absolutely, no questions asked...

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
that's what I told him

got a text from a friend of mine asking if he could borrow the duster
he's one of those "in between" friends, you know the kind
his parents are a little older then I am, hes quite a bit younger then me, but older then my kids are

still, hes a good friend of me
so when he asked me to borrow a car, over twice his age (he's 18) with over 400 HP...I thought to myself...what could possibly go wrong?

you old grumpers

let them live a little

(this is also the kid who came with me the first time I went to the drag strip, I asked him if he wanted to make a pass there, but he said he didn't know the car well enough)

18 ? Borrow my Duster BAH ha ha ha Bah ha ha ha, Stop it your killing me, Baaaaah ha ha ha ha. I would give the kid one thing, he's got BIG BALLS!

wouldn't be the first time I let him drive it

him and his older brother (ex marine) called me a while ago to let me know there was a large muscle car gathering going on downtown and asked me if I wanted to go
I was just on my way back from the lake with my family and a few loaner kids, so I had no time to take the duster out
I told them to swing by the house and pick it up and let them take it

damn boss - I thought I was easy going and trusting... maybe my truck and maaaaybe (though probably not) my Harley - the Scamp? sorry Charlie, off limits. Of course, it IS a wolf in sheep's clothing... so it's not something one simply jumps into and "drives"...

HELL to the NO. unless they are prepared to pay for a complete and total loss of said vehicle AND reimburse me for the 100's and 100's of my man hours they can kick rocks

HELL to the NO. unless they are prepared to pay for a complete and total loss of said vehicle AND reimburse me for the 100's and 100's of my man hours they can kick rocks
never , ever, loan a car to someone !

reminds me of a classic commercial that I cant seem to find...it was a mother that had to borrow her sons car for something..the car was a tricked out Duster with a huge stall convertor and a cammed big block(?) , jacked up rear end with big Mickey Thompsons out back and runners up front. Going down the road slowly, it kept leaping forward almost pulling the front tires. Funny stuff. And I would say "No, too much of a liability on me..." although I borrowed my buddies 70 351C-4V Mustang all the time, and he practically slept in my 57 Ford for a few weeks. Both cars shared a few parts between 4V Clevelands.....

hey all, its just a car!!! ha.... I would have to wonder what is the liability involved loaning a car to non family live in relatives?
if I had a close f riend I had complete trust in, and could afford a lose of car or damage, then I "might consider it". I can think of only a few I have known over the years I would loan a good classic car to! ha ( there were pro body men and mechanics rolled into 1 guy I knew that I would loan to! good friends that could fix their "Mess Ups!" ha !)...

"Liability" puts the onus on your insurance company, not you. Just an EZ cop-out for a mushy question. "Hey, can I borrow your Glock? I gotta take care of some business....." Uh, no. Hahahaha!

I'm pretty sure that would be a big H3LL NO! If/when I ever get my car done, no power slanty and all. Not saying nobody else will drive it, but I don't know that it will ever leave the driveway without me in it.

My little sister asked me years ago to borrow one of my cars "just for the weekend". I loaned her my 1984 Turbo T-bird Official Car of the US Grand Prix. Well, on the following Wednesday (past the weekend she borrowed it for) she called to tell me my car was totaled by her husband in a head-on collision with a drunk driver at 3:00 PM on Tuesday. She said that her husband and stepson were badly hurt and were recovering. She also said "your car was towed to a salvage yard and they charge $175 per day storage if you want to get it back". I said, why didn't you have it towed to your house where it could sit for free? Why didn't you have it towed back to me (two hours away)? She said that she didn't care about my stupid car because her husband was very hurt, so she just let the police tow it away. It was all my problem now, she said. Well I made arrangements to tow it back to me and I found that the salvage yard already started stripping it! They cut out the radio, speakers, seats, etc... Before this, the car had a new engine in it (20,000 miles previously) and the interior was primo (this was in the mid 1990s).

Well I had a local body shop come look at it in my yard and he gave me a price of $800 to fix the bent front frame rails (not including parts) and another $400 for misc. work to include refitting the front end and front fenders. They even included round trip free towing. So I took him up on it and found another 1984 T-bird in the junk yard that I could get everything but the windshield from for only $300. They even cut off the frame rails for me. So for $1,700 I got back a car with fitted (but not installed) front end. I put it all back together and repainted it, had a new windshield installed for $120. The insurance gave me $2,500 so I made a few bucks for my troubles (though it was more trouble than I bargained for!).

