A question and an ask SBM 318

-
I appreciate what you share here Matt, life can get overwhelming at times. We are familiar with special needs kids.
Positive thoughts! :thumbsup:
I did the same as you, I put the plugs in and the bolt with hole(same as we did with 273). BUT I went without the oil slinger after seeing how close/tight it was on JP dbl roller TC and reading up on some having issues with them.

And honestly I cleaned it all up, oiled everything, and wrapped it in a fresh new trash bag. Its sitting in the corner of the shop now. I do not have the time or the mental capacity to deal with this uninterrupted right now. This may also be the reason my 07 mustang GT has been sitting unstarted, unused under a cover sitting on 4 flat spotted tires for the last 5 years in my garage. I walk past it daily and ignore it. I honestly just dont want to deal with it. The amount of B.S. I have to put up with in my life lately has been too much. I honestly dont know how I keep going. The latest was the 2015 Impala LT I bought my wife with only 17k on the clock. My 16 year old with mental health issues steals it and wrecks it. I have not even made a payment on it yet, plus my 10 year old with Aspergers and ADHD is at a 7 year old level mentally, and will now have to be homeschooled. Ya, I got enough on my plate. Life isnt really grand for me right now.

Now that I got the plugs issue straightened out, I am going to doll this teener up like a 69 340. I bought duplicolor chrysler blue enamel, but it's got that ceramic in it, and doesnt really shine on the samples I painted, and appears to be the wrong color. I decided to go with VHT engine enamel, however weren't the early 340s the turquoise green? Car is going to be red, I dont want the engine to be red too. Detroit diesel green appears as a close match to Chrysler turquoise. Anybody here have a better idea than using the detroit diesel green? I can get it at oreillys right here.

Look at Eastwood’s paints. They have cut back on some colors but the last time I looked (probably 2 years ago) they still had that color.

Its a bit pricey but it’s quality paint.

EDIT: I just looked. They discontinued that color. It sucks because they have 2 different Pontiac colors and not Chrysler blue.

When we did the 273 in 2012 we used Eastwood Chrysler Red brush on. Great stuff! Good luck getting that **** across the border now...
Look at Eastwood’s paints. They have cut back on some colors but the last time I looked (probably 2 years ago) they still had that color.

EDIT: I just looked. They discontinued that color. It sucks because they have 2 different Pontiac colors and not Chrysler blue.

I appreciate what you share here Matt, life can get overwhelming at times. We are familiar with special needs kids.
Positive thoughts! :thumbsup:
I did the same as you, I put the plugs in and the bolt with hole(same as we did with 273). BUT I went without the oil slinger after seeing how close/tight it was on JP dbl roller TC and reading up on some having issues with them.
Thanks for the Kudos and the pep talk, but most times lately I'm outta "G.A.S." "Give A ****". I wonder if when these kids are grown and gone if my "Give A ****" will be back, or if I will be permanently mentally broken from all the B.S.

In other thoughts, I'm not planning on using the oil slinger ring either. I wanted to use the 3.9L V6 timing chain tensioner with a double roller chain, but have heard of bad results with that.

I was out looking at some rattle can crap and couldn’t find Chrysler Blue at any of the big chain stores.

The 3.9L V6 had the chain tensioners from the factory. Mopar performance sold them as a hot rod part in the 90s and 2000s as the chains start to stretch, these take the slack out of the chain. Not designed for a double roller chain, the black nylon tensioner is not wide enough for that type of chain. I think that's why people were having issues with them.

th.jpeg-1.jpg

Mancini racing has their own labeled Blue. $60 a case of 6.
The MoPar paints are semi in stock. No Blue, Red or Argent. I am going to be looking for the Argent now. I want to re so my sons steel wheels. What ever Argent paint is in there now is pretty weather beaten. OK I guess for a ‘91 truck that worked.

Another tensioner pic. It might be wide enough for a double roller. I have I think a melling version I got off Rockauto for this project a few years ago. These are not super expensive. The one I bought was maybe $25. I need to look at it when I actually start assembling this thing.

th.jpeg-2.jpg

I used one when I replaced the chain and sprocket set on my Dakota. The tensioner was worn but the chain was ridiculously done. I can’t complain with a used truck and getting almost 200K out of it. The OE water pump gave up at 175K. It was very an outing to go back in after a short time.

