a833 Purchase

-

adamm

Reaction score
OK, so before I decided to post I did search the forums and have read up what I was able to find on identifying an a833. I’m a transmission novice, so of course I’m going to have some questions even after a good read.

I found an a833 OD aluminum transmission for sale at the cost of $125. It’s an short shaft, 23 spline, 5.125 front bearing, 904 yoke. From what I have read, this will fit in my ’74 Dart just fine with a little work. I have a 451 build in progress, Strange S60 rear end with 4.10 gears, posi.

On the front pad there are some numbers which I couldn’t find any info on using google: 7B402 PP8335739

On the tail it looks like: C13386 1 LA I did find a reference to C-13386 on Brewers Performance, but that’s all. http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?cat=255

I have not seen the transmission in person yet as the guy is an hour away but he did send some pics which I have attached. I’m not worried about the driveshaft, as I’ll have to get one cut to size anyway. I will inspect the transmission prior to buying it, and have found some good documentation on that process.

Question: Is there anything wrong with this transmission for street application with my setup and is it worth $125?

Would it be accurate to say that this is a Chrysler product, coming out of an Aspen/Volare (F body)? Or is it aftermarket?

Any other thoughts/comments are welcomed!

Attachments

• image-458773137.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 421
  • image-613948151.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 463
  • image-3319470507.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 448
I would buy a 833 od A body trans all day long for 125.00, you had better run and grab it is a good price.

They are good, the aluminum ones can be Improved with a little tinkering. That one looks looks it came from a 77' model. 7 is year, B is location, last six serial numbers.

OK, so before I decided to post I did search the forums and have read up what I was able to find on identifying an a833. I’m a transmission novice, so of course I’m going to have some questions even after a good read.

!

That is not the way it's done around here. You are supposed to make your first post a dumb question.:newb:

As far as the tranny goes, that is an excellent price for a core. At that price my guess is that it is a core and may need rebuilt. The rust on the carrier shaft indicates it has been out for a while. You might want to ask about history of the tranny specifically about racing and towing.

Out of a 77 car. Aspen RR or something of that sort. $125!!!! What are you waiting for? I sold the last OD 833 I had for $350

That is not the way it's done around here. You are supposed to make your first post a dumb question.

I've seen enough people get beat up for not using the search option. Wanted to make sure I stay off that list! ; )

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Thanks for the input everyone. The guy actually has 3 of them it turns out. All in the same price range. I might have to pick up more than one!

It's a good price for what it is.

But I think with the 3.09 granny low gear and the gear spacing of the other gears, it might not be the best match for a 451 powered 4:10 Dana rear end car.

I think you might find yourself starting off in 2nd gear and skipping 1st!

It's a good price for what it is.

But I think with the 3.09 granny low gear and the gear spacing of the other gears, it might not be the best match for a 451 powered 4:10 Dana rear end car.

I think you might find yourself starting off in 2nd gear and skipping 1st!

I was wondering about that. Any recommendation on a better match?

Just a regular iron case 2.65 first gear 4 speed.

67-71 will be 2.65 first gear

72-74 will be 2.44 first gear (close ratio box)

I'd list you motor and chassis specs in the Drag Race or Big Block motor section of FABO to get a recomendation on if there was a prefered gearset for your combo.

-
Back