aftermarket minitubbed

-

DDart1972

chris
Reaction score
Has anybody mini tubbed their car using a full steel wheel tub such as competition engineering or s&w racecars wheel tubs? I'm mini tubbing my dart right now and I've decided on using an aftermarket tub, but I'm not too sure on which size to buy. I've measured a dozen times and even made a cardboard template and it seems to me that a 36" tub will work and still allow me to retain my factory trunk hinges. I may have to cut off the tension rod supports and use a prop rod to hold the trunk up though. I was curious if anybody else has taken this approach to mini tubbing their car and would like to know the size of the tub they used and maybe some pics.

Have you thought about a pair of reproduction inner wheel housings? Those would give you all the factory contours, and combined with the existing wheel housings, you could get plenty of width, and still have a factory look when the truck is up.

If you're crafty, you could retain all the factory hinge and rod mounting points.

-Brad

I cant remember the exact size of these tubs (custom built), but they are moved up and to the rail. Modified the existing hinge and use struts connected to the cage bars. You are right the tension rods went into the scrap pile.

The last pic is from my first attempt at the cage, but the tubs and hinges are the same.

4-8-09 demon cage 001.jpg

6-1-09 demon 007.jpg

100_1095 (2).JPG

SANY0136.JPG

Unless you are using a really big tire, fitting the aftermarket tub is tougher.

I have a pair of factory wheelhouses, inner and outer, I'll sell. I'm in Indio.

Good Job, it looks great! I was originally going to mini tub my dart by widening the factory wells but it was my first time doing it and I didn't like the results, so I sh$t canned the idea and thought about the aftermarket wheel tub option. I haven't bought any tubbs yet, I'm just trying to do my research and get the pro's and con's of each. I still have the outside factory wells in place and I may just go back to the original plan. But your pics make me feel a little better about the wheel tub option. Thanks

Post some pics of what you have done. Depending on where you cut them, might make a difference in saving the outer.

I usually sell inner/outers for $125 ea roughly half of what AMD wants. If you need both we could work something out.

Dart outers are not the same as Dusters, unless it's a Dart Sport.

I'll get some pics on here tomorrow and maybe you guys can give some direction. I do know that I didn't cut too much out of the well to go back to the factory widening. I left it so that I could have a choice. I think what it boils down to is that the aftermarket tubs are cheaper, but the are also more labor intensive to install. Has anybody seen a major difference in the size of the tire they can run with an aftermarket tub as opposed to the factory widening?

I have put 13x31x15 in my mini-tubed 68 dart. now i am building a 69 barracuda and doing the same. i used aftermarket ones 38"wide
worked great for me.

I have used full tubs in a duster and have mini-tubbed my dart. By far the easiest is mini-tubbed. Unless you plan on moving in your frame rails or back-halfing your car there is no benefit to full tubs.

-
Back