Advice on strokin' a 360

-

Rockin Ronnie

Reaction score
Hello to all of you "in the know"...I am looking to start an engine overhaul of a 1978 360 Premium (possible Police Motor) Motor came out of a Diplomat...anyways my question is how easy is it for a mechanically inclined guy to buy and install a 408 or 412 stroker kit for a 360..and what kind of HP`s could I get with a decent set of Mopar performance or Edelbrock heads!!!! I want to keep the cost reasonable 3000-4000 total if possible...Any advice would be appreciated..Thanks in advance to all..Ron

Do a search on here for stroker. You'll fine a lot of info. There is also a book called "How To Build Big Inch Small Block Mopars" with quite a bit of info. From what I've heard, if you can assemble a motor you can build a stroked Mopar small block. Pretty much a bolt together deal.

I think you'll need at least another thousand maybe two for a stroker.

HP wise, it's really what the wallet affording.

A cast crank I beam rod stroker kit is just the start of the cost. After machining , theres everything else, like cam, heads rockers and shafts, intakles etc.... It'll add up very quickly.

As far as ease, it'll assembly like any engine. Have you done this before? Assemble an engine. For a beginner, it's a challenge, but doable. I did my first engine with how to rebuild your S/B Mopar. Good book.

I subbed out the stock torque readings on bolts and nuts when there was a high performance part in it's place with it's own torque spec'd numbers.

Strokers are expensive because it is not just going the motor. You need to think about upgrading the rearend, axles, drive line parts, converter, tranny. I think that a cheap stroker build you will spend $4K and that's if you repurpose some heads with porting. My stroker build will come in around $4k because I have already built the drivetrain to handle it and I am using some ported J heads with 2.02's. It is all of the little stuff that gets your wallet.

$4k isn't a lot to spend on a stroker especially if you want to make some serious power...

Just got the latest car craft. It has a great article on small block strokers (mopar if you can believe it). It gives references and prices. Go out and get it before you start.

Do a search on here for stroker. You'll fine a lot of info. There is also a book called "How To Build Big Inch Small Block Mopars" with quite a bit of info. From what I've heard, if you can assemble a motor you can build a stroked Mopar small block. Pretty much a bolt together deal.

+ 1 gazillion....

I just bought this book from Amazon.com for $17.00 to my door....Amazingly informative book that covers EVERYTHING from block choices, to improving the oiling system, cranks, induction, heads, tappett angles, cams, and all kinds of crazy tips you wouldn't even begin to think of unless you're a Chrysler engineer or have built hundreds of these motors....I wouldn't attempt a stroker build without this book.

Just buy mine LOL
I will be pulling it soon for sale .

Picture 002.jpg

Just got the latest car craft. It has a great article on small block strokers (mopar if you can believe it). It gives references and prices. Go out and get it before you start.

Alot of those pics are from our shop. We will be doing a stroker buildup for them soon and it should be a good deal...budget stroker using RHS heads and scat stroker kit. We're hoping for a 4500.00 long block that should make over 450HP on pump gas with a hyd. cam.
Brian

Wow!!! You guys are great!! Thanks for the feedback...For a daily driver I think maybe that strokin' a 360 may be too much money and too much power for my 76 Dart/Valiant since I have not done much other mods to the drivetrain other than a rebuild on a 727 and a pretty much stock 3.55 Posi rear end with Mopar performance leafs and shocks...Maybe buying a "good" used one may be another option..Thanks guys..
canada.gif

Nice motor!!! Why would you even think of selling it???? What kind of money are we talking here?? Don't forget I would have to come up from Ontario Canada...New Jersey is a fair piece away..Or were you just kidding...Thanks for the tips .. RON

I,m having a 408 stroker built now and bought my kit through Eagle(H-beam,10.2 pistons)kit was $2K.I got a deal on some Eddy RPM,s heads,so they,re getting some light P&P running a M1 intake HO850DP from AED,Mildoon pan,Dougs headers.It,s gonna cost more than $4000 here in Ontario.Good Luck with your build.

Nice motor!!! Why would you even think of selling it???? What kind of money are we talking here?? Don't forget I would have to come up from Ontario Canada...New Jersey is a fair piece away..Or were you just kidding...Thanks for the tips .. RON

No kidding I am selling it.
That is a long ride to NJ.

Yea, but the ride home will be sweeeeet!:toothy10:

340 Swing,
Which month of Car Craft is the article in? I couldn't find it.

thanks

-
Back