A teenagers "insert cool project name here"

-

gunship

Reaction score
I am slowly upgrading my duster a little at a time. My overall goal is to have the quickest car in the school parking lot. I bought it as a primer gray 73 duster...well mostly duster. heres the parts list:

318 magnum out of a 94 jeep grand cherokee (not stock)
tranny is out of the same
rear end is an 8 1/4 out of a 73 charger. 2.71 peg-leg (eventually 3.55 suregrip)
back seat is out of a barracuda 1964 I think
front buckets are out of a neon
Big bolt pattern on the back and little on the front. I have the stock wheels on the front and prostars on the back.

I have been through alot with this car in the short time I have owned it. The 3rd time I took it out the master cylinder decided it no longer wanted to work. exactly a week later I slid across 4 lanes of traffic, 2 oncoming and a median do to bad tires. After getting new tires no farther than 5 miles from the shop my rear passenger wheel ran away across 6 lanes of traffic, as did my brake drum. Everything was peachy for awhile then my alternator started shorting out and one night after leaving a local cruise in the water pump belt broke so I nursed it to advanced auto and fixed it in the parking lot at 11 PM at night. (btw crazy people come out at that time). Finally fixed everything until recently I lost 2nd gear, but on the bright side I have a fresh paint job.

Now that you know the whole story I will try to update this on occasion.
I am also on the look out for a sweet project name suggestions are welcomed.
and of course pictures from beginning (after new wheels and tires) to where it sits now I have more progress pictures I might post later

100_4808.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

DSC_3806.jpg

DSC_3802.jpg

DSC_3804.jpg

DSC_3803.jpg

Very nice I went through similar stuff with my first car 1970 challenger 340 pistol grip 4 speed and 3.23 posi. It was all good learned a lot with that car.

You are doing a very nice job keep up the great work.

How old are you.

Cool looking Duster:thumblef:
C

good looking car
i was in the same shoes as you 10 years ago when i graduated
i was probably the biggest wrench at my school
there were a lot of imports there to eat i was running a s10 with a 383 and some juice
had fun my out come was the same goal fastest car at school was primer till the last day of school
i drove to my graduation with it painted huger orange after being tied up at body shop
for a few weeks felt great 3 years i never got beat and i finished it before i got my papers i was happy.
good luck and keep pushing you will win over that car soon enuff and no more problems

Nice lookin car.....here's a tip though. Lose the traction bars. They actually hurt the Mopar suspension instead of help it. You need a pinion snubber if you want a traction aid.

I am 16

and I would love to lose the traction bars but right now they are just fixing crappy leaf springs, I know its not the right way, but its working for now.

That`s come up a treat, There`s nothing better than flogging your school mate with a quick mopar.

gonna be pulling an engine an tranny out of a 78 lebaron wagon. Any parts I should keep an eye out for, like did they ever come with sure grips?

with the screen name of "GUNSHIP" you really need my avitar. Hurlburt Field......Spec Ops. Best job I ever had. Or is it suppost to be a Pirate ship ????

if you get a chance, buy the superstock springs they are only 100 per side, and they are ALL a mopar need to hook. dont get caught up in the cal trac and slapper bar crap.

I know the vehicle segment of Murphys Law all too well, I seem to be attracted to vehicles that keep me wrenching on them, currently my ZJ is the one vying for attention. I'll tell you what though, you can own vehicles that never break and you generally realize later on you, years later, still have to clue about most of the vehicle. Ones like my Jeep, and the 81 civic station wagon I went to college in however didn't and don't have a single part on them that I don't know like the back of my hand. Also makes diagnostics pretty easy, you know whats new and good, whats on its way out, and what you skimped on because your broke and it needed fixed. The more you work on em the more endeared to them you seem to get lol

Love the paint :)

if you get a chance, buy the superstock springs they are only 100 per side, and they are ALL a mopar need to hook. dont get caught up in the cal trac and slapper bar crap.

Well good sticky tires really help:laughing:.....i've got SS springs in the back of the Fish and she still acts like its on ice when on dry pavement, the tires on the back are crap-tastic.

Next week I should be dropping the transmission for a rebuild, shift kit, and torque converter. While its out of commission for that I will be dropping in 3.55 gears and a clutch style sure-grip and possible carb upgrade. Once its back up I will drive it for about a week to get used to it then off to the track to check on the improvements.

Nice! What size tires are under there? Rim dimentions? Offset springs/relocated?

no spring relocation so they hang out a tad. I cant remember the back spacing I think its 4.5 inches, rim is 10x15. Its a 295/70R15 if I remember correctly.

update time!

I got the transmission rebuilt and shift kit installed. It hits 2nd hard and is a bit scary in the rain, but I am slowly learning to control and prevent it.

The next thing I did, which I had been planning for awhile, was to black out the grille, front wheels, and rear tail light trim.

Wheels:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tail lights:

Grill:

Overall:

I also blacked out my traction bars but that isn't quite as noticeable.

The Useless A/C pump has been on my list of things to eliminate for a long time. Finally, got the belts and pulled it that night. It weighs around 35 lbs so elimated useless weight and made it look much cleaner.

Before:

After:

Grabbed some valve Covers:

Thats all for now. Just ignore that huge mess of wires.

-
Back