A different Q on 340 Vs 416

-
Maybe not exactly cuz the 340 won't be making peak torque until 4000 or more whereas the stroker might make peak torque 1000 rpm lower.
So the 340 with a 3000 TC might only make say 75/80% at 3000, so say;
2.45x3.91x(397x 80%) =3042, whereas the stroker also at 3000 might be making 90% x 3579=3221., about 6% difference.
In any case this is probably 500 to 800 ftlbs more than is needed to boil street tires on the street, with street-suspension.. Hang on, hang on, My 367 has a clutch and might make 400 ftlbs at 4000; say 250@2000, which with a 10.97 starter gear, easily launches BFG 325/50-15 DRs. So the math on that would be 3.55x3.09x250=2742 The 295 BFG-T/As that are usually on it will launch from less Rs, so say 2200ftlbs.
But we haven't yet talked about the TM (Torque Multiplication) that occurs inside the TC right on the start line. Which I don't know anything about, but have heard it estimated to be a high as 20%,allbeit only briefly. Which kindof makes sense... cuz the factory usually put 3.55s behind sticks and 10% less, or 3.23s, behind autos. In other words the stick cars needed a lil bit more TM, to keep up with the cars that had some built-in TM inside the TC. With that type of logic one could surmise a minimum of 10% inside the TC. However I have no idea for how long the multiplication exists or to what degree.
Long-story short either combo has ample torque to break traction. And ample power to spin to 60 mph.
And so does a well-built 318.
So just build whatever and go have fun.

OP it sure sounds like you have your mind made up towards the stroker-because you've been there and done that with the high rpm 340.

Here is my opinion and its free so take it for what its worth-nothing. In your shoes I would still build the 3.31 340 and gear it accordingly. The rod ratio, piston loading and general engine 'happiness' is so much better. The OEM engineers knew what they were doing. Put a nice set of modern forged pistons in it and get it balanced. Put a healthy cam in it and enjoy a true musclecar engine experience. I wouldn't trade 7000 rpm for 6000 rpm if I didn't have to. Either way I don't care what you do or don't do, I only know what I'd do. Below is what I'm doing ATM. J.Rob

New life for an old 340 (stock stroke)

Good question! No idea, I didn't burn a single brain cell thinking about it. Not going to either because that tends to cost me $$$$. J.Rob
There is alot of truth in that post in your thread and it makes alot of sence:)

OP it sure sounds like you have your mind made up towards the stroker-because you've been there and done that with the high rpm 340.

Here is my opinion and its free so take it for what its worth-nothing. In your shoes I would still build the 3.31 340 and gear it accordingly. The rod ratio, piston loading and general engine 'happiness' is so much better. The OEM engineers knew what they were doing. Put a nice set of modern forged pistons in it and get it balanced. Put a healthy cam in it and enjoy a true musclecar engine experience. I wouldn't trade 7000 rpm for 6000 rpm if I didn't have to. Either way I don't care what you do or don't do, I only know what I'd do. Below is what I'm doing ATM. J.Rob

New life for an old 340 (stock stroke)

Im not entirely stuck on anything yet,i do like high rpm 340s and know what im getting in that case,stroker would be a new adventure so to speak. Both directions sure seems to have their points but that quote from your thread sure makes sence,and that build is not to far from what im doing if i go stock stroke.

A hi-po 340 is nice, I have to agree.

One thing that is real intresting with having a stock stroke higher rpm engine is other peoples reaction to them,all the crap you get told about how an engine is not going to last and wont run well on the street just because it has the capacity to turn some rpm:) There is a nice advantage with a stock stroke engine that i know what im getting.

One thing that is real intresting with having a stock stroke higher rpm engine is other peoples reaction to them,all the crap you get told about how an engine is not going to last and wont run well on the street just because it has the capacity to turn some rpm:) There is a nice advantage with a stock stroke engine that i know what im getting.
Yeah I get that all the time with my 367;
It's either; "oh you shouldda built a 340", or "that 360 is gonna blow up".
Well it has over 100,000 on it now, and at one time it went 93 in the 1/8th, so, yeah, I guess 360s are junk like they say... Not!! I bored it to 4.04 and call it a stroked 340, and that usually shuts 'em up.
I totally agree with you, and am glad I did it my way, and I'm pretty sure that
You will be glad you did it your way;
and daymn the torpedoes!

cheers for AJ
but guys, you are not going to have a quick revving SBM without lighter pistons
only place I'd run a cu in limited motor- like a 340 is in a stocker or cu in limited class
everywhere else a stroker will prevail

It would have to be very tight class competition before bobweight becomes a huge competitive factor.

