A few questions about tools for an entry tech...

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
I'm starting as an entry level tech in a few weeks, I just want to make sure I have all my basic tools. I've got a question about a couple though:

I've yet to ever run into needing a crow's foot for a job. Is this a tool that I should invest in though? Or will I probably not ever run into needing them? Also do any of you use an air hammer with a tie rod end separator? Or just a good ol pickle fork?

Here's a list of my tools. Let me know if I'm missing anything:
SAE & Metric Wrenches & Sockets, Allen & Torx
Breaker bar, assorted ratchets, and extensions. 1/4 3/8 1/2
1/2" Torque wrench
torque bars
pliers & vice grips
Prybars
Measuring Tape
Micrometer
Dial indicator
Multimeter
screwdrivers and 2.5' phillips and flat head
dead blow
3lb sledge
impact wrench
die grinder
air hammer
Ball joint press
pitman arm puller

I may have missed a few things, does anyone notice anything big missing that I'd need doing a lot of front end work?

Just off the top of my head. I would also add a brass hammer and brass drift set as well as a good set of bolt extractors.

Great, thanks guys! What would I be using the punch/drift set on? Just to reach stuff?

a bfh, that's my favorite tool lol, never seperated tie rod ends w/a pickle fork, hit the end w/a bfh, and put pressure at the seperation point.......
higgs

Great, thanks guys! What would I be using the punch/drift set on? Just to reach stuff?

I'm an industrial mechanic and use mine almost on a daily basis replacing bearings and rebuilding parts. The brass is soft and won't damage metal parts. You ever seen parts people have just beat the crap out of with a hammer to remove? In some cases a brass hammer or brass drift would work just fine. I just think it's a good idea to have a set.

It's been awhile since I was a line tech but what I remember NEEDING was a couple of really good ratchets. Maybe a couple in each size for that matter. One straight handle and one with a swivel head, in 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2". I used cheaper sockets like Craftsman but their ratchets wouldn't last a week in a pro shop. Also a drop cord trouble light, a couple different size long reach magnetic pick up tools. If you can find one that flexes and one on a stiff extension you will be happy. A small tip magnetic pick up to clean debris out of a bolt hole. I would also invest in a good set of standard and metric re-thread tools. This to go along with the tap and die set, but these little buggers are easier to use to clean up rusted bolts and bolt holes while putting a job back together. If you didn't already say you had a good set of pry bars, I'd get those to start out too. You will use them every day.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I've yet to ever run into needing a crow's foot for a job. Is this a tool that I should invest in though?

I use them for fluid lines like a power steering line. Most of the time the fittings are hard too get to and you will need some sort of extension/swivel combination and a crow's foot to break it loose and tighten it.

Also do any of you use an air hammer with a tie rod end separator? Or just a good ol pickle fork?

I've never seen anyone use a pickle fork on a modern car. Unless you don't care about destroying parts... like said before you will likely use a hammer
or if it comes down to it, heat.

1/2" Torque wrench
torque bars
pliers & vice grips
Prybars
Measuring Tape
Micrometer
Dial indicator
Multimeter
dead blow
3lb sledge
impact wrench
die grinder
air hammer
Ball joint press
pitman arm puller

I may have missed a few things, does anyone notice anything big missing that I'd need doing a lot of front end work?

if you are doing a lot of front end work, I would invest in a good torch set up. The shop ones are always beat. I would also say you might want to look into getting some universal sockets, I can't live without those. Also Torque Stix and a brake caliper piston tool. And yeah, good bungee cords!

Once you start, you will know what you'll need because you will be borrowing it all the time. Unwritten rule is that if you borrow a particular tool three times, it's time to buy it.

I'm starting as an entry level tech in a few weeks, I just want to make sure I have all my basic tools. I've got a question about a couple though:

I've yet to ever run into needing a crow's foot for a job. Is this a tool that I should invest in though? Or will I probably not ever run into needing them? Also do any of you use an air hammer with a tie rod end separator? Or just a good ol pickle fork?

1/2" Torque wrench
torque bars
pliers & vice grips
Prybars
Measuring Tape
Micrometer
Dial indicator
Multimeter
dead blow
3lb sledge
impact wrench
die grinder
air hammer
Ball joint press
pitman arm puller

Your journey is just beginning, tool-wise, Rusty. The bane of my existence as a professional tech has been the costs and numbers of ever-changing tool requirements over the years. Changes in vehicle design and fastener configurations will ensure a steady need for you to tithe a percentage of every week's paycheck to your box. When I met my CPA wife (20-some years ago) she was flabbergasted at my tool budget.

