A904 transmission

-

Terry Dingwell

Reaction score
Hello all. Just recently replaced the original tranny pan on my A904 with a Dorman deep pan. Fluid quantities for the stock pan is 5 litres. Anyone know what the quantities would be for the deeper Dorman pan? Thanks!

I think the Dorman pan is an extra quart. I would put in the recommended amount as per the service manual and add until it is properly full on the dipstick. DON'T mark it like suggested above. Full is full with the proper dipstick and tube regardless how deep the pan is.

I presume pan came with spacer to drop the filter/pick-up?

I presume pan came with spacer to drop the filter/pick-up?
Some do and some are just the pan. Mopar Performance has a "Kit" for a Jeep that also works on a 904. It comes with a deep pan with drain plug, filter and extension, and a pan gasket. Even the bolts.

Think of it this way, A filter extension isn't really necessary. The fill level is the same regardless of which pan you are using. A deep pan just holds more but it doesn't change where "full" is in the dipstick.

Pan Kit P4007886AC | Mopar Online Parts

Mopar Performance transmission pan kit.png

Last edited:
Does anyone make a plain steel pan like that for the 727?
I'm sure someone does. Look up under alter model pick up's that had a 727 overdrive. I don't know the number off hand.

I think the Dorman pan is an extra quart. I would put in the recommended amount as per the service manual and add until it is properly full on the dipstick. DON'T mark it like suggested above. Full is full with the proper dipstick and tube regardless how deep the pan is.

Exactly

A filter extension isn't really necessary.
If you don't have the extension to move the intake to the bottom of the pan then the deep pan is useless as the extra quart can't be picked up and moved into the system. You might as well not have changes from the stock shallow pan.

Make sure your extension has the proper hole/holes in it. If you have a rear pump it will need a two hole extension. I know a 64 904 has a rear pump and should have two pickup holes in the extension

The problem with the deep pan and no extension is on hard acceleration and on aggressive stops the fluid has twice as much room to move forward and back and it will cavitate the filter, not a good thing on the throttle!!!
Lon

OK, I'll go as far as to say you should NEVER use a deep pan without the requisite pickup/filter extension.

Some do and some are just the pan. Mopar Performance has a "Kit" for a Jeep that also works on a 904. It comes with a deep pan with drain plug, filter and extension, and a pan gasket. Even the bolts.

Think of it this way, A filter extension isn't really necessary. The fill level is the same regardless of which pan you are using. A deep pan just holds more but it doesn't change where "full" is in the dipstick.

Pan Kit P4007886AC | Mopar Online Parts

View attachment 1716247110
Looks like that is no longer available. Just tried to order two of them, from several places. I was able to place an order from the site that was linked (only site that didn't say not available) but they said backordered and late June estimated delivery. We shall see.

Just fill it till it reads full on the dipstick. Was this a trick question?

I put the suggested amount in , check it and mark the dipstick
I have 9 litres in there now and it’s still not showing full on the dipstick. Seems like a lot of fluid to me, that’s almost double. I guess I’ll have to add until the dipstick shows full, the stick shouldn’t lie.

-
Back