thing is its grown men of all ages acting like little girls. Defending that hack Tony. Real mentally ill types. I see alot of people praising Tony for being "old school" Im not sure what that means actually,even in the 70s and 80s Professional mechanics couldn't get away with being hacks. He wouldn't have been qualified to spin wrenches then either.

Last edited:
An observant UT watcher declared all his wrenches looked like pawn store Craftsmans. Wait.... most f ine are too. At least they didn't come from HF yesterday!??/ :poke:
:thumbsup:

Let of my cars are bunkers and rust buckets.
I see them as cheap thrills.

Let of my cars are bunkers and rust buckets.
I see them as cheap thrills.
It isn't cheap these days so, why not start a project with a fairly decent foundation that isn't a rust bucket that needs everything just to go down the road. It costs more to restore a basket case than it does to save money and buy a turn key car....No one I know is doing it, guys with heaps, they just sit they don't get driven...

It isn't cheap these days so, why not start a project with a fairly decent foundation that isn't a rust bucket that needs everything just to go down the road.
Both of my Dusters, ‘73 Cúda & ‘79 Magnum are in a run and drive condition minus the drive trains being built for them.

The Dusters are the worst needing full floors and trunk.
The Cuda needs outside body panels.
Magnum needs rust repair. It was my every day driver for a decade or so.

The Dusters will get raced, not restored. Restoration is not my thing.
The Magnum will get fixed as far as my ability allows.
The Cuda is in limbo at the moment. It needs a lot.
It costs more to restore a basket case than it does to save money and buy a turn key car....
True! But a junker is get in and drive… or in my case, just enjoy or fix a little to race. No basket cases here.
No one I know is doing it, guys with heaps, they just sit they don't get driven...
If a guy with a car just lets it sit, be it a triple mint on mint original or restored car or a rust bucket, it might as well be a P.O.S.

The ‘71 Duster

IMG_0149.jpeg

IMG_0195.jpeg

The just acquired 74 Duster

70655362044__324DE39B-163E-457C-B5EB-808A8F9746AC.jpeg

70655245940__1159BC9B-972A-48E7-B296-F041CA17C3D1.jpeg

The ‘79 Magnum

IMG_0067.jpeg

IMG_0105.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

That I remember. Where and when has he sold last?

cool car but "legendary " on the Detroit street scene???. All my buddies that were part of the Detroit street racing crowd from the late 60's to mid 70's....never heard of it.

I think the story is embellished to say the least, The way Mecum hyped it just highlights what snakes auction houses are.

I don't know Tony at all but I found his take at the end regarding the bidding was as bogus as the legendary tag to be very enlightening. I can almost believe there is one rich fool out there.....but two? I don't know but it sounds like they are jackin me.

on the notion the Challenger, even with its high performance trailer hitch did not look the part.......here is Steve Lisks Challenger. None of the true legends even resembled any kind of a sleeper. Some were 9 second race cars (Silver Bullet) running on the street, sans the safety equipment. Big slicks, tunnel rams, 5 something gear ratios, high compression and lumpy cams were the order of the day.

Lisk 3.jpg

Just to clarify I am thinking for a guy to get into the Mopar game( or old car game in general) now it would be very expensive starting with a tow home basket case like I did back in 1993. In 93 Mopars were still kind of cheap. in the 80s they were definitely throw aways. I told the wife "if I hadn't been buying parts all these years i couldn't finish my car now it would be way too pricey" Uncle tony tries to convey that the hobby can be done on the cheap, what he failed to say is he's had his parts pile for years and it comes from the days when the stuff was cheap. I dont suspect his viewership cares as I really dont believe they are building a car using any of his advice or techniques. I do know he's down south and I cant speak for that part of the country but, up in the Northern east coast there just isn't very many piece of junk cars on the road you just don't see them and the police would razz you if the safety of the vehicle was in question. Let me ask is there anyone any where that sees Uncle Tony type junk on the road? Any old Coronet with the interior streipped out, no mufflers making noise all the way down the street? or How about that dart with no headlights taillights stp stickers is what you see in the rearview? I don't ever see junk like that but I live in a dense populated area. maybe there is a old car promised land where that stuff goes on like they are still living in the 80s...its just not where I'm at I see redone car cruises on sat mornings, and race cars at the drag strip ..but they are 2 different things they put the kiboish on street racing here 30 years ago or more they really cracked down on it innocent people were getting hurt. Its not the early 80s here any more except for in the head of Uncle Tony or maybe in the backwoods of TN I dunno. Its just reality if I want to race i go to test and tune or maybe you get the occasional idiot on the highway wanting to go at a roll.

Last edited:
^^^It all depends where you live. We live in the country I drive my old AMC Hornet all around here, BUT it is painted BUT no inspection sticker it should have, and the tag is off another old car from a couple years back.I guess I could get a ticket. It is insured. I sold the more door Bel, it was painted but NO back seat plenty noisy. Anyone car?????? Not really.

Five years ago in rural Mo. I saw people actually drive the old cars more as I did there. But they were country types like me. 99% of these old cars we all know are weekend wrriors mostly!

^^^It all depends where you live. We live in the country I drive my old AMC Hornet all around here, BUT it is painted BUT no inspection sticker it should have, and the tag is off another old car from a couple years back.I guess I could get a ticket. It is insured. I sold the more door Bel, it was painted but NO back seat plenty noisy. Anyone car?????? Not really.

Five years ago in rural Mo. I saw people actually drive the old cars more as I did there. But they were country types like me. 99% of these old cars we all know are weekend wrriors mostly!
Yeah I drove cars like that in the 80s, with tags from other cars etc. Not so much now it just isn't worth it if I get stopped by the wrong cop, they can impound it etc. They would do the same back then but it was just easier to get away with then I'm not sure why maybe the fact they can use computers to run tags faster now etc. I would thing rural vs being close to town plays into it also. I used to sneak cars out into farm country just to run them and see how they run way before actually insuring and tagging them . I was at the time a broke kid though. There was alot of "middle of the night " country cruising LOL! Don't get me wrong I've done all the stuff tony does I just grown up is all, I've run cars with open headers through town i was 19 though and oblivious. when you ar ethat age you are like "what? whats the big deal..? when you are an adult you sorta know not to draw attention top yourself. The police start saying "you are old enough to know better.." :)

Hey Rumble nice cars by the way...definitely not junk :) beleive it or not there is a crowd out there that dislikes properly done up cars they are beyond rat rod folks they are junkyard people I suppose though that's all that is left. That Challenger is a hemi car if someone wants to pay 1 million ..its on them for bidding that high. Then it would get into how rare is it as far as the options? Thing is , Tony will do the exact same thing hell sell that Coronet as "The famous Uncle Tony garage Bottle rocket" and someone will pay way too much for it...if you watch Tony he'll bash someone for doing exactly what he does only they are way more successful at it. He wont get 1 million for that car but hell get close to 8 or 10 grand and its only worth scrap price like he paid for it.

Last edited:
I'll just wait for someone to show me another high option, original owner, triple black 70 hemi challenger, and see what it brings

I'll just wait for someone to show me another high option, original owner, triple black 70 hemi challenger, and see what it brings
I think the car is fairly rare, 1 million dollars rare I'm not so sure but to someone that has the money its just a number right? and it hasnt been torn down restored yet etc. it has alot of potential.

-
Back