adjusting holley floats on shaky engine?

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to rebuild my Holley 750 with vacuum secondaries. I have read the sticky by StrokerScamp and whatever else I can find online about this but will be my first time. Playing around with it I tried to see where my floats are set now, but when I remove the plug, at idle my engine shakes so much I have fuel splashing out. Have a 70 Duster, 340 mild build with a MP 484 cam. Or is this much shaking not normal and I got bad engine mounts or something? Can I run the engine for a bit, shut if off, check the float level and make minor adjustments and repeat?

Either "rig" an electric pump so you can set them engine off, or just set them as you would any other carb, IE by measurement. I don't remember, anymore, what this is for the various float bowl configurations, but I'd bet it's on the Holley website tech pages.

If you use an electric pump, remember that pump pressure DOES affect level, so you'll have to figure a way to emulate your running pressure.

if you have the float bowl off turn it upside down take one of the screws that holds the bowl on and you should be able to run the screw under the float. it should just drag it.get it like that and its close enough to race......Artie..................ps I should have said the end the screw driver slot is in..I hop you dont use the small end...

if you have the float bowl off turn it upside down take one of the screws that holds the bowl on and you should be able to run the screw under the float. it should just drag it.get it like that and its close enough to race......Artie

would it be safe to say that would work with a 600 as well?

if you have the float bowl off turn it upside down take one of the screws that holds the bowl on and you should be able to run the screw under the float. it should just drag it.get it like that and its close enough to race......Artie

I heard the same thing with a pencil. Electrics are nice like that. Can you run it at a fast idle to mellow out the vibrations. Ilove the fact that the gas spews out the adjuster when you crack the lock screw...

Thanks I will remember that! I have always adjusted the float (dry) so it was getting gas but wasnt near the sight plug. Then adjust (wet) until I saw gas at the bottom. This applies to shaky engines. On my toolbox I have got it wrote down with a sharpie which direction to turn the float adjustment in order to add fuel or take fuel away. I can never remember which way to turn it.

I'm not shour.Iv never dun it on the smaller ones if you have one off you could try.I dont see why not the screw is the same size and the flout hole I gess in the same place.

great info, i am going to try it in the A.M. im getting ready to put this 600 on....

Thx to all who responded. Great useful information as always.

I've always used a 3/8 drill bit to measure float. As far as using an electric pump holley recommends 7 psi at idle. Another way is to disengage the main wire from the coil and use your stater to turn the pump while adjusting.

-
Back