After the engine overheated, I found some weird gunk in my radiator

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
I got stuck in traffic driving my 1972 Coronet in the city today, the temp gauge never went over 3/4 of the way, but when I parked and turned off the car, steam billowed out and a bit of coolant spilled too. After letting it cool down I opened the radiator cap to put in some distilled water, but I saw two pieces of some weird gunky substance. I managed to fish them out, I have no idea if there is any more in there that I can't see. I'm just here to ask if this is normal or something I should worry about. I really NEED the car first thing tomorrow for work...

I do not remember what coolant was in the engine, which is a somewhat recently rebuilt 318.

I would just drain out the cooling system, then put some fresh coolant in it and give it a try. Remember to add some antifreeze, it actually helps your engine run cooler than straight water!

I got stuck in traffic driving my 1972 Coronet in the city today, the temp gauge never went over 3/4 of the way, but when I parked and turned off the car, steam billowed out and a bit of coolant spilled too. After letting it cool down I opened the radiator cap to put in some distilled water, but I saw two pieces of some weird gunky substance. I managed to fish them out, I have no idea if there is any more in there that I can't see. I'm just here to ask if this is normal or something I should worry about. I really NEED the car first thing tomorrow for work...

I do not remember what coolant was in the engine, which is a somewhat recently rebuilt 318.
Also sounds like with the coolant puking you might want to install overflow bottle. Check cap gasket also. Ditto the flush and fill w/antifreeze! Good Luck!

Drain ,flush and check the thermostat. I'd be looking for some gasket material or sealer/permatex that loosened up . It may be hindering your flow .

-
Back