Advance spring

-
Yes vacuumed advance is hook up
Though there is tons of good info here, it doesn’t answer your specific question.
You said pings at part or mid throttle, but feels snappier otherwise.

This means all you should need to do is adjust your vacuum can so it doesn’t advance as soon in mid throttle.

I run a modified stock Mopar distributor with one light Mr Gasket spring in place of the heavy spring and a mechanical advance limit plate.
Mechanical advance is all in by 2,500 rpms and it works great.
I also had to back off on the vacuum advance can to stop light throttle pinging.
If you don’t know how to adjust that then we can go over it.

No matter if you buy a 100 or $2000 distributor if the curve is not right for your engine it will never run optimal. Like matt Graphed the MP or Mr. G springs are seriously light and advances all in fast. There are dozens of different springs that mopar made. All sorts of combinations but you also have to know what your advance plate is. Say it is 11, and you need 15 dist degrees, you either have to change it or get the slot milled longer. There were a good set of springs I found a yeear or so ago they were Blue Dot. Pretty much a decent curve in most not to light and not to heavy. As of different weights no selection I know of out there they are all 69G.

I don’t know of other weights either. Sometimes I grind or drill some weight off, but changing the shape of the weight will change the curve.

Though there is tons of good info here, it doesn’t answer your specific question.
You said pings at part or mid throttle, but feels snappier otherwise.

This means all you should need to do is adjust your vacuum can so it doesn’t advance as soon in mid throttle.

I run a modified stock Mopar distributor with one light Mr Gasket spring in place of the heavy spring and a mechanical advance limit plate.
Mechanical advance is all in by 2,500 rpms and it works great.
I also had to back off on the vacuum advance can to stop light throttle pinging.
If you don’t know how to adjust that then we can go over it.
OK do I stick an Alan key in the pod witch way do I ture it.

OK do I stick an Alan key in the pod witch way do I ture it.
3/32 allen
If I remember correctly you want to give it about 2 full turns clockwise.
Obviously if the problem is worse I am wrong on the direction.

Family BBQ birthday party today for our oldest Son, so can’t be on much today.

3/32 allen

OK thanks have a great time today.

No matter if you buy a 100 or $2000 distributor if the curve is not right for your engine it will never run optimal. Like matt Graphed the MP or Mr. G springs are seriously light and advances all in fast. There are dozens of different springs that mopar made. All sorts of combinations but you also have to know what your advance plate is. Say it is 11, and you need 15 dist degrees, you either have to change it or get the slot milled longer. There were a good set of springs I found a yeear or so ago they were Blue Dot. Pretty much a decent curve in most not to light and not to heavy. As of different weights no selection I know of out there they are all 69G.
Hey halifaxhops you carry/sell bluedot springs? I vaguely recall you had em to sell before.

If it pings under light load, & you are using VA, you have two options: delay the centri curve with heavier spring &/or weights......or adj the VA rate. [ Allen Key adjustment ]. If using manifold sourced VA [ smart people are ], you need to make sure AFTER using the AK that you still have the same timing at idle....& it is steady.
If the ign system has been dialled in already, & everything is working ok but just getting some light throttle ping, it is better to work on the centri curve to fix the problem. Heavier springs or lighten the weight.

3/32 allen

Clockwise advances, counter clockwise retards. Big big blocks are the opposite.

I wish I can get more of them springs. Here pics always help on advances. All it does is adjust the rate of advance by how much it advances by vacuum not total amount of advance. To make it easy say the arm has 10 stamped on it that is the max amount of distributor degrees you can achieve. Say you want that at 51nhg then crank the screw clockwise most of the way. You want it to come in at 10 inhg counter clockwise the screw untill the result is achieved. now to lock it out USUALLY just turn it all the way counte clockwise and it wil compress the rate spring al the way down in effect locking it out. Hope it helps.

vac1.JPG

vac2.JPG

Last edited:
If it pings under light load, & you are using VA, you have two options: delay the centri curve with heavier spring &/or weights......or adj the VA rate. [ Allen Key adjustment ]. If using manifold sourced VA [ smart people are ], you need to make sure AFTER using the AK that you still have the same timing at idle....& it is steady.
If the ign system has been dialled in already, & everything is working ok but just getting some light throttle ping, it is better to work on the centri curve to fix the problem. Heavier springs or lighten the weight.
I think the Mr Gasket light spring is my problem,the other dizzy with the 2 heavey oem spring does not ping but not responsive like the new dizzy.

