aftermarket heaters

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
anyone use an after market heater in there cars? I am looking into going this route with my 65 valiant. the cowl vents are rotted out on both sides. i am not going to pull the glass and take the entire cowl off the outside of the car to fix it. nor am i going to pull the dash. I am looking into sealing off the cowl vents and installing a simple aftermarket heater set up to only push air from the dash defrost vents. the car will be driven very often in the cold/rain. what are your thoughts?

this is a universal set up from summit. only $149.

SUM-991102-1_xl.jpg

if the cowl area is rotten I would fix it, it will lead to windshield channel rot in no time, after that happens its all kinds of fun

Friend has used THIS in a few different off road vehicles, said it works well...

Friend has used THIS in a few different off road vehicles, said it works well...

that sure would be an easy way to get around the heater motor problem w/ a big block a body. mine has aftermarket heads, and their longer than stockers, don`t think the heatermotor mod. will work on it. who makes the one pictured,and how much (dinero) is it?-----------------bob:coffee2:

I use a Vintage heat unit made by Vintage Air in my 64 Signet. It's small and tucks under the dash , has the dual defroster plus 3 speeds and works absolutely incredible. Think I paid 200 bucks and would do it again if I needed another one..

I had a Vintage Air / Heat unit for years and switch it to another vehicle I have. Both are excellent

that sure would be an easy way to get around the heater motor problem w/ a big block a body. mine has aftermarket heads, and their longer than stockers, don`t think the heatermotor mod. will work on it. who makes the one pictured,and how much (dinero) is it?-----------------bob:coffee2:

The one I put a link to is a Flex-A-Lite model. Jegs has it for $240 or so.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/mojave-heater-1.html

A former co-worker used one in his off road rig, a CJ 7 with a SBC in it. Jay did not have a top on the rig....I was in it one a 45* day and the thing had no trouble keeping us warm while we were out playing in the muck. Jay used one for heat in the rear of his Suburban to keep his kids warm as well.

everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that his cowl is rotted out and soon be the windshield channel and he just wants to slap an aftermarket heater in it so he doesn't have to fix the problem

everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that his cowl is rotted out and soon be the windshield channel and he just wants to slap an aftermarket heater in it so he doesn't have to fix the problem

i have isolated the problem. i have some rot thru around the top hat on the passenger side. I have already dropped the heater and found the problem. it is not leaking at the window frame at all. it was caused from debri sitting in the cowl for an extended period of time. i was going to cut back the rust and seal in a patch over the cowl top hat area.

I do not have the budget to pull the glass. remove the cowl and replace rusted cowl area. this is not an option. this is also the only area of the car with any rust issues. I want to get the car going for next spring so my wife can enjoy the car. I refuse to take it so far apart that it runs the risk of not being completed.

Not ignoring it.....talking about the thread title...AFTERMARKET HEATERS....If he wants to drive around in a car that is a rot box that is his concern.....not mine. Back on the ignore list for you.....

Frankly, I see this as a fresh approach. I've always been on a different level, "being poor." But even in the old Landcruiser, I adapted a Falcon/ Mustang heater into the old thing up front, and a cut--down Ferd Courier heater in the rear.

I'm old enough to remember some of the old Chev pickups and other "rigs" my Dad and others had, and several of those had aftermarket "box" heaters in 'em. My Gramps old 40 Ford had a Stewart Warner "South Wind" gas fired heater---instant heat, no warmup

Attachments

• sw1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 151
  • sw2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 138
-
Back