Advice needed please

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to ask your opinion about a recent oppertunity I recived to purchase a car that Ive wanted for a long time. The car(s) is a 64 Barracuda.

Since I was 15, before I bought my dart, Ive been looking for a reasonably affordable 1964-5 barracuda. Theres just someting about em that I really like, possably that oversized back glass and rear folding seat.. When the time came to buy one the only ones I could find were sitting in fields with cactus growing inside of them and the owners still wanted three grand, it seems that with the name 'barracuda' everyone around here assumes its worth more than other similar cars. So I was "introduced" to my 65 dart gt, which the owner took thirteen hundred for, and it grew on me. Im absolutely not saying that I dont like my dart, but still, those barracudas are mighty fine..

At the local carshow on friday night I talked to this guy who Ive talked to before, but him being an Edsel guy I kinda found him a bit strange, about my dart and whats planned for its future racecarness. Then the convo switches to barracudas some how and the guy says "got three of em in my back yard, two 65s and a 64 with the push button trans." First I thought 'yea right' but then he started telling me how his other buddys didnt belive him till they stepped foot in his back yard. As he continues, he says that hes willing to sell all three to me for twenty five hundred bucks. I asked how close they were to being street driven and he replied the 64 just neeeds a motor and its good to go. The issue with this is that I have absolutely no room for ANY more viehicles at my home:angry7:. Well, at least thats what my dad says. I just cant pass up on this deal. Even if I just buy the 64, offer him a grand, and pick up a motor to get her to be a driver, my dad would $h!t a brick and say that we dont need anymore cars. Im even willing to part with my uncles 63 chevy pickup Ive been working on the past year and a half to get another early a.

Sorry, I just keep rambling on and on.. I just wanted see what you guys thought.

Thank you,
RD

Here is an honest opinion. I would keep the Dart until I had my own place. I know that maybe a long time, but just my 2 cents.

Look at it this way, If you really want the Cuda, then get a storage unit to store it in. If you have the bread to add another car to your stable then a storage unit would be the easiest answer to this problem

I would agree with everyone above so far, if you have the money and can afford the rent on a sotrage unit go and they are in good shape or worth the money then go for it. Around here there are many options for storage units from separate garage units to big open sided storage to outside storage.

Thanks guys. Great idea on the storage delema, the thing is though is that Id want to make the bcuda my daily driver. So depending on the shape of the car, Id like to be able to drop a running engine in and just drive it. Thats if thats all it needs, which I bet says it probably needs way more than just a motor to make it streetable.

Im not getting rid of my dart, Ive invested wayy too much dough into it already and its the first car I bought with my own money so sentamental value is there also.

I cant imagine what it would be like to own a 64 fish as my driver and my dart as my race car, its like a dream come true.. LOL

Thanks again for all your help.

I know, the parts alone are worth 2500 bucks easy.

I love my 65 cuda, had a 66 for many years track/street car If you dont want them I know people who do (me). I think early a body cudas rule and soon they are gathering value as other cudas are through the roof! They only made a few thousand of these cars in 64/65 so do not let them rot. Drive em and love them parts are hard to find and if you do buy them! I am slightly biased........anyway!!! Small block 318 in the 64 will do nicely as a driver and can made to be a sleeper with a little work...

I agree with you 100% about saving them from rotting away. These were made to drive, not to sit in a back yard for decades waiting to bee doomed. I would probably give my left nut to have a nice litlle barracuda as my daily driver, a nice mild 318 or even 360 would be great and be far better on gas than my old chevy pickup. (High compression 283 means premium fuel. With a granny 4 speed which has horrible ratios and 373 gears arnt exactly cruzing on the freeway frendly)

The more I think about it, the more I want to go for it and I havent even looked at the cars yet LOL

Thank you all again for all of your help. This site is quite literally the best fourm on the net.

RD

-
Back