Will you be staying on the alignment rack, or moving to something different in the forseeable future? Steering/suspension systems and wheel alignments are constantly becoming more and more technologically sophisticated, as are all the rest of the automotive repair trade areas. Along with those technological advances will always come a need for specialty tools, in addition to the basic hand tools you've mentioned. Tool requirements for different areas of auto repair expertise will change as you go.

As to what tools you already have and what you may need...my personal mantra has always been that if I have to borrow a tool twice...I buy it the third time. I have some tools in my box that I haven't used in years, but just as soon as I let them go (or misplace them), I'll need 'em. lol Different shops have different ideas about who buys what tools, as well. I tend to buy all my own stuff, even expensive diagnostic equipment. That way I don't have to wait for someone else to get done with the tool; plus it gives me bitchin' rights, and I don't have to loan 'em out if I don't want to. :toothy10:

Sounds like you have a decent start. I'd also get myself a 1/4 drive and 3/8 drive torque wrench. Torque everything!

Your most valuable tool, however, will be your brain. Train constantly. Get yourself some trade mags coming...many of them are free. Go to classes every chance you get. Do your best to stay on top of the ever changing world you are about to immerse yourself in. If you're not already a member...join iATN (International Automotive Technician's Network) http://www.iatn.net/ as an individual sponsor, if your shop doesn't have such an account there. Dues are $35.00/quarter, I believe. I'd have to ask my wife, who actually pays the bills. :) It's money well spent, imo. I go there frequently, myself.

There's a wealth of information there, and the best of the best in our industry have all sorts of helpful information, including tips on all areas of the trade. There's even a tool specific forum. Seriously, check it out. As a sponsoring member, you'll have access to many areas which can help tremendously. For example, I copied this from the Knowledge Base (an iATN premium subscriber feature) tab:

FIX Database TechHelp requests, updates, and fixes, searchable by year, make, model, system, symptom, and more. 219,711
1,322,867Records
Replies Forum Archives iATN web forum discussions, searchable by keyword, author name, and more. 1,522,274RecordsWaveform Library File library of waveforms, scandata, component photos, documents, videos, etc., searchable by year, make, model, condition, and more.
25,871Files

Welcome, Rusty, to one of the most personally rewarding and equally frustrating professions you will find out there. I can guarantee this; if you stick with it, you'll never be bored! You may want to pull your hair out from time to time...but you'll never be bored!

And yes...you will most likely eventually need crow's feet. Metric and SAE. And LOTS of other tools you've not mentioned. 8)

Always do the job right, and Good Luck! If you have specific questions about the industry, please don't hesitate to ask...maybe I can help.

Thank you all for the replies.

I'm going to look into iATN once I get some money to spend on that. It does look like a very helpful resource.

I'm not planning on being on the alignment rack forever, this is my first job as a tech, and the front end is my current strong point. I'm always expanding my knowledge and want to move much further than just front end. My dream is to become a full service import tech.

Also, how do you identify your tools? I was thinking on just spraying the tips of them with a certain color of spray paint so they don't get stolen by other techs. At the same time, I don't want to look like a paranoid jerk coming into the shop with my cheap tools all spray painted up. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Drake

I've always worked in smaller, independent shops, so tool thieves have been few and far between, in my experience. I started out marking my tools long ago, but have since quit doing so. I know what's mine and what isn't, as do the other guys I work with.

My general rule of thumb regarding my tools is that I'm more than willing to loan you a tool (at least a couple times 8)).

But it's well known by those I work with that if I catch you with your hand in my box when it doesn't belong there, I'll break it off in the drawer. Thieves are among the most reviled of scum, in my book. TOOL THIEVES are below even that! I don't play around with it at all.

Paint will wear off eventually. Get an engraver if you're serious about marking them. But be prepared to spend time putting your ID on those little tiny 1/4 drive, 3/16th inch or 5 mm shallow sockets, Allen wrenches, picks, driver bits, etc. :-D

Looks like your list is a good start although I doubt the micrometer or multimeter will get much use on a front end rack. I would add a set of line wrenches however. Anything else you can add as you go. If you're specializing in one make, you might find you'll want some specialty tools for that make but many times the shop will have those on hand for all to use. Check with the shop to see if they require anything special.

Oh, you probably will want an air hammer with assorted attachments. Those are handy for all kinds of repairs. A crow foot set can wait.....

I would get a craftsman set of rachet reducers and vise versa

Also of significant importance...EAR AND EYE PROTECTION.

SAFETY FIRST!

Yours, as well as that of others...

-
Back