Addco sway bar install - 68 dart

-

Sdriche

Reaction score
I consider myself a smart guy but this sway bar install has me stumped. Anyone install an Addco on a k frame with the lip? Only way I can see this working is if I use the angle for the bottom and leave the top ‘floating’ meaning it’s not bolted to the car anywhere. Does this sound right ?

Last edited:
I learned my lesson a long time ago about ADDCO bars…buy something better! Now I choose Firm Feel or Hellwig. An hour or so to install a sway bar because the hardware is quality and made for the application.

Yes, that is exactly how it is designed to be attached. From experience, I can tell you that the angle bracket is not robust enough. It will flex, and it will flex the lip. There is just too much off-center leverage on the bracket.

What I did was cut my own angle brackets out of 1/4" steel angle — two sets, so there was one on top and one on the bottom, on both sides. Note that because the lip is at an angle to the bar, these brackets have to be wider than you might think, and the holes for mounting the bar have to be offset in the brackets so that they are vertically aligned when mounted. I wound up trimming the excess corners off my angle brackets, for neatness, and to clear the lower radiator hose.

By clamping the lip between the heavy brackets, it eliminated the flex.

If you are interested I have a template for cutting the brackets.

That’s perfect. I was thinking the same thing about the angle on top (how easy and cheap would it be to include 2 extra brackets ,,,anyway thank you. You confirmed my guess.

Yes, that is exactly how it is designed to be attached. From experience, I can tell you that the angle bracket is not robust enough. It will flex, and it will flex the lip. There is just too much off-center leverage on the bracket.

What I did was cut my own angle brackets out of 1/4" steel angle — two sets, so there was one on top and one on the bottom, on both sides. Note that because the lip is at an angle to the bar, these brackets have to be wider than you might think, and the holes for mounting the bar have to be offset in the brackets so that they are vertically aligned when mounted. I wound up trimming the excess corners off my angle brackets, for neatness, and to clear the lower radiator hose.

By clamping the lip between the heavy brackets, it eliminated the flex.

If you are interested I have a template for cutting the brackets.
I would love the templates !

There's not a thing wrong with the Addco BARS. Their hardware kits leave some to be desired. I used an Addco bar on my 64, but used Energy Suspension mounting hardware. Still came out much less expensive than some of the other brands.

We welded the brackets to my son's K-member. All of the aftermarket sway bars that I have seen use the same type of bracket.

We welded the brackets to my son's K-member. All of the aftermarket sway bars that I have seen use the same type of bracket.

Jim, the Hellwig bars have a completely different mounting system. The straps actually face straight down instead of forward. It's very well engineered. But I managed to make the Addco bar work well with some mods.

I would love the templates !

The PDF is my cutting & drilling template, designed to use 2 x 2 x 1/4" solid steel angle. This photo and the diagram show the brackets mounted to the K-frame. In the photo you can see I also substituted a PST strap and poly bushing, but that isn't necessary.

new-bracket.jpg

Mount diagram.png

Attachments

• K BRACKET TEMPLATE.pdf
    112.9 KB · Views: 60
This is beyond helpful. I appreciate all the input and help! My afternoon just got a little easier…

Not sure if this helps but I recently made mounting brackets to put an Addco bar on my 71 Demon. Used some flat stock that I had laying around.
473CA956-2878-41D6-A765-3265B88BC072.jpeg
44990A69-828D-491B-8547-B9921042C55D.jpeg

FC30D026-F98B-4FD2-BD9F-46F7D4EF88EF.jpeg

not sure if appropriate here
but using Moog k750074 (ford truck part)
trim the ends off the lower thread
get the ones with grease fittings

use instead of threaded strut and and rubber doughnuts to mount the arm ends to the LCA
also helps

works with standard set up on an A body...presume it will work here

saw it in MA a while back...tried it...noticeable small change for the better.

Dave

-
Back