A tale of two Dusters

-
I got my new tires today, Bridgestone potenza re050. All 4 for $220 out the door with new metal valve-stems.

I am running 255/40/17 on all four corners. Now I just need to decide if I am going to clearance the centers of the wheels or whittle down the hubs.. Decisions, decisions.

I also finished and re-painted the corner that I was working on. It is pretty straight but will need another blocking session when I re-paint everything. And it isn't rusting, which is the important thing.

Thanks again for looking!

I finally started my aerodynamics program. I figured the best way to improve the Aerodynamics is to find out where the stock ones are lacking. I don't have a wind tunnel, So I decided to do something different. after a couple of hours of prep work I got to start testing.

Here is a teaser shot:

128_1203.jpg

Interesting! So what will you use for an air source? Some of those light industrial fans move lots of air..

The viper brakes will make you swallow your chewing gum in a panic stop,lol!

It's good to see your moving along with the suspension upgrades. Good luck!

Interesting! So what will you use for an air source? Some of those light industrial fans move lots of air..

The viper brakes will make you swallow your chewing gum in a panic stop,lol!

It's good to see your moving along with the suspension upgrades. Good luck!

I am just driving it like that. Then using video equipment and photos to see it. I have done two days so far. The Dusters aero is actually pretty good! Also you can't BLOW air. It messes up the air currents. You have to suck it across the surface.

Yeah, That is Why I don't chew Gum! haha! The Viper brakes should haul the speeds down pretty quick.

Thanks! I'll have more soon!

I think you'll find a wide front spoiler and a ducktail spoiler like the old Mopar Performance ones they used to sell will help a lot. But that is not a air current issue, just lift and downforce for the front and rear.

The fastback body outline creates lift at higher speeds. So the rear end will get light.

Are you going to put some taped rope on the passenger window? I'd think there would be some turbulence from the drip rails. That's why they put a stainless cover on the Daytonas and Superbird from the side of the front glass molding over to the drip rail in front of the vent windows.

This looks seriously cool. I wonder if you would be willing to do other A body aero stuff? I think my 70 Dart would not be near as good as a duster owing to that sleek 1/2 fast back design.

I think you'll find a wide front spoiler and a ducktail spoiler like the old Mopar Performance ones they used to sell will help a lot. But that is not a air current issue, just lift and downforce for the front and rear.

The fastback body outline creates lift at higher speeds. So the rear end will get light.

Are you going to put some taped rope on the passenger window? I'd think there would be some turbulence from the drip rails. That's why they put a stainless cover on the Daytonas and Superbird from the side of the front glass molding over to the drip rail in front of the vent windows.

I am sure it will. I have been planning on a splitter style front spoiler, and an adjustable old NASCAR style So I can tune the front to rear downforce. I am also working on a bellypan, sideskirts, and a rear diffuser.

Their is actually a Lot of turbulence from the drip rails. But I am shaving them on the one. Do you happen to have a good picture of the cover?

This looks seriously cool. I wonder if you would be willing to do other A body aero stuff? I think my 70 Dart would not be near as good as a duster owing to that sleek 1/2 fast back design.

Thanks! It is a lot of work but I really like it. I would love to do other cars too!! But, I don't have anything else. So that might be kinda hard.

I finished turning down my hubs so the wheels will fit right. Broke a stud too.. Bugger! Now I need some more parts So I can finish the upgrades. School started today so I should have a little more spare time, And a Machine shop again!! It looks like I will have a good bit of Homework this semester so that may slow me down a bit. But I have CAD and a bunch of other stuff now too. I sold the shocks that are currently on my DD so now Is a good time to upgrade! Found some nice adjustables for a VERY nice price! I have almost all the stuff to re-do my rear suspension as well, I just want to swap out the rear-end at the same time, because when I swap in the 360/4-speed the 7 1/4" will be living on borrowed time.

Just to be clear, I am doing the suspension in two stages. One that is "Stock based" to show the potential of the stock design. Then when I get all the kinks worked out (on the computer) for the updated F&R suspensions I'll use my DD for a rolling test bed while I build my other one. then swap the first set-up back onto my DD and the updated stuff onto my radical/"nice" one. A little confusing, yes, But worth the extra work.

I think that is about it. Thanks again for looking!

Ok.. As you all know I wanted to update my front suspension to tubular UCA's. Well, here are the problems I ran into and the lessons I learned.

1- The straight arms contact with the supports for the front mount. This was the only clearance issue so I cut off a small section so it would clear through the full travel. See the orange tape in pic below.

100_1002.jpg

When I was done it looked like this.

100_1004.jpg

2- You have to run the cam bolts all the way out to prevent binding of the rod-ends. this is not a problem because there is plenty of adjustment range with the adjusters on the arms.

3- The spacers were actually the hardest part of the job. Mostly because I used washers (and a too-big nut) and had to hold all the pieces up while I ran the bolt through. I'll turn some new solid spacers soon which should make things MUCH easier. Note the cone washers on either side of the rod-end which allow for more mis-alignment without binding.