Thanks for the Kudos and the pep talk, but most times lately I'm outta "G.A.S." "Give A ****". I wonder if when these kids are grown and gone if my "Give A ****" will be back, or if I will be permanently mentally broken from all the B.S.

In other thoughts, I'm not planning on using the oil slinger ring either. I wanted to use the 3.9L V6 timing chain tensioner with a double roller chain, but have heard of bad results with that.
i got a 19 yr old son thats special needs and a 17 yr old daughter thats adhd and bi polar, a older brother that had 3 strokes all on my own single parent and try to be a truck driver as much as i can and i do wounder if ill ever get my "give a damn" back as well!! any ways good luck with it all!!

i got a 19 yr old son thats special needs and a 17 yr old daughter thats adhd and bi polar, a older brother that had 3 strokes all on my own single parent and try to be a truck driver as much as i can and i do wounder if ill ever get my "give a damn" back as well!! any ways good luck with it all!!
I feel for you brother. It ain't easy. Then people who have no clue tend to judge when someone dealing with this type of **** self medicates.

Last edited:
didnt take long to learn, i gotta take care of me if im gonna take care of erry body else too!
I dont want to take care of everybody else, I'm tired of taking care of everybody else. I appreciate everyone's input on this issue with the plugs. I will figure it all out. It's not like its gonna be assembled anytime soon.

My machinest had a single 19/32" plug. So I now have everything for the oiling holes. I talked to my resident mopar head who said without the plugs in the front holes, you will have a helluva leak at the front. It will be less with the machined thrust plate, but it will be there. If you use the V6 chain tensioner with its stamped steel thrust plate, the leak will be even worse. He also said the tensioner is wide enough to work with the double roller chains with no adverse effects.

I painted a 318 Chevy blue back in 2003 because that was what color they had at Wal Mart...:)

My machinest had a single 19/32" plug. So I now have everything for the oiling holes. I talked to my resident mopar head who said without the plugs in the front holes, you will have a helluva leak at the front. It will be less with the machined thrust plate, but it will be there. If you use the V6 chain tensioner with its stamped steel thrust plate, the leak will be even worse. He also said the tensioner is wide enough to work with the double roller chains with no adverse effects.
All Magnum motors I’ve torn down had the plugs behind the cam plate and they were never opened prior to me breaking them down.

As far as a Pre-Magnum Motor, I cannot say for sure if they were there and or not as I have not torn one down since the late 80’s.

I went with Red on mine from Duplicolor, Code is DE1653.

1BF7DB27-9CA6-4FFF-BF7A-73DDCFCC17D0.jpeg

8148818A-94A4-419B-A13F-6E79268982B2.jpeg

D1B3C77E-6294-4CF9-81A5-2F7687A00F87.jpeg

I tested that. Probably 5-6 times over the years. I have never seen a “helluva” leak around that plate. It just doesn’t happen unless the block has an issue or the cam plate isn’t flat (seen that a couple of times) and in that case the cam plate needs to be replaced.

Like I said, I’ve pulled apart enough of these engines that were never apart before and not one of them had the plugs in there.

Use the plugs if it makes you feel better but if they aren’t in there you’d never know it.

Maybe when I put my junk back together I’ll make a video of how much oil leaks past that plate with no plugs in the gallery’s.

Of course, it wouldn’t matter if I did because you’d still have those who would argue how important they are. Not even God Himself could convince them otherwise.

I plan on using the melling timing tensioner. It's not a machined plate like the thrust plate is that it replaces. Since it's not machined flat, it will have a leak. I did find the second 19/32" plug I needed so I will use them.

I plan on using the melling timing tensioner. It's not a machined plate like the thrust plate is that it replaces. Since it's not machined flat, it will have a leak. I did find the second 19/32" plug I needed so I will use them.

Good point. I have one of those laying around here, and a gear drive with its own plate.

I tested the GD years ago because this issue was causing some in my circles to wet themselves so I checked it.

So I’ll do a stock plate, a tensioner and the GD and show it in a video.

-
Back