Advice on Cylinder Head cfm for 340 stroker

-
That's amazing, are they the Promaxx cnc bare heads that you got?
No I just bought them bare from promaxx and had modern cylinder head cnc them.

20171227_190205.jpg

View attachment 1715247440
Nice to know Modern has a CNC for them. The air flow is very good. Now just match it to the actual (not theoretical) lift of the cam. You could do very well with just a paultry .500 lift.

Well the CNC modern heads sounds interesting... I will have to touch base with them next week

You are
Correct to a degree. The standard port aftermarket heads are still considered a stock replacement head and as such, they only obtain so much power. And a good bit of it they make. But only so fast you can go. Now you enter the Indy, W series heads.

Your wondering if you’ll feel or notice they extra 15 cfm?

Are you lifting the valve that high?

If not, then don’t bother.

Are you racing the car or is it still mostly street?

If it is not a light weight race ride, then don’t bother.

Are you going to take full advantage of the upper level head?

Of not, then don’t bother.

FWIW, your cam is listed at 260*’s @ .050.
I call that a small big cam.
You also never mentioned the cams lift or the rocker ratio along with the current head flow specs. Without this information, were kind of shooting in the dark to get you out of the dark. You want out of the dark, you need to turn on some more light onto the situation with complete information on your set up.

Also, (not breaking balls, but) your car is really heavy to realize any gains from more advantageous parts. Bust that heavy girls gut down to sub 3K.
Less weight is faster and less broken parts.
Sorry, it's a 585 lift cam, 1.5 crane aluminum roller rockers. Around 60% race, 40% street/show duty. I know its not the IDEAL car for the engine but it's being built to both race/show. The idea is get as fast/quick as possible with it's orig. 340 mill. I'm hoping for a 550+HP, mid-high 11 sec. resto... or at least as close as possible with the combo I'm using.

View attachment 1715247440
Do you mind sharing what you paid Modern to have these CNC'd? Who did you work with? Just curious who to talk to if I give them a call. I assume you ordered the Maxx series head part #9361 or 93615?

I also read some not nice reviews about their turn around time. There are some guys that waited over a year for Bob to get their heads done. How quick was the turn around for you?

Last edited:
-
Back