A855 - 5 Speed

-
Driving around with the boot off I can clearly hear what I felt in 4th.

When cruising in 4th, or in 4th with the clutch in, it feels like the stick is riding directly on a wobbling trans shaft.
It's worse when holding it in gear.

Not moving, in neutral, any rpm, no sound and no vibration felt.

In the video I'm holding it in every gear, just to compare. All the other gears feel fine.

At the 45 second mark in the video, you can clearly hear it, it's in 4th with the clutch in.

I think you got more problems than a gear not lapped in. Keep your receipt, but it sounds like you got the customer service part locked in.

Got a call the crate would be here on Friday, got it Thursday.

I asked about who/how they are constructed as my original crate seemed flimsy, the trans was completely lose, and it was able to and did move around.

Depending on where it's coming from, WY, GFI, or that other place in PA, the crate will be different.

I'll tell you this, mine didn't originally ship from GFI, and whomever put the trans in the crate and screwed the lid down was a giant bozo.

It wasn't well supported in the front or rear, the bottom and ends of the frame were smaller stock, the screws were an inch at best, and the trans could freely move side to side at all angles.

It appeared the block of wood on the left was intended to be behind the side cover and hold it still, but with nothing preventing it from moving to the right or back, it was useless.

I'll be making sure it's secure before putting the lid on, unlike the bozo before me.

I mean come on, shipping out an expensive trans and thinking a block of wood on one side, kind of, ought to keep it from moving to the other side, backwards, up, down - do I even have to point that out, damn!

I also noticed it has fluid on the bottom of it, but I didn't get time to take a closer look.

He said he'll pressure test it when done, and leave it pressurized for a while, to make sure there are no leaks or issues with the case.

I followed up last week with an email listing all my concerns, what we discusses, and videos, which he acknowledged was helpful.

Got the garage 'cleaned' up and will remove asap.

To clarify, my original lid had nothing screwed on the inside.

And I just noticed the new crate has a plywood bottom and both ends, and better handles, and it's not a piece of garbage.

20190908_200721.jpg

Last edited:
wow, all of you guys that have these should be getting a break for helping with development. would this or this help with the speedo?

It might, I'll give it a closer look.

If you ever need to change the speedo gear or pinion o-rings the only way is to drop the trans, so an access panel might still be needed, or wanted.

I got a call last week to verify I received the crate.

Started looking for a trans jack as I wasn't looking forward to doing pushups with this trans 2 more times.

Harbor freight had a $99 one, but it was too high, 7.5 inches at the lowest, the other one was higher and $169.
I almost bought the blue motorcycle jack, it was real low, those top rails just pull off, but couldn't justify it.

I got creative, bought dollies for $40, drilled a hole in one, took the pad off my jack and bolted it on. No, it doesn't wobble, even with the trans on it.

Bought the HF plastic ramps, no complaints, solid, better than the metal ones but not as high. Screwed some 2x6s together to give me more height, and a 2x4 to help keep the ramps in place.

I put a giant prybar on the fenders on top of 2x4s and rags, and ran a chain over it and bolted it to the rear of the heads.

Worked perfectly, trans slid right out.

Funny story, the person at HF wanted to argue over a coupon, they didn't scan the ramps, typed the wrong number in, I got them for $12.

Trans doesn't move at all in this crate.
It's on it's way.

20190913_154851.jpg

20190914_182103.jpg

20190915_184537.jpg

20190917_001509.jpg

20190916_160835.jpg

UPS dropped off, literally, the trans on 10/4.

All 3 shift studs went thru the crate, on one the threads are destroyed.

Obviously they went thru while the trans was at an angle, one hole is 2" down and 1" over from the stud, the other 2 stud holes are up an inch.

That side of the crate separated on the bottom.

The shifter mount punched a hole in the top.
There are 3 holes punched thru the right side, 1 looks like it came from the inside out, how I do not know, the other 2 not sure.

The front upper 2x4 split and the screws are sticking out the side.
Both bottom 2x4s are split, with the rear being pushed back and up.
The input shaft broke the 2x4 in front of it in half and the pieces were laying on the bottom.

That's all the interior 2x4s busted.

Without removing anything I tried to turn the input shaft and it wouldn't budge.

I called GFI and after a lengthy conversation he offered to send me another crate, pay to ship it back, and drive it to my house when completed.
I offered to fix the crate if he would send a new shipping label. I also offered to meet him somewhere in between to pick it up.

