After market AC system

-

Demonracer

71 Demon 00 Ram 16 Chrysler 300S 05 Caravan
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge about after market AC systems? I'm doing leg work for a good friend, he is installing a BBM in an 80 model Volare/RR & wants to do away with all of the AC behind the dash & install an after market kit complete with new compressor & evaporator.

Usually you have to block the fresh air vent from the cowl, most aftermarket systems have no way to attach. The factory stuff is superior in this regard.

The main problem with the factory system is, it was destroyed by a minor electrical fire under the dash. That is the primary reason for looking into after market systems.

It's my opinion that no other manufacturers are in the same ballpark as Coldmaster costumer service or price wise...

It's my opinion that no other manufacturers are in the same ballpark as Coldmaster costumer service or price wise...
Without reading your thread, how did you like it?
A quick over view post please.
Pro’s and Con’s?

Without reading your thread, how did you like it?
A quick over view post please.
Pro’s and Con’s?
Customer service was great, price was dirt cheap.. the kit was 98% complete...
To tell you upfront it's more of a universal deal. You need to get or make your own compressor bracket which it's the typical 508 compressor... Obviously supplied a couple few cans of freon what's your five bucks each at Walmart... The 2% of incomplete that I'm talking about or maybe a couple nuts and bolts to mount a couple things and some radiator style zip ties to mount the condenser and it's fan...
I would say if you call for some customer support and you don't get an answer just wait 20 minutes and call again Monday through Friday. You'll likely talk to Omar and I highly recommend running down a few questions after looking at their website and asking and seeing for yourself if your confidence isn't built...
and again all in all I had to shut mine off the other day because my fingers and arm was getting numb...

I'll be getting their kit with only the underhood components. Just wish I was competent enough to fab up my own brackets like everyone else, which could save me from paying 150 for brackets to mount the ac compressor.

I'll be getting their kit with only the underhood components. Just wish I was competent enough to fab up my own brackets like everyone else, which could save me from paying 150 for brackets to mount the ac compressor.
If I could have paid a hundred fifty bucks and had one that worked in the position I wanted it I would have done it... As it is I think I paid 45 bucks for the generic brackets and then spent two days fabricating the rest.. my thing was I didn't want it on top of front in the stock position. I don't want to open my hood and people say holy air conditioner unit! LOL..

If I could have paid a hundred fifty bucks and had one that worked in the position I wanted it I would have done it... As it is I think I paid 45 bucks for the generic brackets and then spent two days fabricating the rest.. my thing was I didn't want it on top of front in the stock position. I don't want to open my hood and people say holy air conditioner unit! LOL..

There are a lot of guys who grab ac brackets off of newer dodges 80's and 90's but most of the people said they had to modify them and thats where I fall short.

Yea I dont mind it in the stock position as thats where my big *** RV2 compressor already is.

Only 2 days fabricating? Pfft... ill buy "direct bolt in" and it will probably take 6 months before it works "correctly..." As thats what it seems like all of my projects take. :BangHead:

HemiDenny is making brackets that relocate the power steering pump and put the compressor low on the drivers side

HemiDenny is making brackets that relocate the power steering pump and put the compressor low on the drivers side
For sale or for himself?..
I seen those pictures when I was making mine.. Does he have it up and running?
Is it on an LA small block?...

For sale or for himself?..
I seen those pictures when I was making mine.. Does he have it up and running?
Is it on an LA small block?...

He is selling them. He has the set up for the LA small block. Send him a PM.

IMG_20200717_195051.jpg

IMG_20200719_153559.jpg

IMG_20200720_134820.jpg

I just bought some generic brackets to make my own. I plan on feeling it all out and making it all fancy and possibly chrome dipping it the next time I have it off...

View attachment 1715660251
View attachment 1715660250
View attachment 1715660252
I just bought some generic brackets to make my own. I plan on feeling it all out and making it all fancy and possibly chrome dipping it the next time I have it off...

I'm loving the look of the ac down there after seeing the hemidenny and your set up. I have ps so to do his I'd have to get a new ps pump which is more monies. I also don't have the ability to weld or accurately cut metal at my house so making my own is a no go.