Two questions please.
What if there is no number stamped on the VA?

Can I assume that there are hard stops for the spring adjustment both fully compressed and relaxed?

Thanks

I wish I can get more of them springs. Here pics always help on advances. All it does is adjust the rate of advance by how much it advances by vacuum not total amount of advance. To make it easy say the arm has 10 stamped on it that is the max amount of distributor degrees you can achieve. Say you want that at 51nhg then crank the screw clockwise most of the way. You want it to come in at 10 inhg counter clockwise the screw untill the result is achieved. now to lock it out USUALLY just turn it all the way counte clockwise and it wil compress the rate spring al the way down in effect locking it out. Hope it helps.

View attachment 1716106582

View attachment 1716106583
Great stuff, Ray. Remember though, all this is reversed for a big block, because the vacuum can is on the "other" side of the distributor, and the distributor turns the opposite direction.

Yes and no it is mirror imaged, think flipped over it pulls the arm in on either to advance the timing with vacuum. Thats why the arms are marked left and right they wont interchange say B/RB to / or la

Vacuum Advances with prices.jpg

Last edited:
This my new one that has the Mr Gasket light spring, note the numbers on the side do they mean anything,I do have the blue dot 2060 springs coming.

20230625_110450.jpg

Two questions please.
What if there is no number stamped on the VA?

Can I assume that there are hard stops for the spring adjustment both fully compressed and relaxed?

Thanks
Yes and no.
on the arm is a stopper. You can see it in post 34 from HalifaxHops. As vacuum pulls the arm in, eventually the stopper will hit the back of the V-can and that stops it from advancing any more.
Those stoppers vary in size for allowing different amounts of maximum vacuum advance. You can cut the stopper off partially, to increase the max. The most I have gotten is 22*, but Trailbeast got 24* out of his.
On the other-side, as already mentioned, if you drive the spring to maximum compression, it will eventually limit the amount of vacuum advance possible to whatever vacuum your particular engine can generate.
The adjusting screw is torque-limited. If you back it out thru the stiffness, it will fall out.
Here's how I use the Vcan;
Part I
I map my PowerTiming.
I map my Vacuum advance unit.
I observe my cruise rpm.
I look on my map to see how much mechanical advance I have available at cruise rpm.
I look at the Max that my can is able to generate with the vacuum my engine can generate at cruise rpm.
I add those two up.
If the number is too high, the engine may detonate.
If the number is too low, the engine may suck gas.
The cruise timing should total more than 44* and less than 60*, with a good compromise being 50>56 degrees.

Here's how to determine the best cruise timing for your Combo;
Loosen the V-can so that it can pull-in all that it is able to.
Advance your idle timing until the rpm stops increasing.
Rev the engine up to cruise-rpm, then keeping it at that rpm, Without regard to the numbers on the balancer, just add more advance again,until additional advance produces no additional rpm. If the rpm goes down at any time, you have gone too far, back it up.
NOW
install your timing light, rev it back up to cruise rpm, read the TOTAL all sources timing. The number you read is what the engine wants, at that rpm and load setting.. Subtract THREE degrees for load compensation. This will be your target.

Suppose your engine wants 56*@2800 with something like 3.55s.
Suppose your total mechanical timing available at 2800 is 28* Then; 56 less 28=28 more needed in the Vcan. Suppose your particular can, is only able to provide 14*. Thus your engine is 28 less 14= 14* short. it will suck gas big time.
So then, you take the Vcan out of the D and cut the stops, and say you get 22* out of it. Now you are 56* less (28+22)= just 6* short. That is as good as it gets, unless you want to try running Power-Timing of; 28+6 =34* at 2800. It will cruise just fine, but what will happen when you floor it in Top gear at 2800 with 34* of Power-Timing? My guess is that the engine will rattle itself to pieces..... over time. Don't do that.