I sent him pics so they could file a claim, and he noticed the 'this side up' stickers had been removed.
This crate was constructed better than the first one, by far, yet had significantly more damage, and traveled a shorter distance.

Before I pulled it out to fix the crate I put on thick gloves and was able to spin the shaft. Not that I wasn't going to send it back, but I sent the video to GFI, he agreed it sounds screwed up again.

He thanked me for being extremely nice about this whole fiasco.
Stuff happens, it's how you react, and it helps a great deal when the other side is willing to do anything to rectify.

He also added they are developing a molded plastic crate, which is good, if you have warranty work done. I hope the two places the new trans ship from do the same.

Sent it off this past Saturday. I also strapped it down to the base of the crate.

The good news, I guess, however I get it back it will be personally delivered, and my warranty for repairs starts later.

20191003_140725.jpg

20191003_141930.jpg

20191003_135445.jpg

20191003_135703.jpg

Good god dude. I’m terribly sorry. I’m getting totally fed up with our mailing system. UPS, fedEx, US mail they all need to get their act together. UPS especially, I really don’t like UPS. I’d file a claim and make them pay for a whole new transmission and I wouldn’t stop until they paid up.

To clarify, in the video it may sound like I'm turning the shaft back and forth, but I'm turning it one direction.

As far as ups, or any other shipper, what's the company's expectation for the driver, is it to load/unload 475 lbs alone? And quickly I'm sure.

I mean, I loaded it in my wagon by myself, but I first put it on a creaper, then on my big wheeled hand cart, then one side on the tailgate, then shoved it in the back.
I'm no strongman, I can lift the trans, but the crate is too long to grab the handles.

They need one of those hydraulic carts.

What a shame. Hope this gets resolved quickly. It is really encouraging to hear how involved Garrett is. As far as shippers go, it is disappointing to know the service we get for the amount we pay. It seems like each of the three seem to be better or worse depending on area. Around here it seems UPS gets my vote for most messed up. one of many examples is, I recently ordered an item that weighed 70 lbs. When it was delivered I actually saw the driver flop it off the back of the truck. I called the shipper and they filed a claim. Then UPS gave them the runaround about inadequate packaging etc. and even tried to claim that some of the damage happened after delivery. Fortunately I had taken several photos. Then UPS said they should have shipped such a heavy, bulky item via some surface freight company as how could they expect a UPS driver to handle it properly by themselves . The shipper basically had to threaten to move all shipments to another carrier before they finally agreed to cover the damage. My thought is, why do they accept shipments if they don't have the resources in place to properly handle them?

Oh that’s just blind greed.
They also saddle there drivers with way to many package stops. A cousin worked for them in the offices typing. One day she is feel down with a headache and they approach her asking why she is t typing her normal amount. They didn’t by the excuse and road her for a while. They were monitoring her computer for how many words a minute she typed.

Now that’s messed up.

I was just thinking, eventually I'd like to update this thread with feedback on how the trans performs. As close to November as we are I'm not sure that will happen anytime soon.

The first or second time?
I'll look back at my emails and check on both times.

I'll also update what happened since I shipped it out.

I actually have the trans back now.
After much debate I decided to paint it and the shifter rods.
The aluminum case was starting to absorb grease/fluid in a few spots, as my car is a driver, and I figured it would be easier to keep clean and spot any leaks, whether from it or the engine.

My friend keeps telling me to paint it the Chrysler blue, same as engine. I was against it at first, but now I'm leaning towards it as I need it done today, I have the paint, and for some reason silvers and greys seem to always be harder to spray, keep clean, etc.

Rods show some rust, thinking black.

Shifter looks painted or coated, still looks brand new.

20191109_200934.jpg

He drove it directly to my house last week, 6hrs one way. So that was appreciated very much.

I painted it the same as the engine, and I actually like it very much. I noticed a few tiny spots were grease or oil were leaching thru the primer, so I sanded and degreased again. I highly recommend painting right away.

It's back in but not running yet, darn cold.

A few notes.
I massaged the floor with a standard hammer to clear the speedo cable, fits nicely now. They suggest you screw it on prior to install, but you cannot until the trans is fully seated into the bell as it would interfere with the crossmember and prevent installation.
The upper left trans to bell bolt is impossible to get to once the tranny mount is installed, trans too high. I forgot to tighten that one, this time, but a po had cut an access hole in the floor so it is easily accessible from inside.
My homemade trans jack worked like a charm. I put a full size towel over it to prevent scratches. It lifted it up at the perfect angle and with the help of a small ratchet strap from the sway bar to the trans it slid right in without issues.