Well I drove it for another two years and then gave it to my little brother for free when I got a Grand National. He drove it for another two years before it broke another piston ring. It's been yard art at his house for about 18 years now.

I don't maintain contact with either of them any more because they both are just moochers.

Bottom line is don't lend your cars even to family members unless you are willing to take on some drama and anxiety.

I loaned my old electric chainsaw to my neighbor, he comes back 2 days later and gives me a brand new one in the box. He said the chain broke when he was using it. I took the box and promptly handed it back to him telling him to keep it, its yours now..but I get to borrow it if I need it. We were both happy. I let MY sister borrow my truck to move and I got it back with new brake pads! She said they were making a noise so I replaced them....wow!

I have no sisters, brothers, all cousins live 1000 mi away, all aunts and uncles have died off..... maybe a good thing!? ha

neighbor wanted to "buy" my stiock trailer couple years ago. it was May , said he could pay for it in Sept. O K.....fine...... he takes it home, I see it there. he has it. no problem. sept comes, he brings it back, he had some expenses a rise and could not afford it. O K . then last year he needed to "borrow one of my OLD cars". O K??????? I bout fell off my *** laughing!!!!!!!!!!! ha

funniest part about this is, I told him I do need it back by Monday because I lend out my winterbeater to a lady from church last week
(my pastor had called me to say their neon was broken down a few blocks from my house and if I could go give them a hand. when I could not get it going I towed them home and let them borrow the charger until they figured the neon out)
the kid whos borrowing the duster did say he would have it back this evening so ill keep you guys posted

I loaned my old electric chainsaw to my neighbor, he comes back 2 days later and gives me a brand new one in the box. He said the chain broke when he was using it. I took the box and promptly handed it back to him telling him to keep it, its yours now..but I get to borrow it if I need it. We were both happy. I let MY sister borrow my truck to move and I got it back with new brake pads! She said they were making a noise so I replaced them....wow!

that sounds right, I think I would be able to put a new chain on if I broke it, but if not, you getting a new one

that sounds right, I think I would be able to put a new chain on if I broke it, but if not, you getting a new one
x2, I rarely borrow stuff, but when I do I try to return it cleaner, sharper ...but most people don't seem to think that way.

x2, I rarely borrow stuff, but when I do I try to return it cleaner, sharper ...but most people don't seem to think that way.

and because most people don't seem to think that way anymore, I have a policy in place with certain people
if they ask me to borrow a certain tool (lets say a skill saw) I will run over to the Walmart and buy the cheapest on they have and GIVE it too them, because I have learned that in the end, that is cheaper than letting them borrow my good tools

MRW I'm on mobile and I go to hit gallery profile and I hit logout instead - Imgur.gif

Had a guy I worked with who borrowed his father in laws to real nice Bombardier Jet skis and blew the engine up! I asked if he was going to have it fixed, he said Hell no! It would have blown up on my father in law anyway! I told him to remind me not to loan him so much as a anvil in the future! I will not loan any thing out to but a very few, maybe 3 friends of mind that I know will respect my stuff and repair or replace it if they break it! Period!

and because most people don't seem to think that way anymore, I have a policy in place with certain people
if they ask me to borrow a certain tool (lets say a skill saw) I will run over to the Walmart and buy the cheapest on they have and GIVE it too them, because I have learned that in the end, that is cheaper than letting them borrow my good tools

NO, you can say NO, that is the cheapest way out!

a "family" lives down the road. each and every one muches off anyone. they borrowed my second truck once, hauling scrape, get it back with t ailgate screwed.they needed a dist for their old mopar something, I let them have one, later they hauled the vechicle to the scraper with my dist., they borrowed an OLD floorjack, get it back doesn't work anymore, and don't bother to tell me it broke, the son calls up neighbors old 90 yr old mother, asks her if she would bake them a pecan pie, it is thanksgiving. ha
I cussed them out 3 yrs ago and hadn't seen them again till week ago, dad waned to borrow some 1/2 drive sockets...... he got cussed out again.....

-
Back