I'm loving the look of the ac down there after seeing the hemidenny and your set up. I have ps so to do his I'd have to get a new ps pump which is more monies. I also don't have the ability to weld or accurately cut metal at my house so making my own is a no go.
I think if I ever wanted power steering I would look into the electric power steering..

I'll chime in here. I have some experience with Vintage Air. I've installed a few of their units........recently and I don't like them. All of the under dash hardware and box is chinsey as hell and takes up way too much space. The defrost and vent hoses are a total ***** to run because the boxes are so big. Their servos are cheap as hell and break on a moment's notice. I've never seen such cheap crap that people paid such a premium for. There's no way in hell I'd buy one of their systems. I'd much rather scrounge up an old used factory system, refurbish it and use that. The fit and finish is much better and the parts are top notch in comparison.

Lastly, I like what @j par did with his. He has what I consider a bare minimum cost for new stuff in his system. Pretty well thought out and seems to work well so far. If you can piece together something like that, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, you're better off with refurbished factory stuff. Now, under the hood, I'm all for modern parts such as the compressor (Sanden is about the best), driers and condensers and what not..

I'll chime in here. I have some experience with Vintage Air. I've installed a few of their units........recently and I don't like them. All of the under dash hardware and box is chinsey as hell and takes up way too much space. The defrost and vent hoses are a total ***** to run because the boxes are so big. Their servos are cheap as hell and break on a moment's notice. I've never seen such cheap crap that people paid such a premium for. There's no way in hell I'd buy one of their systems. I'd much rather scrounge up an old used factory system, refurbish it and use that. The fit and finish is much better and the parts are top notch in comparison.

Lastly, I like what @j par did with his. He has what I consider a bare minimum cost for new stuff in his system. Pretty well thought out and seems to work well so far. If you can piece together something like that, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, you're better off with refurbished factory stuff. Now, under the hood, I'm all for modern parts such as the compressor (Sanden is about the best), driers and condensers and what not..
I'll chime in on this chime in LOL...
I'm just about finished completing my first install of a full vintage air system. On a 1965 GTO... It is very big under there. they also give you this abbreviated glove box that looks like it could hold two toothpicks LOL it takes up a lot of the glove box room.... I've got to see how it works..???
On the other hand my system that I hooked up works completely awesome but does hang from the dashboard and takes up the space of the heater. I only drive the car in the summer so I don't need the heater. I need ac if anything...
I'm a believer in coldmaster out of Florida... Likely Omar will answer the phone and if he doesn't call back 20 minutes later. Again this is a generic AC and you have to figure some things out. But very complete...

I'll chime in on this chime in LOL...
I'm just about finished completing my first install of a full vintage air system. On a 1965 GTO... It is very big under there. they also give you this abbreviated glove box that looks like it could hold two toothpicks LOL it takes up a lot of the glove box room.... I've got to see how it works..???
On the other hand my system that I hooked up works completely awesome but does hang from the dashboard and takes up the space of the heater. I only drive the car in the summer so I don't need the heater. I need ac if anything...
I'm a believer in coldmaster out of Florida... Likely Omar will answer the phone and if he doesn't call back 20 minutes later. Again this is a generic AC and you have to figure some things out. But very complete...

What do you think about the Vintage Air servos? I think they are the biggest pieces of CRAP I've ever seen. And the glove box issue I cannot agree with you more on. I did one in a 72 I think Chevy truck and it had literally ONE INCH of depth left over for the glove box. Ridiculous. If I couldn't design something better than that, I'd go home.

What do you think about the Vintage Air servos? I think they are the biggest pieces of CRAP I've ever seen. And the glove box issue I cannot agree with you more on. I did one in a 72 I think Chevy truck and it had literally ONE INCH of depth left over for the glove box. Ridiculous. If I couldn't design something better than that, I'd go home.
I seen the servos I think you're talking about but I don't know my servos that well to know what a crap one looks like and what a good one looks like...
IMG_20201228_112417.jpg

We got that passenger fender back on and all those hoses are all hidden now..
I'm pretty good about hiding hoses and wires once the finished product is done..
I think that CVS serpentine system turned out pretty nice...

IMG_20201222_120214.jpg

-
Back