A Sherlock Holmes needed to ID 340 springs - Aftermarket

-

kevinh

Reaction score
I want to put a new cam in a 340. The problem is the spring were replaced before I bought it. I would like to know what application this spring was used for for obvious reasons: They may be usable for this or another build. Ideally it would be nice to know who manufactured it, but short of that, it would be helpful for an experience engine builder to weigh in and say under what circumstances this (a longer, thinner gauge) spring would be used. Here are some clues:

The spring was installed pre-1991.
It is approximately 1.44" in diameter, 2.34" free length and wire is approximately .18"
The valves measure stock in length.
Installed height is the same as on my stock head with stock springs: 1.7

The picture shows the unknown spring on the left and a stock 340 spring on the right, for comparison.

Thanks.

IMGP9783_zpsc1gbjmnk.jpg

Springs are so cheap. Just buy the right ones for your new cam and be done with it. That's the only way to be safe.

Springs are so cheap. Just buy the right ones for your new cam and be done with it. That's the only way to be safe.

X2 or.......if you wanna be real stubborn, take them to a machine shop and have them "rate" them for you. That still doesn't tell you anything about how many cycles they have been through however. Id throw those in the trash and buy whatever springs my new cam required if it were me.

I am asking the question for two reasons. One, these might already be the springs I need. And two, I really don't want to buy a cam and recommended springs, have them arrive, and find they are the same spring I already have.

As already stated, take one off, go to a shop with a spring checker, measure seat load at your installed height, measure load over the nose of the cam you want to buy, compare that to the recommended springs for the cam. Then you can decide to keep'em or chuck'um.

Who's doing your heads?

I know a guy near detroit...

They sure look like.

Mopar #3412068 ............ 1.46" O.D. ....... .191" Coil Width
Mopar #3614542 ............ 1.45" O.D. ....... .185" Coil Width

Jburch,s advice is dead on. If they all have the same spring pressure at installed heighth they are good.True hot rodding using what you can get a deal on.

krazykuda Krazykuda, no one is doing the heads. They were done just before I bought the car in 1991 (had receipts) and I only put 5000 miles on the car since I bought it. The engine ran great before I pulled it (due to the car being rusted beyond repair), so I intend of doing nothing with the heads beyond having the checked for cracks and pressured checked. I always intended on selling it and only pulled it apart to make sure I was selling a sound unit. I am looking for a new machine shop guy though and would be happy if you'd PM me his name. My old guy never answers his phone.

69 Cuda 440, Mopar #3412068 is a good guess, but free length is too short and diameter too big. I suspect it is from an aftermarket manufacturer. Melling has an online chart showing all measurements including free length and a valve with identical measurement was make for use on a Ford 302 (and other Ford products). I am going to take JBurch's advice and visit an machine shop.

krazykuda Krazykuda, no one is doing the heads. They were done just before I bought the car in 1991 (had receipts) and I only put 5000 miles on the car since I bought it. The engine ran great before I pulled it (due to the car being rusted beyond repair), so I intend of doing nothing with the heads beyond having the checked for cracks and pressured checked. I always intended on selling it and only pulled it apart to make sure I was selling a sound unit. I am looking for a new machine shop guy though and would be happy if you'd PM me his name. My old guy never answers his phone.

69 Cuda 440, Mopar #3412068 is a good guess, but free length is too short and diameter too big. I suspect it is from an aftermarket manufacturer. Melling has an online chart showing all measurements including free length and a valve with identical measurement was make for use on a Ford 302 (and other Ford products). I am going to take JBurch's advice and visit an machine shop.

Evidently post number 3 never showed up.............

I agree DareDevil. I don't want to casually toss springs that may be good, useful and in fact, exactly the spring I would pick because on a budget I would have to scrimp on something that definitely needs replacing or could benefit be an upgrade.

Sorry replicaracer43 I did read your post, but honed in more on the theme of "toss them" and the word "stubborn", then the fact that you did suggest the machine shop visit before anyone else. I mentioned DareDevil because his philosophy (saving what is good and usable) was more in line with mine.

They sure look like.

Mopar #3412068 ............ 1.46" O.D. ....... .191" Coil Width
Mopar #3614542 ............ 1.45" O.D. ....... .185" Coil Width

??? Correct Me if wrong here Sir,
(dusts of old tired memory)...
I thought Your numbers listed above are 2 coil configs?
I.e, not a 'ribbon' internal dampener design ???

daredevil said:
Jburch,s advice is dead on. If they all have the same spring pressure at installed heighth they are good.True hot rodding using what you can get a deal on

Agreed !!!
Luckily,
Lots of cam mfgrs these days will sell their cams with 'no warranty'--- buy the cam,
all bets are off on return..., but then The mfgrs do list 'recommended' spring rates !!!
I love the aftermarket !!!

Or Possibly

Melling #466114

Height ......... 2.38"
O.D. ........... 1.43"
Coil Width .... 0.18"

Load Rate ..... 105 lbs. @ 1.75"
Load Rate .... 210 lbs. @ 1.20"

Or Possibly

Melling #466114

Height ......... 2.38"
O.D. ........... 1.43"
Coil Width .... 0.18"

Load Rate ..... 105 lbs. @ 1.75"
Load Rate .... 210 lbs. @ 1.20"

I saw that and also Melling 466444. One shows Chevy applications, the other Ford.

I am going to check valve to piston clearance, then pull the cam. Maybe I will see some casting marks. I suspect it is the stock cam.

springs are not rocket science, any performance head assembler with the heads and springs and cam specs and cam company info and proper measuring stuff can help you, pay 1/2 hour to see if the springs u have are good

P3412028 is a dual spring with a damper..good to lift up to .620
p3614542 is a dual spring with a damper.

Attachments

• P2806077_table.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 119
P3412028 is a dual spring with a damper..good to lift up to .620
p3614542 is a dual spring with a damper.

Yes, but.

You can utilize those 'above' Valve Springs w/Damper {less 'Inner' Valve Spring}
in a Mild-to-Medium Lift Camshaft.

Check the Load-Rate Pressure.

Isky does oversell their high end springs, on mild cams.. Ask me ,how I know....( Too much spring pressure,, my opine)

I would agree. They list a dual spring for the E-4 which is a mild solid cam for the 273 with a 216°/.425 spec.

I would agree. They list a dual spring for the E-4 which is a mild solid cam for the 273 with a 216°/.425 spec.

Yes TMM, they do...The Z-30 Chev grind ("280 " as advertised.., 254 @ .050/."480" lift) doesn't really need a dual spring, with a damper. (340-350 ish open, as I recall). Not really needed..

I just PM'ed you the number for a guy that can help you check the valves and any other machine work that you may need.

-
Back