A999 tranny same as 904?

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
I have a 66 cuda that i am going to be converting to a 360 car. Its a slant six car right now with a 904 tranny. I have picked up an A999 out of a 70s model car to replace the 904 with. Is it going to be a drop in and bolt up or will i have problems with linkage. Also, i have the slant 6 kickdown will that work for a v8? thanks.

Externally the 999 is the same as the 904 - linkages, speedo, mount, etc... The /6 kickdown linkage wont work with the v8. Make sure the converter has the balance weight for the 360.

The A-999 is a great transmission. The differences from a standard 904 are as follows..... 5 disc direct drum, 4 disc forward drum, 4 pinion planetaries instead of 3, and a lower 1st gearset. Some will argue that the 999 also came with a 4 disc direct drum, but they did not. If it has a 4 disc direct drum it is an a-998. All exterior dimensions are the same and all linkages will interchange.

What year? is the A999 from, and do they come with a lock up convertor? if so can you just swap in a none lock up? I like the idea off the lower first gear set.

What year? is the A999 from, and do they come with a lock up convertor? if so can you just swap in a none lock up? I like the idea off the lower first gear set.

The 999 came both ways. Non lockup and lockup.

the answer to your question is no...

you can not sway out a non lock up converter for the lock up converter...splines are different.

The various Torqueflites had the same internal ratios, despite their other differences. Until 1980, they were relatively narrow (see Tom Hand's detailed article); in and after 1980, a wide-ratio gearset was introduced and used in most of the 998 and 999 transmissions. This ratio was 2.54 in first, 1.54 in second, and (as with the earlier Torqueflites) 1.00 in third. This gearset, which uses a welded-steel planet cage, is noisier and less durable than the original-ratio gearset with its machined-aluminum planet cage, but the lower first and second gears helped cope with the tall rear axle ratios needed for gas mileage.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html

i thought eveyone says the steel planetaries are stronger then the aluminum ones....

Been trying to figure out the ins and outs of the 999 transmissions for myself. Apparently the 999 was originally behind vehicles with a 360, the 998 was behind 318 equipped cars. First years for these transmissions was approx. 1974 or so. The signifying feature of these trannies is the 4 and 5 clutch drums. Regular service 904s from the same era generally had 3 clutch drums.

In 1978 some/most of the units got the lockup feature. In the 1980s they pretty much all got the lockup feature. The input shaft and pump on the lockup units are different than the non lockup ones and there's not a lot of interchange without careful choosing of parts.

To my knowledge, the low gear set was introduced in the 80's but it's my understanding that the low gear set could only be found in lock up transmissions. I could be wrong on this though.

Best unit to have is a non lockup one from the mid '70's from a 360 equipped car. Get a low gear set, slap it in there and you're ready to rock. I got one from TFlite Patty on Ebay for around $100.

BTW, the Mopar chassis manual says the 999 is the quickest trans to use.

rmchrgr is 100% correct with everything in his post.

Add your 5 disc high gear drum and low gear set and call it an 999.

rmchrgr is correct .. you'll find a factory low-gear set in a 998 or 999 lockup unit. (we offer the low gear sets at a reasonable price if you can't find an original lockup unit).

They are quick too .. NHRA compeition eliminator cars wouldn't use a version of the 904 if they weren't.

Don't forget to add your low band apply trans-brake valve body, and the mods that come with it. 8)

Found this posting from 2010:

A999 tranny same as 904?​

Packed full of great information, as I am looking up information on the Chrysler A999 transmission.

(talk about bringing an old thread back up to the top again, the internet never forgets)

Thanks all that have posted this from years gone by.
@RustyRatRod and others.

Screenshot_20230228-083010_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Unless you're building a strip or street/strip car why wouldn't you want to keep the lockup converter for better MPG?

I have seen two low-gear numbers bandied about, namely 2.54 and 2.74. I don't know which is correct.
But I do know that;
From 2.45 to 2.54 is an increase of ~3.7%..... which also just happens to be ~3.7% of a typical gear-swap in the 3.55 and lower sizes.... IMO, for a 360, not worth the time to swap it in, even if you have it.
and
From 2.45 to 2.74 is an increase of ~7.9% which is closer to ~7.9% of a sub 3.55 gear swap, and about double the gain of an advertised 2.54. It makes a 2.76 rear feel like a 2.98 ...... in first gear.
I have done this swap to both a slanty and a low-compression 318, and by the feel of it, I think the low gears in these transmissions are actually closer to the 2.74 ratio; which is what I was expecting and the reason for the swap..
For an engine, cranking 240 ftlbs@2000rpm, at the start-line;
the 2.54 is worth about 9ftlbs from the crank; whereas
the 2.74 is worth double that.
9ftlbs at 2000rpm is 3.4hp; for a 360, are you gonna feel that?
19ftlbs at 2000 is 7.2hp; That's something I can feel.

Like I said, IDK which number is gospel;
but I'm leaning hard towards the 2.74.

For me, having gone thru this, if it wasn't for the LU feature, I wouldn't bother hunting for a 2.54 low-gear. But I would hunt for a 2.74/LU.
That LU feature is worth;
1) ~3>5%less rpm at cruising speed. At 2600rpm this comes to 80>130 rpm. See note-1
2) ~4>5% fuel economy. for a car making 18mpg, this translates to about 1mpg.

note-1
Do not trust your tach . I have had cars that cruised at UNDER the calculated rpm. So when I tested the cruise rpm gain from cruising to accelerating, the tach would jump 400 to even 500 rpm! But the calculated slip was just 200rpm on the flash .
What I mean is this;
A very long time ago, I had an all-stock 71 Monaco, with 360 lo-stall/ 2.94s, that, by the math should have cruised at 65=2380rpm. On the tach, it showed ~2200rpm. When I stomped it, the Rpm flashed to ~2600. So you might conclude that the convertor was slipping, 400rpm. When in fact, from the calculated cruise rpm, while cruising, it was only slipping 180rpm but in the reverse direction! ; Not slipping but gaining!
How this is possible IDK, but after that, I watched for it with other combos, and often saw it.
So like I said, don't trust your tach. It may not be lying, but sometimes, you just gotta think about stuff. I run a manual trans now, so I don't think much about these kinds of things anymore.

But I just gotta say something;
If your 66 is a streeter, running street tires, inside the factory tubs; I sure wouldn't waste my time hunting for any non A904. But if one just fell into my lap, well ok then..... lol.

Hey guys. I just found an non lock up A999 for sale and I'm digging for info about the OD benefits. I am currently running a 904 behind a warmed over 360 Magnum with 3.55 gears in a Bbody. I also have a 46RH/A518 than needs rebuild but I don't like the extra weight and fitment mods. What can I expect for RPM drop in OD? Thanks.

Edit: I should also add the small choice of converters for the 46RH. I believe I can use an y 904 converter with the nlu A999 as long as the weighting is correct. The A999 I am looking at is an early unit that has the higher gear set.

Last edited:
you're not going to find any info about OD benefits for a 999 because they are not an OD transmission.

though some 999's came with a lock up converter, it's hardly another gear.

you're not going to find any info about OD benefits for a 999 because they are not an OD transmission.

though some 999's came with a lock up converter, it's hardly another gear.

Thanks. Did more digging. Looks like a beefy 904 so no gain for me over my current 904. I guess I am back to the A518/46RH .......
unless I can find a A500/42RH.

Sorry for the hijack.

find a 89-91 518 that has 2 pins in the connector. it is not lockup. my 91 truck, 318 tbi had 1. then you can use reg 727 style non lockup conv.

-
Back