Adding weight, but don't want a big wheelie....

-
Have you tried leaving in second gear? A couple years ago my Dart ran 6.50 with a 1.52 60' leaving in second gear, in the heat.
I think that would probably get close to the number I need, but I fear that the car would be too lazy to react to the instant green tree. I'm already at a disadvantage due to foot-braking in a T-brake dominated class.

Thanks for all the options guys, I'll figure something out. This is not my normal race class, so I really don't want to spend money on slowing the car down, but I will find a way to make it run the number.

Thanks everyone (especially for the good laughs :))
Dave

If your gonna race a few different indexes
I would suggest a restrictor plate system .
I did the weight deal it was just to much of a pain in the *** . The 100lbs equals a tenth
Just isn’t true
If your interested I can give you the contact info and can help get you started with selecting a starting plate as I have gained a little experience with mine

So, I have a 10.5 index race coming up in about a week and a half and I need to slow the car down. I'm currently spot dropping at the 1000' mark and it's still too quick (darn cool air, lol). I have the ability to safely add weight in my trunk, but I'm a little worried about putting the car on the bumper. The car currently pulls the front wheels about 12-14 inches on launch, which is fine, no drama....my question is, will adding another 100-150lbs to the trunk put this on the bumper? I'm just a little nervous about hurting my car.

Any experience with adding weight would be appreciated.

I just saw this advertised

EZ-Plate Systems - How It Works

If you have adjustable front shocks you could tighten them a little after you add the 100lbs to the trunk.

UPDATE: Turns out I didn't need much of anything to slow it down....thanks to a 20+ mph head wind, lol. I pulled about 2-3 degrees of timing and lifted at the 1000' mark, plus the head wind made a nice 10.502 package....then I proceeded to cut a miserable light (due to factors out of my control) and lost rd 1...oh well.

Something malfunctioned with the auto start and/or my opponents car. Once we were both pre-staged, I full staged, saw my opponents full stage light and immediately went up on the converter and stared at the green bulb (instant green tree)....many seconds went by and nothing happened, I glance over and saw my opponents full stage light was out and he was bumping back in (don't know if he rolled backward or what)....I was already on the converter, so I could not back down, but my car tends to hesitate if I'm up on the converter too long.... light went green and the car hesitated....I ran the number but it didn't matter at that point, opponent had too much in the bank and ran the number too. I probably could have complained, because the tree should have fired once it saw both cars fully staged...but it was cold, and this was typical for my 2020 season (can't get anything to go right), so I decided just to pack it up and put the car away for the winter since it was still in one piece, lol.

Your mistake was staring at the green!?. If your light turns green, you GO! Let them try to argue you out of the win AFTER you take the win lightl
Edit: i saw a race like that once, on a yoi tube video of a street race. The starter flipped on his light, and both racers just sat there. Finally, one guy decided to go. Thats the first time i have ever seen a heads-up race won with a six second reaction time.

Last edited:
Your mistake was staring at the green!?. If your light turns green, you GO! Let them try to argue you out of the win AFTER you take the win lightl
Edit: i saw a race like that once, on a yoi tube video of a street race. The starter flipped on his light, and both racers just sat there. Finally, one guy decided to go. Thats the first time i have ever seen a heads-up race won with a six second reaction time.
I think you miss understood. The tree is set up for instant green (no amber bulbs), so when the green lights up, you go. I was staring at the green bulb waiting for it to light up. Does that make sense?

I think you miss understood. The tree is set up for instant green (no amber bulbs), so when the green lights up, you go. I was staring at the green bulb waiting for it to light up. Does that make sense?
Youre right, i did. Thanks for clearing that up. Lol.

-
Back