Aftermarket carb for 273 commando

-
You need an Edelbrock 1481 adapter and maybe a different upper radiator hose, that one looks to be pinched shut right above the thermostat.

You need an Edelbrock 1481 adapter and maybe a different upper radiator hose, that one looks to be pinched shut right above the thermostat.
Yeah, I'm just gonna put the original hose back on, not using as a dd or long trips, just to cruise around town. The secondary bbls clear so no issues with fitment. Perhaps the intake was machined. Before driving or starting checked to make sure the butterflies opened all the way after installation. No binding

Just curious... Do you get full open throttle from the OEM cable and pedal? Some have been unable to get passing gear/downshift due to lack of travel in these OEM throttle parts.

Yeppers.

If you notice in them there pictures, the throttle cable is mounted lower on the throttle plate, thus increasing travel when pedal is applied due to the proximity from the fulcrum. The kickdown lever is fully adjustable to an inch and a half. More than enough adjustability in order to attain desired results, because of it being farther from the fulcrum, the longer travel and adjustability allows kickdown at whichever rpm I desire, and a certainty that it will kick down

Last edited:
1490065375625531993904.jpg
View attachment 1715030256
As you notice from. This picture, I can move the throttle cable lower on the plate lower still (lower left hole), however is unnecessary to to the achievement of WOT within pedal travel range

I forgot to mention, I installed the edlebrock model 1406 with the electric choke. It may be a little too much carb for this lil engine that barely can, but hey, amazing throttle response. Me likes.

And again, I do appreciate all the help and advice y'all have given. Look forward to more of the same thoughtful help to future problems should they (and when) they arrive.

Last edited:
You got way too much spring on the KD; You need next to nothing on that. If the KD sticks for whatever reason, it will make the primaries harder to close.And maybe they won't close at all.To that end;the plug wires laying on the KD rod is not such a good idea either,lol.
There is a washer and hairpin missing next to the KD slot, which keeps the KD slot perpendicular to the shaft so it won't stick. The throttle cable, where it is attached to the throttle arm appears to be too tight. If the little U-strap cannot swivel there it will flex the cable continuously and eventually it may/will fray there.The rubber on your fuel line looks like it has seen better days.
Congrats on the great Commando find!

Last edited:
You got way too much spring on the KD; You need next to nothing on that. If the KD sticks for whatever reason, it will make the primaries harder to close.And maybe they won't close at all.To that end;the plug wires laying on the KD rod is not such a good idea either,lol.

Awesome, thank you, I'll look into getting a lighter spring. You're spot on about the wires chaffing, those and plugs are next after the tank acid wash, (the ol lady is already pissed I spent 325 on the carb, and the majority of the day we had off together replacing the timing cover gasket), but as per your advice, I'll reroute them until that time comes.

There is a washer and hairpin missing next to the KD slot, which keeps the KD slot perpendicular to the shaft so it won't stick. The throttle cable, where it is attached to the throttle arm appears to be too tight. If the little U-strap cannot swivel there it will flex the cable continuously and eventually it may/will fray there.
Also more good advice, I'll get a longer bolt and a locknut in order to free up the swivel, was just a quick fix because I wasn't getting WOT within pedal travel where the kickdown was, I'll get another cotter key as well

Well just make sure the fuel and the spark stay well separated until the exact right time, inside the engine,lol
Says you, it's more fun the other way...Adds excitement!
The fuel line rubber is brand new, bought and installed it with the washable fuel filter assembly, I've had to change/wash the screen 7 times since I got it...Fuel tank is just effed. One more screen left before more. An acid wash and a new sender unit should fix that though.. this weekend for that.

Last edited:
Says you, it's more fun the other way...Adds excitement! lol
Says you!
not so much when it happens inside the garage, on top of your $5000 engine, under the hood of your expensive paint job.
Exciting is an understatement!
Fun, not hardly.
8 seconds of fire,40 hours of work, gasoline loves to burn. Every car out there is a ticking time bomb. It's amazing to me that fires are so few.

Says you!
not so much when it happens inside the garage, on top of your $5000 engine, under the hood of your expensive paint job.
Exciting is an understatement!
Fun, not hardly.
8 seconds of fire,40 hours of work, gasoline loves to burn. Every car out there is a ticking time bomb. It's amazing to me that fires are so few.

Ouch, sounds like it's happened to you. My condolences my friend, what did it happen on?

Last edited:
Ouch, sounds like it's happened to you. My condolences my friend, what did it happen on?
Hyup,But I left the battle scars on the hood. 68 Barracuda. Repaired the wiring.Cleaned the top of the engine of the extinguisher powder, and hoped for the best.That was 2004, and engine seems to have survived. And no, I will not tell you what stupid thing I done,lol.

Hyup,But I left the battle scars on the hood. 68 Barracuda. Repaired the wiring.Cleaned the top of the engine of the extinguisher powder, and hoped for the best.That was 2004, and engine seems to have survived. And no, I will not tell you what stupid thing I done,lol.
I'll just guess

Lucky you!
regarding looking for new parts from the beginning of your post, before I go to jegs or summit I go to napa. my first resto a 66 mustang I needed rear shocks and another part. I figured what the hell, there was a napa near my house. I walked in there and told them what I needed and the tech went in the back and brought out brand new parts (really dusty) and said here you go. now I check with them before I check anywhere else for older parts. sometimes they have to get them from another napa store but I still get them the same day.

regarding looking for new parts from the beginning of your post, before I go to jegs or summit I go to napa. my first resto a 66 mustang I needed rear shocks and another part. I figured what the hell, there was a napa near my house. I walked in there and told them what I needed and the tech went in the back and brought out brand new parts (really dusty) and said here you go. now I check with them before I check anywhere else for older parts. sometimes they have to get them from another napa store but I still get them the same day.

Awesome, thank you for that tip. I keep forgetting Napa exists simply because I had a massive AutoZone right around the corner, and the Napa I always had to wait to have parts shipped and they were much more expensive in my formative wrenching/ college years. During that time, I had my first car...An 89 iroc with t-tops. The starter was located right below the right manifold, and right above the exhaust crossover, as a result would get hot and wouldn't work after a couple of months. I replaced a lot of those fuckers after hitting them with a hammer stopped working. AutoZone always had one ready for me. And they also had a whole super performance section complete with superchargers, turbos, and nitrous kits. It became my favorite. A lot of starchy socks due to that section

glad I could be of help to you.

-
Back