Ac not turning off

-

josekh7

Reaction score
Hi guys so a few days ago i pressed the off button on my ac panel a bit too hard and the button went all the way in now it seems that when iIm on the highway the vents blow air and at that hot air what can I do.

I don't understand. You say "AC won't turn off", but then mention "hot air".
If the AC compressor is staying on, unplug it. Should be a connector near the electric clutch.
Sounds like you have the 5-button pnuemo-electric climate switch. Those often suffer melt-down, but you can still buy new (~$100 ebay), or there is a post showing how to rebuild one. Install a relay to handle the "blower high" position or the new switch will also eventually fail.
Oh yeah, we have no idea what car you are talking about. If a GM or Ford, forget all above.

Hi guys so a few days ago i pressed the off button on my ac panel a bit too hard and the button went all the way in now it seems that when iIm on the highway the vents blow air and at that hot air what can I do.

As has been mention MANY times, it is difficult for members to help you if we have no idea of exactly what is going on and or what car/engine you have. I BELIEVE you mean that the fan was continuing to run with hot air coming out of the vents. Is the AC compressor (clutch) turning? Is the lever that controls the temperature still working?

sorry its a 1970 dart. i feel that the faster i drive, the more air is being blown through the vents

It sounds like the push button switch gave out. The back of the switch is held on by melted plastic nubs. As the plastic ages it becomes brittle. If the button went in farther than normal the back of the switch assembly probably popped off on one side. If it was working good before, you could pull it and try to repair it. New ones are on E-bay. I got one for less than $60.00. Pull it and see what's going on.

sorry its a 1970 dart. i feel that the faster i drive, the more air is being blown through the vents
I think not possible because these cars don't have a fresh air connection to the "climate box", at least not thru my former 1969 Dart. To get fresh air, you open the lever doors above the driver's left foot or passenger's right foot. If it has been sitting a while, be ready for rotten leaves, dead rodents, ... Those connect to the "cowl" which is the enclosure below the outside slotted vents.

Well-advised to remove fresh air boxes and clean/refurb. While in there, I reached up thru the whole w/ a vacuum, scraper, etc and cleaned the cowl, also from the engine bay cowl vents, rust converter, & painted. When the cowl floor rust out it is bad news, and that is common from wet leaves sitting.

BillG. thats why i feel like its he blower staying on because i pressed the off button to hard and it went all the way in

The switch controls vacuum as well as 12v power. if you take one apart its an amazing piece of ingenuity how it works.

so what should i do? should i replace it?

First thing, try to troubleshoot it. You'll feel bad if you go to the trouble of finding one, replacing it, and finding out it's a hose off, broken hose, etc

Go over to MyMopar and download a free service manual, then read through the AC section which is way in the back of the book

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

70 Dart/ Charger

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1970_Challenger_Dart_Service Manual.zip

70 Plymouth

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1970_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

Go to page 24-2, which is the AC / heat section, and back up to 24-1 That refers you to the AC section which is page 24-7. THAT page shows Dart is on page 24-34 (868) From there, they show you how the control works and the vacuum and positions of the servos

Got it, i think i have trouble-shooted it that its not the vacuum or heater hose its really weird problem where i feel that when i pressed the (off) button i must of damaged something and now the blower or some vacuum is not being completely turned because of that button. Which leaves a vent open or something( symptoms air that is blown through the vents is relative to the cars speed on when the ac unit is in the off position)

"Off" doesn't give OFF if your plastic climate switch is melted so metal contacts touch when they shouldn't. Be glad you have the 5-button switch. My 65 Newport w/ non-AC has a 4-button switch, with was "Not Avail" even 20 yrs ago, so had to rig a 5-button switch to work.

Bill i think you might be on the money how would i even begin to check if that happened?

... how would i even begin to check if that happened?
Manuals linked above w/ a multimeter.
Don't have a DMM? Free w/ coupon at Harbor Freight.
Don't know how to use one or basic electricity? - free at wikipedia and youtube.
Don't want to learn? - purty girl to motivate you, hungry kids whining for food follow

-
Back