Add A Leaf?

-

basement

Reaction score
Any one try this option on the rear end? Where did you buy the leaf and were there any unexpected issues?

i added supper stock springs to my dart and there was a noticeable difference from stock. the difference is 1 extra leaf so i guess it would be the same idea that you're talking about. it's supposed to be a 3 inch increase in height above stock. also keep in mind that if your springs are already "sprung" or worn out as mine were, you probably won't see that much of a difference. check my post from today titled "got the dart back" or do a search for my posts, you'll see photos in there from before and after. the car really did sag in the back and now it's a lot higher and the ride is a lot better too, a lot stiffer and not a lot of sway anymore. i would recommend just getting new springs, not just adding a leaf. search ebay for them, i got them from mcveighs truck springs (or something like that, their in ohio) and was really pleased with them. Hope this helps....

I took mine to a spring shop had the arch checked because you can have them rearched and had them add a leaf cost me around 90bucks alot cheaper then buying new if you have a spring shop in your area check the phone book I used power brake and spring in my area

Many moon ago I got a set of half leafs from J.C. Whitney Co. and Installed the, on top the rearward end of the leafs. These were meant to be adjustable so the (4) U bolts were extremely long and everything was to be double nutted. Instead I drwaed them all the way down tight with one nut per, burned off the excess threaded ends , then mushroomed the end with a shop hammer while cherry red. Nothing was gonna come loose, be seen, or bite me on the head in the future. Rear heigth went up almost 3 inches. A little higher than OEM. Re adjusted the front ride heigth at torsion bars, realigned front end. All good from there. Drove that car 9 years , forgot all about the 1/2 leafs being under there. Only one person ever mentioned noticing them.
If I didn't have a good set of stock 6 leaf springs here to put under my red car I'd do the same 1/2 leaf install again.

An extra leaf was added to mine, way back in it's early days, by the original owner. The leaf came out of a 1/2 ton, mid '60s pick-up (the make will remain silent). It lifted the rear in my estimation about 1 1/2 to 2". The ride is stiffer is really all I can say about it.

I have them on my 4x4 ram, but never tryed them on a car. They netted me about 1.5" of lift in the rear of my truck & stiffened up the ride a little.

Three cars I've owned had extra leaves added. Someone had added 1 to a 68 Road Runner. Seeing that it matched exactly one of the others I concluded it came from another b body.
So I have done it to 2 of my a bodies, I just pulled a set off a parts car and tried the different lengths and used the one I liked best. I put about 30000 miles on a Swinger after that, and I have around 15000 miles the Road Runner.
I added one on my current Duster 2 years ago.about 6,000 or more on that one so far. I'm completly satisfied with the results, and the ride only stiffened slightly.
!!!My one comment is I have also added swaybars to the front. with a stiffer rear spring the roll characteristic will change and cornering might feel a bit squirelly.!!!

-
Back