Part II
I use the v-can to augment a slow mechanical curve. That is to say if your engine will not tolerate more than 24*/WOT at 2400stall, then 24* is all you can run. But suppose that at that same 2400 rpm at Part-throttle light load, your engine likes 46*. Well , just modify your Vcan to make 22* and adjust so it all comes in at whatever vacuum your engine can generate at 2400rpm/light load.
So now your engine is safe at WOT(24*), and fuel-efficient at 46*cruise. AND
Since the V-can is operating at max of 22*, then by varying the throttle opening, you can vary the amount of all-source timing anywhere in between that 24* and that 46*, thus making the throttle very responsive.
If your particular combo, detonates anywhere in that range, readjust the V-can to kick itself out quicker.
If you still cannot get away from detonation, you most likely have poor chamber characteristics, and will need better gas.
If better gas won't solve it either, then check your cylinder pressure; it may be that that your combo will never work properly at the theorized numbers I have provided.
Finally, you may have to reduce the load on the crank with a higher stall or racier gears.
If you are able to get this right for your combo, you will be rewarded with a very fun engine, that also gets great fuel economy.
But be warned; not every combo will accept the kinds of mods to the extent that mine does, so you may have a summer of dinking around ahead of you. Take it slow and sneak up on it. Start by disconnecting the Vcan, and by mapping out your PowerTiming.
If it was me, I would try to use a two-stage curve, using the one-long loop spring. This will get you a fast stage-one, then a delayed and slower stage -two, and you can fill in the blanks by trading initial-timing for all-in timing, using the slots in the advance-plate.
I would start with 20 degrees in the slots and 12* at Idle, for a total of 32* .. This will give you 2>4 degrees on the final approach, and allows for fooling around, during the preliminary adjustments.
If you run too much Idle-timing you will upset the Transfer-slot fuel to mixture screw fuel, and cause problems like tip-in sags, hesitations, maybe a bog, and an all-the-time wrong AFR. Not to forget the possibility of a too-high idle-speed and/or clanging the power-train on transmission engagement. Once you get the T-slots sync'd up, your engine does not care about idle-timing. No matter where you set it, it will NEVER be optimum, anyway, because no carburator that I know of will actually operate at the extreme idle-timing that most engines actually want or will tolerate.
If you want to actually find out what yours wants do this;
Sync up your transfer slots to show about square underneath the primary throttles. Close the secondaries up tight but not sticking. Open your mixture screws to in the center of their working range, which on a Carter-type is 2.5 turns. Make sure the float-level is where the designer specified. Make sure the PCV system is functioning correctly and if you have a brake-booster, clamp the charge line shut.
Now, increase the timing without regard to the numbers. Keep on increasing until additional timing does NOT produce additional rpm. Now put the timing light on it. Whatever you read there, is what the engine wants at whatever the rpm got up to, with no load on the crank.
Ask yourself, how that will run in gear and accelerating......... There is no way to slow the idle back down, on any carb I know of, that will not destroy the T-Slot sync, which has to be set that way, for tip-in and drive-away considerations.
Now
if you have a factory EFI car, go put a scanner on it, that has a graphing capability, and watch the timing. It's a thing of beauty to watch.

Last edited:
The way I curve them for the street, one light spring and one medium spring. That usually gets it right on the money. I rarely have to go back and make a spring change.

Well would I better of buying a new dizzy, say Firecore
You would do well with sending yours out to or out right buying one from Halifahops fast shipping helpful e-mails and great service when i delt with him

Thanks 340six glad you're happy. The new aftermarket distributors usually have a really fast curve in them set up more for the track then the street. Some engines they work great others they ping badly. kind of like buying a Cardone from RA. Now on vac advances I have seen them marked as low as 6 and as high as 14 degrees distributor that is double at the crank. That is the most it will advance. Most are adjustable if they have the "hex" can adjust the rate as needed. Just fyi use a digital advance light oor a timing tape to clock it. The old analouge dial backs are usually way off due to age and wear on the potentiometer. I really like those blue dot springs for stock applicationns they seem to wake up almost any engine. hard to find now. I got lucky and fell into alot of them but they are all gone from me now.

Up date got the blue spot springs in, turned the vacuum pod 2turns ccw no ping at part throttle , nothing runs like a champ.Thanks for all the help.

-
Back