Yeah I get that all the time with my 367;
It's either; "oh you shouldda built a 340", or "that 360 is gonna blow up".
Well it has over 100,000 on it now, and at one time it went 93 in the 1/8th, so, yeah, I guess 360s are junk like they say... Not!! I bored it to 4.04 and call it a stroked 340, and that usually shuts 'em up.
I totally agree with you, and am glad I did it my way, and I'm pretty sure that
You will be glad you did it your way;
and daymn the torpedoes!
Yep most things last long,if just taken care of them right and by looking things over carefully while asembling.
Thanks for the math you have posted in this thread,it was darn good confirmation of what i thought but did did not know so to speak!

cheers for AJ
but guys, you are not going to have a quick revving SBM without lighter pistons
only place I'd run a cu in limited motor- like a 340 is in a stocker or cu in limited class
everywhere else a stroker will prevail
There wont be any heavy TRW slugs in this thing this time around, nothing against them they are very durable and has their place in alot of engines,but there is no reason not to go for a lighter piston when available.

It would have to be very tight class competition before bobweight becomes a huge competitive factor.

From a different point of view, a lighter rotating assembly is not just that,its also a lighter car all togheter,considering how much money we all trow at parts to make the car alitle lighter where possible. For what its worth i will stay away from heavy pistons regardless of where i go with this,there is no point in using them.

Thanks for the math you have posted in this thread,it was darn good confirmation of what i thought but did did not know so to speak!
You know I was guessing at the numbers right? altho to the best of my abilities. The point was a comparison and not an absolute. I think the guessing part is valid to as close as I can guess,lol.

I am very happy with the KB107s in my 360; IIRC they were a tic over 500grams

You know I was guessing at the numbers right? altho to the best of my abilities. The point was a comparison and not an absolute. I think the guessing part is valid to as close as I can guess,lol.

I am very happy with the KB107s in my 360; IIRC they were a tic over 500grams

Yep but the numbers seem relevant and close enough for comparison purposes in my opinion.
Yeah thats a nice weight,i think regular TRWs for 340 are somewhere in the 700g territory,and the old TRW domepistons with shaved domes i ran where also in the higher 600´s from memory and im quite sure i have seen 500 somthing gram pistons available for stockstroke 340s.

Oh for what its worth this thing will most certainly get the Airgap manifold regardless of what stroke i end up with due to cost and the fact that i have it and know that it will run good with it,but im also cofindent that at some point when i manage to scrape up the money for the needed carbs and a few other things incluing shaving alitle height of it i will probably slap the tunnelram on the thing again but thats far down the road from here.

Sweeden Exhaust heat and heat stove on the exhaust to Air cleaner or is this a Summer only build
273 needs to swap out some 6 pack pistons to see the light
save the stock pistons for - well you can D Dish the 6 pack TRW style pistons for 9:1 closed chamber heads for Street, trucks, marine, motorhomes
the lower compression height pistons get scrapped
did put some on some hemi rods one time for a guys "spare parts build"

Sweeden Exhaust heat and heat stove on the exhaust to Air cleaner or is this a Summer only build
273 needs to swap out some 6 pack pistons to see the light
save the stock pistons for - well you can D Dish the 6 pack TRW style pistons for 9:1 closed chamber heads for Street, trucks, marine, motorhomes
the lower compression height pistons get scrapped
did put some on some hemi rods one time for a guys "spare parts build"

Drove that car the first winter i owned it and the salt is still eating it,summercar for sure.

Did a comparison using the ancient but very usable DD2000,its certainly an intresting difference.

340vs416.jpg

With all the stroker builds out there it is refreshing to see an old skool build like a stock stroke 340 and some nice 3.91s!!:steering:

318, 340 and 360 are all same block
They aren't. Size wise externally, as mentioned already, they are.

Some 318's will bore to std 340, but none would take the line bore to fit the larger 360 main journal and be worth a ****... you would instead grind down the mains on the 360 crank to fit the smaller saddle.
Even the 318 main cap is shorter and overall less beefier than a 340/360 cap.

You can do tricky things with experience... but watch out on blanket statements like that.

They aren't. Size wise externally, as mentioned already, they are.

Some 318's will bore to std 340, but none would take the line bore to fit the larger 360 main journal and be worth a ****... you would instead grind down the mains on the 360 crank to fit the smaller saddle.
Even the 318 main cap is shorter and overall less beefier than a 340/360 cap.

You can do tricky things with experience... but watch out on blanket statements like that.

I knew of the outside of the motors but never knew of the internal differences...SORRY

With all the stroker builds out there it is refreshing to see an old skool build like a stock stroke 340 and some nice 3.91s!!:steering:

I like the way you think here :)

Maybe even the 292 purple cam or a mechanical 557 purple cam in the mix!!!:thumbsup:

Nope thats not going to happen,im a solidroller kind of guy(have two sets of lifters and that good enough of a reason to keep on running rollers),but the cam i have is not that far from those in duration:thumbsup:

Yep they are much better at scattering needles all through your motor they like to be kept on the lobe and especially do not like valve float

-
Back