Advice small block K frame with Schumacher conversion mounts for a big block

-
did my 383 dart from the top , slipped right in , with the steering column and brake booster out of the way . with a/c and without a/c . its tight on the plug change , it was way easier from the bottom like chrysler service did it , still end wrenches on the power steering box plugs .
DSC00280.JPG
DSC04062.JPG

On my 68 valiant I bolted the trans up to the crossmember in place (with support under the pan), then dropped the motor in from the top. Didn't need to remove the hood. Bellhousing bolts were tight but doable.
Neil.

I originally wanted to drop mine in from the top as well, but followed advice on this forum and dropped the k-frame instead. On the plus side, you don't need to take the hood off!
Mine is a RB though, so taller than a B engine.(would hit heater motor and brake booster)
I can't speak to dropping it in from the top, sorry.

I’ve installed mine in my 69 cuda through the top with the transmission installed. I didn’t remove the hood but I removing the two front hinge bolts and lifted the front of the hood a little. If I had to do it again I’d do it from the bottom.

I did a 383 in My '69 Cuda convertible, great upgrade from the 360, more torque. I added a Schumacher torque strap to the front of the motor as well. I definitely wish I had taken the cross member out and installed from the bottom. If you go to put it in and it doesn't fit, like I had to do a few times just to re-size everything, then its a pain. Do it the easy way. It might seem like a bit more stuffing about but I guarantee you won't regret it.

I was going to drop the engine / trans in from the top. Is this a major prob going in from the top ?

FWIW, The deeper the oil pan the more difficult an engine/trans assy. will be from the top. It can get real tight between the K-member and firewall. A top install can be a bit easier if you lift the rear of the car.

-
Back