4- The only other issue was that due to my taller spindle and tall ball-joint the UCA now contacts the inside of my 17" wheels. It looks like I'll need about a 1/2" spacer to clear until I turn my new hubs. Anyone have long studs?

100_1006.jpg

I haven't had much time to work on the 13" 4-piston brakes or the rest of the suspension. But I have just about everything I'll need so it should be sometime soon. Although my engine is going downhill quick.. Clouds of oil every time I start it up and a small tick that won't go away.. Oh well. I was wanting more power anyway. 360/4-speed to come. Also I'll have more areo stuff soon too.

Well, I was wrong... I apparently won't have as much extra time as I thought I would since school started. I have been horrendously busy and have barely even had a chance to drive my duster let alone do anything to it.

In other news I got a new commuter car. It is a 87 VW Golf GTI. Great little car and I got it with a bunch of upgrades already done, so as of now, it can out handle my Duster. Something which I hope to remedy very shortly. On the bright side, I get double the mileage I was getting +5 mpg over that. So I am actually saving money with this new car.

As for my Duster, well, it is a good thing I got something else to commute in. As I mentioned before the engine is headed for the stage exit a lot faster than I would like. Also I have been having horrible, horrible overheating problems since the weather warmed up. In good news: I worked out a deal on a new fuel injection system, a replacement 318, and possibly a better rear-end with disc brakes, a limited slip, and better gears. Just a couple more things and I'll be ready to do a full Engine(another 318 or a 360 swap)/transmission(to a 4-speed overdrive)/suspension(front and rear)/ rear-end swap. Which is actually easier to do all at once.

That is about it for now but I hope to have more progress soon. Thanks again for following my progress!

Dang,sounds like you did the right thing switching over to the Golf. It really sucks when your a-b transport becomes unreliable.

Dang,sounds like you did the right thing switching over to the Golf. It really sucks when your a-b transport becomes unreliable.

Yeah. I decided I was better off getting something else to commute in and just save my Duster for fun! And When This next round of work is finished I should Have a hard time killing it. Well, besides running it into a tree or something. But the drivetrain should be pretty much bulletproof!

I love it when packages show up in the mail!!

Look what I got Wednesday!

128_1916.jpg

And look What was in it!!

128_1918.jpg

And in those were,

128_1920.jpg

Adjustable Spax Shocks!!! The are "28 stage adjustable" But I thought I heard they only have 14 clicks, So they might count compression and rebound as two different things. Then again, they might have 28 settings. Either way, they were a LOT cheaper than any other Adjustable shock I could find, and Spax makes really nice stuff, I haven't heard anything bad about their products. The only downside is I had to order them from Canada because I couldn't find a US Dealer.

I do have to get some bushings for the rear shocks, And I am thinking about going with Spherical ends. With everything else I'm doing ride quality won't be that much of a concern.

Anyway, Just a few more pieces and I'll be ready to do some serioud work!

Thanks again for following my progress!

Nice! Are adjustable shocks part of your suspension kit plan?

Nice! Are adjustable shocks part of your suspension kit plan?

If I can get someone to work with me on the pricing I could be more competitive. I haven't tried them out yet, But if they are as good as I have heard they will definitely be part of the package! As an option at the very least.

I got my new wheel studs in the mail today, Should be getting a Bunch more stuff this week. Still haven't figured out what to do about the engine exactly yet. or the rear-end.

Whats this about the engine? I thought it had 2 hamsters in a wheel..

I think I'm starting to like these boxes showing up. Look what was in the most recent one!

Parts-2.jpg

Only a couple more now!!! I can hardly wait! Now I just need to find or build an engine that will be able to keep up with everything else!

So, My plan for my Gold Duster was to be able to hang with corvettes on the road course. I had the corners figured out. No problems keeping up there. But how do you keep up on the straights with a tired 318? Simple! You don't! You put this on a different one!!!

128_2168.jpg

128_2167.jpg

I was going to go Naturally aspirated. But for the deal I got, I couldn't pass it up!

Yeeeeeeaaaaah! 6 PSI with the pulley that is on there now... though it depends on my crank pulley. And I think it will fit right where the ac compressor is. So I'll be "Changing out the compressor"! And I think I'll go with water and Methanol injection so I won't have to retard timing under boost or anything. Not sure though.

Is that a procharger unit?

No. It is a Powerdyne unit. They make their own superchargers as well as Ford Racing's Superchargers.

In other news, I think It will fit right where the AC compressor is now. Add the G-Reddy blow-off I have, and a little water injection and I'll be well on my way to serious power!

So Im assuming you got a killer deal on the centrifugal blower. Looks like the same idea as the procharger,with the gearbox and centrifugal type blower. Any idea what kind of psi it will make? And did those units come on anything factory?

-
Back