Adding weight, but don't want a big wheelie....

-
So, I have a 10.5 index race coming up in about a week and a half and I need to slow the car down. I'm currently spot dropping at the 1000' mark and it's still too quick (darn cool air, lol). I have the ability to safely add weight in my trunk, but I'm a little worried about putting the car on the bumper. The car currently pulls the front wheels about 12-14 inches on launch, which is fine, no drama....my question is, will adding another 100-150lbs to the trunk put this on the bumper? I'm just a little nervous about hurting my car.

Any experience with adding weight would be appreciated.

Donuts. Eat lots of donuts, it works.

main.jpg

This is my small carb unfortunately. Its a 750dp. My other carb is a 950XP, slightly faster but not usable for an instant green tree (which is what this class runs).
Disconnect the linkage to the back barrels. LOL... Retard the timing 10*. Pull number 6 plug wire. SOMETHING will slow that fish up!!!! :D

I like the throttle stop idea. Install one. That's a PERMANENT SOLUTION, can stay there forever and be adjusted for different situations. Dead bang the best idea.

Disconnect the linkage to the back barrels. LOL... Retard the timing 10*. Pull number 6 plug wire. SOMETHING will slow that fish up!!!! :D
LOL, actually years ago I found that on my old motor (high 10 second motor) pulling the pin on the secondaries would knock about 4-5 tenths off.

You could let the village idiot work on it... that will show it down ! LOL

Sounds like a good place for my Holley 6425 650 two barrel. But if you're lifting at 1000 feet, it may be worth a shot to put the 950 back on it with the secondary link disconnected.

Going first to 3rd used to knock two tenths out if my old high 9 sec car.
Lower your shift point A little and try that, should be you super close
You dont want to lay the nose down if you can help it and let somebody by you.

If you don't have a passenger seat, ad a nice heavy one. You could also strap some ballast underneath it.
I had two cars I wanted to slow down, one to get from high nines to low 10s, (no license, and I didn't want all the b's that goes with it.) Disconnecting the secondary slowed that car down a couple tenths.
The other car was about three tenths too fast for the bracket I wanted to run in, so I built a permanent stop, kinda like the moroso one above. That thing will be consistent, and slow you down as much as you want. Your problem is going to be lack of tnt to set it.
Isn't it a shame that it is so much easier to slow down than speed up?

Many many,years ago,
I made a really simple device, for my streeter, to use as a cruise control. It's just a coat-hanger wire looped around the throttle arm, and guided by a hole I drilled in the spring anchor. Then I put a light throttle spring on the carb, and a stiffer one on the wire. Finally, I installed a wire clamp on the wire to act as as a closed-position stop.

So, now, I adjust the thing so that the car is able to reach just 65 mph on the soft spring, but if I need to pass someone or climb a hill, I just press harder and the second spring announces it's presence. It works real slick. I can't speak to consistency, but I'm sure it could be beefed up.

It acts just like the KD mechanism on the firewall side, but is on the radiator side. If you're not using the KD mechanism, then you could re-purpose it to do the same thing..And the KD thing is right there already, and it's fully adjustable.
I know, kindof bush-league, but you got a pretty big window.

Have you tried leaving in second gear? A couple years ago my Dart ran 6.50 with a 1.52 60' leaving in second gear, in the heat.

LOL, actually years ago I found that on my old motor (high 10 second motor) pulling the pin on the secondaries would knock about 4-5 tenths off.

My son did about the same thing years ago before he had his roll bar. I built him a nice 360 and our tech guy knew he was going to be quicker than 11.50
So he told my son he had one pass to see what it ran before slowing it down. He ran a 10.70 and he met him at his pit spot after his pass. He wired his secondary closed and that got him close. Another 100 pounds did the job. One month later my son had a legal bar in the car to let it eat.

-
Back