I'll be finishing and driving on the next decent day.

First round of damage:
The issue with your 4th gear was spotted immediately but the cause took a while to figure out. Our input shafts have 48 synchronizer teeth and at the back of the tooth is a lip to stop the 3-4 slider from over shifting off the back of the inputs synchro teeth. 36 of your 48 teeth had that lip sheared clean off and another was almost cracked all the way through. Obviously you have a new input shaft in your transmission but we had it apart for a few days doing extensive inspection to find out what caused the teeth to come off. After finding zero cause for this to happen inside the transmission I have to assume it was most likely dropped on end during shipping and the slider hit those teeth with such force it snapped them off.

Second round, the repairs were explained to me, iirc, the sliders were replaced, the 1/2 and 3/4 springs were upgraded, and based on that I should notice a better shift quality from before. A few other things were replaced, again, which I do not recall at the moment.

The symptoms I noticed were described in an earlier post.
The list of the symptoms of damage when tested were as follows:
The 1-2 shift quality was very poor, you couldn't really feel it click into gear. 4th gear had a bad vibration, and 5th gear was almost impossible to shift into and when it would finally engage it would snap in violently and about throw me on the floor from how hard I had to lean on the shifter. This morning I got it torn apart and rebuilt and I am happy to report the 1-2 shift feels much better, 5th gear shifts nicely now and the transmission is dead steady when testing it for vibration. It will be on the pressure test bench overnight and will be ready to go again after I clean it in the morning.

20191110_123234.jpg

Email sent today to GFI.
They have been fantastic, but the exact same issue remains, need a more drastic solution.

Here is the short version:

I just finished getting the trans in and everything bolted up.

Took it for a test drive, popped out of 4th.
Popped out a second time but much more violently.

Same as when I first received the trans, stayed in 4th sometimes, other times I could see the shifter moving and watch it pop out.
Held it in gear for a while, no change.

It seems certain spots in 4th it will stay, the other 50% of the time it pops out no matter what.
Even when it stays I can push the clutch in, put it back in 4th, pops out.

It's freezing cold here and the forecast is not looking any better. I need to he able to move this car around over the winter, plus I can't have it up on stands blown apart taking up space.

I've spent money on the trans, shipping twice, paint, and more importantly a new 18 spline clutch with pressure plate and new flywheel.

I can't just swap my 4 speed back, and I have no desire to do so.

I see only one option- a brand new trans with all the fancy springs and whatever else, delivered to my door.

Just read thru this thread and Good Times...Working on vehicles is such fun sometimes.

I had entertained the idea of getting one of these 5-speeds but you pretty much killed that for me. Hope that they make it right for you and your actually able to drive the fkn thing someday. Hell they oughta Give you back at least a G for all the BS you've been thru....Good Luck!

E Body pal of mine has A855-5. Returned twice for issues, once jumping out of first on decelerations. Trans came through crate in transit on one occasion.
Has 12k miles on it - in a truck shipped back and forth across the Country.

How long will it take to put 500 miles of light in town driving for break in. Wow. Replaced my TKO 5 Keisler Tremec due to leaks and 2-3 high rpm shift issues. I gave it away. Got an SST TKO 5. Taller top gear too. Put it in and drive it. Over 5k miles now. Got it quick. Perfect.

I sent that email on a Sunday, he replied next day and agreed.
Just got a follow up today, new trans built, every piece checked and re-checked, tested and tested again. Going thru it again and more testing. Will keep me posted.

It's clear to everyone involved that whether or not the trans was damaged the first time I received it, it was damaged the second time, and more importantly that both times there was an issue with 4th unrelated to any possible shipping damage.

If it wasn't for the excellent service, and GFI taking ownership of every issue, I would be in a different place right now, in every sense, mentally, anger level, trans, etc.

I had an issue with my TTI headers last year, and didn't want to r&r them, box, ship, wait, to take advantage of their warranty.
I just wanted to express my disappointment.
They sent me new headers, fasteners and gaskets. I didn't even come close to requesting anything.

So, yes, this sucks so bad, I hate every moment, and I'm missing out on not only driving it, but moving on to other improvements.

But dag nammit, I'm so grateful that there are people, and companies, that stand behind their product, go above and beyond, take ownership, and still exist.

At least I'll end up with a new trans, and a new warranty.

Trying to stay positive, and we just got 2 feet of snow so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

As far as break in miles, I put 350 on it in a short time, and didn't drive it much due to my frustration.

-
Back